If you didn't study medicine in the UK, how long does it take to do a conversion course to be a doctor in the UK?

(5 Posts)
angelos02 Thu 25-Feb-16 16:28:28

Genuine question. I assume you can't just rock up, show your certificate and be a GP?

Mistigri Thu 25-Feb-16 16:47:51

Probably depends where you come from/ where you qualified ... would be interested to hear the answer to this as DD is considering studying medicine in France or Spain.

Prometheus Thu 25-Feb-16 17:12:49

It depends on where you studied. If your medical qualification is from an EEA state then it will be recognised in the UK. So, subject to demonstrating your English language knowledge and your good standing, you can get registered in the UK immediately.

If you studied elsewhere in the world you may have to sit an English language exam (assuming your qualification wasn't taught in English) and probably also have to sit a Clinical skills exam which is one part written exam and one part clinical skills exam with actors aying the role of patients etc.

The GMC website has all the details.

SockQueen Thu 25-Feb-16 17:20:17

There isn't a "conversion course" exactly, and how many hoops a particular doctor would have to jump through would depend on where in the world they did their degree, whether it was taught in English, and how far through their specialty training they were. If they had completed their training (i.e. were a consultant or GP in their own country) then they would not have to re-train here, but may need to complete a "clinical observership" for some time in order to get up to speed with UK/NHS practice. If they were still in training then they could either apply to the relevant UK training programme, or take a non-training job at an appropriate grade. The GMC website (http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/index.asp) has lots of details on how to apply for registration, the PLAB test and the equivalency of international qualifications.

lljkk Thu 25-Feb-16 17:57:19

I know someone from outside EU who is qualified GP in own country but being from her country she would need to pay for expensive conversion qualification, she can't afford it. She works as a researcher instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now