To think I shouldn't have to pay this?

(19 Posts)
MidniteScribbler Thu 25-Feb-16 01:45:42

One of my washing machines was being temperamental, so I called a repairer yesterday morning. When he asked if it was urgent or not I said that it wasn't, and so we scheduled an appointment for next week (I wanted a late in the afternoon appointment as I'm a teacher). He rang yesterday afternoon and said that he had a cancellation so he had finished early and lived around the corner from me and he could stop and do the job on the way home. I agreed. He came by and fixed it, then handed me a bill, including a line item for $150 for 'same-day fee' (in addition to his regular "minimum call out/labour fee" line item charge. I paid him cash for the job, less the same day fee and said that my appointment had been booked for next week, not today, it was his choice. He said that he had come today so I had to pay for it. I refused again and said that I was not paying. He began screaming at me and I told him to leave or I would call the police. He left, shrieking out the car window that he was going to sue me.

Was I wrong to refuse to pay the fee? He didn't have to come that day, next week would have been fine, and if he'd told me on the phone that he was going to try and charge me an extra $150 for coming yesterday afternoon I would have told him to stick to the original appointment.

Birdsgottafly Thu 25-Feb-16 01:49:53

He rang you and offered you the cancelled appointment, so, no, you don't have to pay the fee.

He's filled his day and freed up his time, that can now be used.

He was being incredibly cheeky.

MadamDeathstare Thu 25-Feb-16 01:50:28

YANBU. His choice was to do the repair yesterday which helped him earn money he would otherwise have missed out on due to the other customer's cancelled appointment. He can now earn more money next week by using your appointment for someone else. He should have told you in advance about the same day fee. Every repairman who has come to my house who has a substantial call out fee (same day or not) tells me up front when booking the appointment so I know about it and won't carp when I see the bill.

Perhaps he was going to get the fee from the other customer and is now miffed because he couldn't get it from you.

MuffinMaiden Thu 25-Feb-16 01:52:19

He sounds like a right cheeky git to me, expecting you to pay extra because someone else cancelled!

headexplodesbodyfreezes Thu 25-Feb-16 01:54:34

Let him sue, there's no way that's going to stand up in court!

Charlesroi Thu 25-Feb-16 02:33:16

I wonder how often he gets 'cancellations', enabling him to charge such a whopping fee? my money's on frequently I presume if he'd had a free appointment today you'd have turned it down if was going to cost an extra $150.

I call piss-taking chancer.

PegsPigs Thu 25-Feb-16 02:57:04

YANBU The same day was at his convenience not yours. Why should you have to pay for someone else cancelling?

ChickyChickyParmParm Thu 25-Feb-16 03:00:17

That is awful - and so aggressive. Hope you're ok, I would have been rattled by that.

And no, YANBU. Let him sue.

MattDillonsPants Thu 25-Feb-16 04:21:58

Is he on social media? SHARE this crook's behaviour today. What if he did that to an elderly person. What a terrible man.

chumbler Thu 25-Feb-16 04:47:21

Yanbu. And I agree with others, make a shout about this, he's a crook. Is there a body you can complain to where you are? Like trading standards or watchdog

FishWithABicycle Thu 25-Feb-16 05:02:20

Yanbu. What country are you in though? I can't see this charge ever being upheld in a UK court but don't know much about other countries.

Creampastry Thu 25-Feb-16 06:40:00

Yanbu, cheeky git!

ZenNudist Thu 25-Feb-16 06:47:01

Yanbu

Google review?

Bellygirl Thu 25-Feb-16 06:55:04

YANBU but I really think you need to share what he did, does he have somewhere to review him? It's awful to think he could do this to people who would believe they had to pay it sad

CanadianJohn Thu 25-Feb-16 06:58:04

Good grief. Our washing machine cost only about $450 (=£225), I certainly wouldn't pay £150+ to fix it.

Of course, washers over here have a simpler design - they don't heat the water, for instance, and are mostly top-loaders.

nonamenopackdrill Thu 25-Feb-16 06:59:02

One of my washing machines was being temperamental

As a matter of interest, how many do you have?

topcat2014 Thu 25-Feb-16 07:03:43

I'm guessing Australia?

BalloonSlayer Thu 25-Feb-16 07:06:50

There are plenty out there like this. Good for you for standing up to him.

Our Satellite dish is on the flat roof of a big ground floor extension, large enough to stroll about on quite safely. When we had the flat roof replaced we had to get someone round to adjust it so it worked again. Five minute job for which we were quoted £65 < wince > by a largeish local company. Guy came round, it duly took 5 mins, tried to charge me £70. I said I had been quoted £65. He rolled his eyes and said the office quoted that for "simple jobs" but my dish was so hard to reach he charged more. How could it be any easier to reach? Most people have them on chimneys! Plus 'the office' had asked where the dish was and I had told them! I pointed all this out. He was clearly unimpressed and kept harrumphing when I wouldn't pay more. It left me feeling awful and worried and of course because of that I'll never use that company again and will badmouth them to everyone I can. All because he just had to try for that extra fiver.

MidniteScribbler Thu 25-Feb-16 07:10:40

As a matter of interest, how many do you have?

I have two. My dad and I both brought new washer/dryers at the same time to get a good deal. He passed away not long after, so I decided to keep both and have one for the dog blankets and towels. It was the dog one that went on strike, so it wasn't really urgent getting it fixed. Total first world problem.

I'm going to write a review on our local facebook page about him, as that's where I got his details from. It's still pretty small town mentality around here, so word will get around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now