only wanting my son to wear certain styles of clothes?

(247 Posts)
SkytecBlue Tue 23-Feb-16 00:06:58

DH wants to dress our 2 year old in mismatched/ kiddy printed baby type clothes. Do you know what I mean? Like a bright blue dinosaur covered coat, bright yellow t shirt with Winnie the Pooh on etc etc
I prefer to dress him in outfits that look "cool". And if not cool, at least colour coordinated. And match his socks to his outfit too.
It's not a contentious issue, I can obviously live if he doesn't wear the clothes I like, but DH thinks I'm unreasonable to even CONSIDER thinking of dressing him in a certain style or a particular way?

But then I have also argue with DH over the fact he will happily dress the kids (and himself) in creased clothes.

Fatmomma99 Tue 23-Feb-16 00:09:20

maybe you should both be thinking about what your 2yr old wants to wear and accommodating that?

RudeElf Tue 23-Feb-16 00:10:11

He is a child, not an accessory!

LilacSpunkMonkey Tue 23-Feb-16 00:11:17

Sounds like you want a doll rather than a child.

Matching socks to his outfit? Trying to make him look cool?

He's 2 ffs. Let him decide what's cool for himself, when he's older. For now, let him be a toddler.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 23-Feb-16 00:12:45

Clothes need to be clean, appropriate for the weather/activity and the right size for the person wearing them.

As long as he is warm enough and comfortable, let him chose what he wants!

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Tue 23-Feb-16 00:12:52

YABU, how ridiculously petty. He's a child, not a doll.

AnnaMarlowe Tue 23-Feb-16 00:12:55

You and your DH can both dress your child however you want if you are the one dressing him. However in my experience you have about 6 months of choice left.

At 2.5 both my children very strongly started expressing their views about what they would or wouldn't wear.

Cutecat78 Tue 23-Feb-16 00:14:13

If you want him to wear ironed clothes then iron them confused

Justmuddlingalong Tue 23-Feb-16 00:14:55

When mine were little, I was impressed by socks that matched, full stop. I never 'dressed' my kids. I put clothes on them. A 2 year old looking cool, was never high on my priority list.

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 23-Feb-16 00:15:50

Two year olds are not meant to be fashion accessories. Treating them like one is unhealthy, unpleasant and makes you look desperately try to hard.

YABU very

Vixxfacee Tue 23-Feb-16 00:18:23

Yanbu but will be told you are by the Boden wearing "my kids wear clothes from the charity shop or an elsa dress (boy), brother's hand me downs" brigade.

Alisvolatpropiis Tue 23-Feb-16 00:20:25

What Vixx said.

SkytecBlue Tue 23-Feb-16 00:22:04

I like matching his socks! It looks cute! He's only about 6 months developmentally, so doesn't give an opinion on it. I know it's not important at all, and it's not like I want a full outfit thrown together. But to like him to look kept isn't that UR is it?

coffeeisnectar Tue 23-Feb-16 00:22:08

Yabu. He's not a toy. Very soon in the future he's going to start being very vocal about what he wears and you will find yourself in the shops with a child dressed as Spiderman, wearing George pig wellies and a sombrero.

SkytecBlue Tue 23-Feb-16 00:23:42

I match my own socks as well.

SkytecBlue Tue 23-Feb-16 00:24:54

Coffee I hope so one day. My daughter is in that stage now. She wanted a a dinosaur outfit and goggles yesterday

Cutecat78 Tue 23-Feb-16 00:25:44

YANBU - I get it - it used to annoy me when (years ago!!) ex dressed them to look like shite - you are proud and wantbtonshow off your son.

Nowadays DP annoys me if he doesn't put matching bedding on grin

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 23-Feb-16 00:27:02

If your idea of "kept" (what ever that means) is looking cool then yes it is UR.

Clean,good condition,weather appropriate, well fitting,allows free movement for activities and practical for intended use. Are far more important things than what ever it is that you consider to be cool.

MattDillonsPants Tue 23-Feb-16 00:27:14

I used to be very controlling about what my DDs wore and didn't let DH have a say. Then I realised how unfair that was. They're his DDs too and he's always loved clothing and shopping for them so now he does have a say and choose stuff too. You should let DH have a say too OP.

RudeElf Tue 23-Feb-16 00:27:25

Ha. My kids have never seen boden in their lives. Neither have i come to think of it. Charity shop or george. Sister's wardrobe for me.

What do you mean look 'kept' OP? confused

LilacSpunkMonkey Tue 23-Feb-16 00:27:58

So if I disagree with an OP treating her son like a fashion accessory my kids wear Boden or an Elsa dress???

Can't afford Boden, do quite often buy from charity shops (but I'm a single mother of three living on not a great deal) and I doubt either of my boys (age 7 and 11) would want to wear an Elsa dress. But yes, do judge the parents who didn't have children to 'dress them' like dolls.

abbsismyhero Tue 23-Feb-16 00:28:52

my ex dh used to dress our children in the most awful combinations i mean really they looked dreadful so i designed a wardrobe where no matter what top he put on they went with the trousers it saves the stress of it all

honestly he just couldn't see clashing colour combinations and the whole no vest short sleeve t shirt look very nice for a grown man not so much for a young boy who is fucking cold

i like my kids to at least look like someone gives a shit about what they wear

Cutecat78 Tue 23-Feb-16 00:31:33

My DSDS come in tatty dirty clothes (think hi ex thinks I am a launderette hmm) I am in no way massively image conscious but it's embarrassing.

He pays plenty of maintenance (in line with CSA) and we buy them clothes for here but they end up disappearing.

Yes you want the children with you to look cared for.,

SkytecBlue Tue 23-Feb-16 00:31:36

Ok, some over exaggeration is going on here. I didn't have my cold ten so I could dress them like dolls. If I wanted that, I'd just buy an actual doll. The upkeep is cheaper and considerably less shit wiping involved.

By kept, I mean that the clothes go together. Match. Kept is the wrong word, but I can't think of what I mean. Just coordinated! Not any particular brand or anything, I buy all our clothes in second hand bundles so there are some good makes in there sometimes. But just not grabbing the first thing you can find and throwing it all together

SkytecBlue Tue 23-Feb-16 00:31:53

*children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now