WIBU to apply to go on this TV show?

(8 Posts)
coralpig Wed 24-Feb-16 13:29:28

A friend of mine has forwarded me an e-mail where a tv company are looking to be part of their new film about people from different backgrounds/culture getting married. My partner and i seem to fit the brief exactly and I'm somehow quite tempted to send off an application. Has anybody done this before and what are the advantages/disadvantages? I know there are no financial benefits but has anybody done this before and what's it like?

Pancakeflipper Wed 24-Feb-16 14:09:28

Guess it depends on the edit of the show - is it serious C4 type of documentary. Or a take-the-piss-look-at-these -idiots type of show?

You can apply and not go through with it once you have more info.

Is it new take on "Don't tell the bride" my secret crap TV fix - oh I miss you on the TV BBC3

AdrenalineFudge Wed 24-Feb-16 14:46:37

On the face of it you wouldn't be unreasonable to apply. You may not be selected and further down the line you may discover you don't want to be a part of it.

I personally wouldn't do it

RaskolnikovsGarret Wed 24-Feb-16 15:00:40

ITV asked us to do something similar. We refused - I can't think of anything worse!

Tallulahoola Wed 24-Feb-16 23:44:50

I'd do my research on the TV company. Google them and see what other programmes they've done. If they're all terrible Channel 5 'Fat AND On Benefits' type stuff then you know it'll be a stitch-up

cakedup Wed 24-Feb-16 23:48:12

Yes I agree, do some research. I've been on one of those terrible drivers programs! I hadn't driven for years after a car crash so they got an AA instructor to give me a couple of days crash course. I am a really bad driver so obviously lots of clips of me being a really bad driver! But all done in good humour and wasn't distasteful in any way. We (my friend was involved) had a lot of fun doing it.

BillSykesDog Thu 25-Feb-16 00:02:33

Be careful. They can be very misleading to the point of using a 'parent' company when setting up a documentary which is more reputable then releasing it under a different company who do more, er, 'interesting' types of programmes.

They will outright lie and misrepresent to get people on their shows. Read around some of the stuff they said to get people on 'Benefits Street'. They said that it was going to be a sympathetic programme about how hard it was to struggle by on benefits and how communities supported each other through hard times. Then they did a hatchet job on them.

Locally to me some people are very, very upset with how the recent 'Keeping Up With the Khans' programme has represented the white working class in Page Hall. They have really, really under represented how bad the problems with the incoming Roma have been. As a result a lot of the things that white people have said in the programme have looked nasty and out of proportion as a result. Plus, the vast majority of opposition to the Roma has come from the local Pakistani community but the programme has ignored this and painted any problems as being the result of racist white people who have been portrayed as thick, drunk and nasty.

I wouldn't do it personally, they gain your trust and then misrepresent you. There is a reason why they don't often show the questions interviewees are responding to....

coralpig Thu 25-Feb-16 07:56:08

Thanks for the responses. OH is against the idea and I've seen sense. We won't be applying

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now