to think it could be nice?

(6 Posts)
WatchingAndLearning Fri 26-Feb-16 22:43:47

Hi,

I feel a bit embarrassed to confess, but I watch a lot of YouTube beauty videos and really enjoy to read fashion/beauty blogs.  I follow beauty/fashion instagramers and even have a snapchat account so I can also follow some of my favourite ones there too and get to sneak on the bits of their day that they want to share with the world.  

Before you even wonder, I do have a life! I'm a mum of 2 little ones and on my late 30s. I have the house, the kids, husband, house work, food, cooking, cleaning, etc to worry and take care day in day out. So please don't mistake me for someone that do nothing at all  All the things I mentioned above I do on my little spare time (lunch hours and before go to bed)

My point is: I have an office job (9-5 one), and while I seat on my desk everyday to do the same thing over and over again, I can't help to think how lovely it should be to be able work and earn well (gosh! bloggers and youtubers earn soooo much money!) only by making blog posts and videos about all the girly things we women like so much.

I sometimes even think about creating a blog myself  and try that world in paralell to my "real" life just to see how it goes...but I feel ashamed of doing it  Maybe because the segment is dominated by young girls and I feel it's kinda ridiculous that I even think of going down that road on my age range...

I just wanted to put that out of my chest and would like to know if anyone over there ever thought / felt the same? Or is it just me? 

bornwithaplasticspoon Fri 26-Feb-16 22:46:16

Give it a go if you feel there's a gap in the market.

HeddaGarbled Fri 26-Feb-16 23:24:44

No harm in trying. Maybe angle it at your age range and/or working mothers to distinguish it from the youngsters. You should do some research on what makes a successful blogger - internet research would be a good place to start though you can buy courses and professional advice as well. I know several people who have tried blogging but don't really get much of an audience because they rely on people finding them rather than marketing and publicising their blogs properly.

Chocoholicmonster Sat 27-Feb-16 00:00:47

I wouldn't be embarrassed to 'confess' this - take SprinkleofGlitter for instance. She's an ''older'' woman & a mother of one. She now earns a living doing beauty / lifestyle / mother vlogs & blog posts.

I do believe it's a very hard thing to get into to become popular enough to actually earn a full time wage doing this though but it's certainly worth a shot. Even if it never becomes more than just a hobby & a way to connect with like minded people smile

antimatter Sat 27-Feb-16 00:08:03

I think people underestimate how time consuming is picture and video editing.
Try to learn those skills alongside writing and photographing what you are passionate about.
I think if you have talent and USP you will succeed (if you prepare to put a lot of hard work into it!).

Katenka Sat 27-Feb-16 06:12:46

One of my friends teenage dd has a you tube channel and earns a very small amount from it.

It's very time consuming, the planning the filming and the editing.

I know loads of bloggers through work again, it's time consuming. Especially for the ones who are doing well.

That said I don't think you have to be young to do it. If you want to do it, go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now