Help! Quick! Dh about to buy a Sharan - I'm not sure!

(20 Posts)
startingallover Thu 25-Feb-16 12:54:58

Hi there,

Quick advice needed!! Just seen a Sharan - OH wants to ring up and buy. It's 09, drives great, very clean. My problem - I prefer galaxies as they are less boxy and look nicer. Also, it's dark grey, and I prefer silver or even dark red. Tell me how great your Sharan is and that I'm buying a car, not an item of clothing!! IABU, yes?

CrossfireHurricane Thu 25-Feb-16 12:57:16

Sister had one and it was incredibly fuel thirsty.
They sold it on sharpish!

Anniegetyourgun Thu 25-Feb-16 13:22:44

I got curious and reached for Google, and it turns out "sharan vs galaxy" is quite a common search. Might be an idea to check out relative stats before putting your foot down, things like cost of ownership, safety record and resale value (environmental friendliness is also important to some, including me). Also, of course, insist on both test driving it for comfort, visibility and all that.

The colour is the least important thing; you can after all get it resprayed (don't forget to tell DVLA). We once had a car that used to be blue, someone had hand painted it very badly in red, then XH sprayed it jade green as they'd left a drum of green paint in the boot! I called it "poisonous green" but it sure made it easy to find in a car park.

Perspective21 Thu 25-Feb-16 14:42:05

I'm responding as I drive a Sharan and in all honesty I half dreaded moving up to a proper seven seater at all! However, after one week of a million drop offs, pick ups and errand trips, I loved it! It does exactly what a bigger family need. In fact we've just ordered ourselves a new one!
I did pick the colour and interior in mine so that may have made a difference! We actually went down a brand as I used to drive a much loved BMW X3 but we just outgrew it. The sharan is a fabulous family workhouse and very easy to drive and park considering it's size. I love it on longer motorway journeys too.
I don't think you'll regret it!

Perspective21 Thu 25-Feb-16 14:43:27

Ps, my fuel consumption is good. But it is new, may make a difference?

EatShitDerek Thu 25-Feb-16 14:55:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mondrian Thu 25-Feb-16 15:07:48

This review should go some way to back your argument, also worth noting is that the Sharan in this review was the 2010 model which is the 2nd generation and not the earlier (pre 2009) 1st generation which would have scored even less.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/14379/seven-seat-mpv-shoot-out

SimpleSimonThePieMan Thu 25-Feb-16 16:48:13

Both unreliable but the Galaxy less so. I couldn't bring myself to buy either.

Panicmode1 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:03:54

We have a 13 plate Sharan and I love it - we had an Espace before which was horrendously thirsty, very unreliable and although it was great to drive, it was hardly ever on the road and cost us £1000s. I have four children and a large dog, and we are very happy with ours.

Etak15 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:13:03

I think - (I may be wrong)that sharan, galaxy's and seat Alhambra are all the same car made on the same chassis, so looks wise if it's same age would look the same. Ours is great fuel efficient - is diesel though and few yrs older than yours.

Almostfifty Thu 25-Feb-16 17:17:25

I've had both. I'd go back to the Sharan in a heartbeat.

Etak15 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:19:42

I've just had a Google I was nearly right!
"The Volkswagen Sharan is a 7-seat MPV produced by the German automaker Volkswagen and designed to compete with the Renault Espace, the Citroën C8 and the Peugeot 807. The Sharan is currently in its second generation and is built at the AutoEuropa plant in Palmela, Portugal. It shares the same platform with the SEAT Alhambra, and the first generation was also related to the Ford Galaxy."

So it's the same platform not chassis blush

startingallover Thu 25-Feb-16 17:25:48

Thanks for the responses. I think we've decided to wait for a galaxy. I looked at a safety website and the galaxy scored a lot higher. Also, I still feel the Sharan looks and feels bus-like. Something just didn't click. Having said that, do you get a gut instinct buying a car or should it be seen as a commodity - nothing to actually get excited about?

Almostfifty Thu 25-Feb-16 17:29:19

I just preferred the drive in the Sharan. I find the accelerator pedal hard to use when I'm doing long distances.

The thing I really like about the Galaxy is the fact the seats fold into the floor. So much easier than having to take them out of the Sharan.

Fourarmsv2 Thu 25-Feb-16 17:30:18

I love the built in booster seats and headrests in my sharan.

No idea on fuel.... I have a fuel fairy!

Ours has been a nightmare of broken drive shafts for the past four years but I love her. And the space she has for my camping paraphernalia!

Perspective21 Thu 25-Feb-16 18:04:03

The seats do fold flat into the floor in the Sharan, very easily and quickly actually...are you thinking of another VW Almostfifty?
SimpleSimon we never had any reliability issues and it's been driven to Italy from Manchester each year, in addition to local and motorway trips...

Timetorethink Thu 25-Feb-16 18:37:39

I have the Galaxy 11 plate. I love it. It drives like a much smaller vehicle, but takes loads of people, hockey kit, dogs, suitcases etc etc etc

Almostfifty Thu 25-Feb-16 21:31:39

Perspective I had the old Sharan, the shape that was shared by Ford, VW, Seat et al.

It was definitely roomier than the Galaxy, but more hassle to get the space IYSWIM.

Perspective21 Thu 25-Feb-16 22:15:16

I see. Mine was new 2013, probably quite different...

startingallover Thu 25-Feb-16 23:46:51

The new Sharan sounds great and I would be very tempted. I think that as we are restricted to an older car the Galaxy is my first instinct. I just prefer the shape - very shallow I know. Actually, I don't like the idea of driving something too large and would prefer the S Max - but that would never fit us all in with all our frequent luggage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now