Aibu to dress dd up as slightly sexy character for world book day

(47 Posts)
boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 16:57:20

Wondering if appropriate to dress dd age 11 as Black Widow from Avengers comic book series. Trying to work with what she has. Found black leather jacket, leggings, boots could spray hair red and put mascara and red lippy on. Dont know if she will look inapropriate as its a bit of a 'sexy' look. Dont want to buy anything and everything else she has is just normal clothes. Thoughts?

originalmavis Fri 26-Feb-16 17:00:43

Does she want it be the black widow? I probably wouldn't 'get' it though.

MrsEricBana Fri 26-Feb-16 17:01:54

Yes ywbu

boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:03:15

Ha i dont think she even knows who she is but like i say trying to work with what she has. To be fair though i cant tell from looking at most dressed up kids who they are supposed to be.

wigglesrock Fri 26-Feb-16 17:03:36

What about Tris from Divergent - black leggings, black vest and black leather jacket? That's what dd1 is doing - I've got her some transfer tattoos as well.

WorraLiberty Fri 26-Feb-16 17:03:38

You could do it without the mascara and lippy I suppose.

boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:04:34

Ok im unreasonable lol back off to google!

teeththief Fri 26-Feb-16 17:04:39

Sorry I think YWBU.

You could use the same outfit for Katniss from Hunger Games but give her a bow and arrow?

TheSpottedZebra Fri 26-Feb-16 17:05:27

No, it's a bit odd to dress your 15yo up as a sexy character, when she doesn't know who she is. IMHO.

There are loads of characters in normal clothes, what books does she like?

boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:06:04

Ooh Wrigglerock i have absolutely no clue who that is but is sounds like it would work! Thank you x

ButtonLoon Fri 26-Feb-16 17:06:20

Why would you dress her up as a character she doesn't know?

mouldycheesefan Fri 26-Feb-16 17:06:21

If she doesn't know who the character is then I wouldn't pick that. They are supposed to be able to talk about their character and they book they are in. Dressing sexy age 11 as a character your child doesn't know may make her feel uncomfortable.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 26-Feb-16 17:06:31

No idea why 11yo autocorrected to 15yo there!

boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:08:04

She knows Hunger Games!! another great idea, thanks. Spotted she is 11 not 15, probably even worse deep down knew i was unreasonable but desperate!

BeyondBootcampsAgain Fri 26-Feb-16 17:09:12

My four year old went as black widow for CiN. He insisted.
Black leggings and a black t shirt, and some black fingerless gloves. He did have a red wig on, but was a bit inconvenient for nursery grin

boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:09:17

Button because im skint and cant afford costume lol.

wigglesrock Fri 26-Feb-16 17:09:17

No bother - dd hasn't read the book but has watched the film - same thing wink

wigglesrock Fri 26-Feb-16 17:11:56

We did Katniss last year - black tshirt, black jeans and I'd an old green army type jacket she wore, but a leather jacket would be grand. So far this year I've a Triss, a Ginny Weasley and the youngest (she's 5 - P1) just has to wear her pjs and bring a favourite book in.

boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:12:03

Just googled Tris, dd actually has that hairstyle lol gonna be fab, thank you x

boopsy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:13:11

Aww bless him Beyond bet he looked cute!

ohidoliketobe Fri 26-Feb-16 17:17:01

Tonks from the later Harry Potter books (Order of the Phoenix onwards ) dresses quite biker boots and leather jacket esque but isn't as sexualised. Pink hair and a wand..

Katenka Fri 26-Feb-16 17:22:12

You can do black widow but not sexy. Especially leave the make up off.

I do like the idea of Tris or Katniss though

Hulababy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:26:23

YABU to dress her as a character she doesn't know.
WBD dress up is supposed to be a character from a book they child knows/has read, surely?

Lots of normal people characters in many books, that don't really need a costume as such, n's for an 11y surely?

BunnyTyler Fri 26-Feb-16 17:32:09

What does she want to go as?

VoldysGoneMouldy Fri 26-Feb-16 17:34:53

YABU to dress her up 'sexy' in any way - creepy. And also to dress her as a character she doesn't know. It's not "dress up as a character your parents know" day.

There are plenty of simple, affordable costumes you can do with stuff from home that kids of that age will be familiar with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now