voting competitions

(6 Posts)
catchafallinggorilla Fri 26-Feb-16 13:14:51

Yes voting competitions suck a lot but AIBU to think that it is off for someone to use their own business very heavily to get votes in a family competition? Doesn't seem like a level playing field or is that just what is done now? If you don't have a business just don't bother entering?

Arfarfanarf Fri 26-Feb-16 13:19:12

It doesn't seem fair does it but they're all a con anyway, just about who can muster up the most support, not about what is actually objectively the cutest baby/sweetest pet/nicest garden/etc etc

There is no level playing field. Unless it's against the rules of this specific competition to ask for votes then really it's a free for all.

And I think with fb voting competitions they want people to spread it because it's all about the clicks. Same with phone votes, call up the line every 30 seconds because it's about the phone charges.

CombineBananaFister Fri 26-Feb-16 13:23:27

Is it one of those 'best looking baby' things on FB or 'this couple deserves the wedding most' but is actually down to who's got the most friends?

FWIW, I hate being told 'to not forget vote' for a friends entry because I don't like being told what to do and I'd prefer to vote based on merit, if at all. Not sure if that makes me an awkward arsehole or person of integrity wink

I'm in the minority though, so best to just suck it up - the most deserving person does not win, that's life.

catchafallinggorilla Fri 26-Feb-16 13:37:29

So a business to ask for votes so that they can win is valid? What a complete waste of time for normal entrants!!

Arfarfanarf Fri 26-Feb-16 14:30:38

yup.

valid and fair are different things.
Unless it's against the rules it is valid. Whether it's fair or not is another matter but if it's not against the rules then they aren't doing anything they shouldn't.

in terms of the rules of course.

Which brings us back to fair.

Unfortunately these things really aren't fair.

What people need to do is to not enter them. And say why. If enough people did that then organisers would find a better way of doing it that people were happy with.

LogicalThinking Fri 26-Feb-16 15:02:52

I never vote in those things, I can't stand them.
I'm sure if you had the same support you wouldn't refuse it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now