AIBU to think woodchip wallpaper....

(37 Posts)
Fizzielove Thu 25-Feb-16 18:38:10

Was invented by Satan!!

I swear trying to strip 1 wall of the bloody stuff with a gazillion years worth of paint on it took all afternoon !!

It's evil I tell you!!

WIBU to burn the house down to get rid of it! ( I promise I won't really!) There's sooooo much of it

lizzydrippingsghost Thu 25-Feb-16 18:56:50

i feel your pain
i had to strip it off the kitchen with fucking tears in my eyes even a steamer didnt help much
whoever invented that shit must of had a warped sense of humour

Netflixandchill Thu 25-Feb-16 19:01:52

OMG

We have a lot of anaglypta in the house, started stripping some in one room and it was coming off surprisingly easy, underneath was WOOD CHIP WALLPAPER and underneath that the plaster disintegrated and we had nothing but bare brickwork.

Now the anaglypta has grown on me because I know the horrors that lie beneath. The very structure of my house is held together with wallpaper

MiaowTheCat Thu 25-Feb-16 19:06:19

To be fair to the founders of woodchip hell - it does what it was intended to - to be something to put on the wall and be infinitely paintoverable.

The fact it's hideous and will be on the wall till the end of time is beside the point I guess.

TitClash Thu 25-Feb-16 19:10:33

Did you know it actually blocks some forms of radiation because its so thick?
I've stripped 3 houses that were completely papered in it. The secret is;
If its been painted with gloss pain score it with a knife every few inches.
Then dont bother with a steamer or anything. Just start wiping it with hot water with a drop of detergent in it, and keep doing that every 20 mins til its soaked down to the plaster. then it will just lift off.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Thu 25-Feb-16 20:22:33

We had woodchip paper on the walls and polystyrene tiles on the ceiling here when we moved in. The ceiling tiles appeared to be stuck on with something akin to chewing gum. In the end it was easier to take the ceilings down and replace them than try to scrape off the tiles.

My parents had woodchip, it lasted for about 40 years with successive coats of paint. The room was probably measurably smaller at the end grin

lessthanBeau Thu 25-Feb-16 20:24:47

We used to pick the wood chips out of the paper when we were bored!

tinyterrors Thu 25-Feb-16 20:40:02

When we moved into our house when I was 8 every wall was covered in woodchip paper and umpteen million layers of paint. It took weeks to strip it off. My bedroom has been redecorated at least half a dozen times between then and when I moved out and there are still some woodchips left stuck to the wall now.

grannytomine Thu 25-Feb-16 20:50:25

It always reminds me of coconut ice. If you see me gazing at woodchip wallpaper that's what I'm thinking of.

bigbluebus Thu 25-Feb-16 20:51:42

My Mother's house is a vision in woodchip and anaglypta wallpaper with layers and layers of paint on top. It also has polystyrene tiles on the ceilings in the living and dining rooms. DM is 87 and may shortly be moving into a care home which means the house will need to be sold. I already feel sorry for whoever buys it and needs to renovate/redecorate. The only saving grace may be that the house also needs re-wiring so they will probably need some plastering doing anyway, meaning they can damage the plaster getting the paper off (if that's what it takes) safe in the knowledge that the plasterer will be able to put it right.

BartholinsSister Thu 25-Feb-16 20:56:37

Wallpaper scoring tool + wallpaper stripper fluid. Piece of piss smile

ProcrastinatorGeneral Thu 25-Feb-16 21:10:48

It's easier just to have a plasterer skim over it.

Fizzielove Thu 25-Feb-16 22:30:21

BatholinsSister - I've used a scoring tool and soaked it with wallpaper stripping liquid and it's still painful tho I have now discovered it came off easier than the several layers of paper on top of each other in the hall!

witsender Thu 25-Feb-16 22:33:09

Urgh, every bloody surface on this house was texture when we bought it. Artex, woodchip, polystyrene tiles...the works. Most woodchip was painted mint green (with matching carpet and bathroom suite) with red gloss underneath. Sigh.

665TheNeighbourOfTheBeast Thu 25-Feb-16 22:49:31

Couldn't you do the thing that usually marks the end of longevity to anything in our house.. Find it useful.
Once you realise you can use it as an all over body exfoliator it will start dropping off the walls of its own accord.
Clearly striping yourself naked and running yourself up and down your wallpaper is a suggestion you should take entierly seriously and if there should be any unexpected side effects, like permanent scarring, excessive bleeding, laughing neighbours and loud screaming, you will simply have done it wrongly.
I am not a responsible adult and all advice should be taken entierly at your own risk.

Oldraver Thu 25-Feb-16 23:23:13

We had a three bedroom house where the builders put woodchip in all the way through. The whole estate was the same and people used to joke it added a 1000 to your house price if you had got rid of it.. .

Its especially a pain as you are essentially scraping paint as well and its easy to get minute bits down your nails, and thats before you realise it comes off in two parts with random wood chippings in between

LBOCS2 Thu 25-Feb-16 23:27:18

Yep. Our fixer-upper was wallpapered in wood chip paper throughout. Bizarrely, there was nothing underneath it, and the plasterwork was in extremely good condition - which leads me to think it had been done relatively recently and they'd then decided to put it up despite knowing how awful it is!

It's gone now. We did two rooms and paid a professional for the rest...

Fizzielove Thu 25-Feb-16 23:37:46

My fingers are actually bleeding 😕

LBOCS2 Thu 25-Feb-16 23:39:11

... That's why we ended up paying someone in the end.

Good luck smile

TheCatsFlaps Fri 26-Feb-16 00:06:44

My mother decided to take an orbital sander to the woodchip in her old house. When she opened the door for me, she emerged from a swirling dust cloud of the stuff, and the smell was horrendous.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Fri 26-Feb-16 00:11:11

I remember me and my cousins picking very many of the woodchips out of the walls in my grandparents' house.

In retrospect, we we're probably doing future inhabitants a service. If only we'd been more diligent. grin

Donge13 Fri 26-Feb-16 09:00:42

I found burning the house down and re building was the best way to remove woodchip grin

GrandHighWitchy Fri 26-Feb-16 09:09:20

We're privately renting at the moment and the house has wood chip walls, artex ceilings the whole shebang..my 2 year old has pulled some off near the stairs, so can tell she's not impressed either. The artex is good in that my dd finds shapes in the swirls and gets to sleep looking at them hmm. I'm just happy this is not permanent. The house is lovely, but so stuck in 1981.

FankEweVeryMuch Fri 26-Feb-16 09:09:34

It'll probably be back in fashion by the time you finish grin

JamNan Fri 26-Feb-16 09:10:30

Buy one of these a wallpaper stripper and if you don't want to use it again, sell it.

Mix up a bucket of vinegar and Fairy liquid with hot water and paint it on the wallpaper before you start as it helps loosen the glue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now