To load everything I possibly can into the dishwasher?

(108 Posts)
HelenF35 Mon 22-Feb-16 21:53:03

I'm knackered. My 7.5 month old hasn't slept properly in months till 2 weeks ago when he started sleeping in our bed. Great but I can't sleep properly with him in there. I usually wash pots, pans, chopping boards etc by hand and only put crockery and cutlery in the dishwasher. Today I had enough as feel like j spend half my day washing bloody dishes so I loaded the dishwasher with everything and put it on. I feel slightly wasteful and lazy doing this but it's given me loads of extra free time. Would it be reasonable to do this and put the dishwasher on every day or is it a waste of electricity?

KatharinaRosalie Mon 22-Feb-16 21:56:20

you have a dishwasher, it's used to wash dishes. Of course you're not unreasonable to use it for its intended purpose.

Ours is on pretty much every day, I thought this was quite normal. And yes I load anything that's dishwasher safe there.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Mon 22-Feb-16 21:58:51

Huh? It's more wasteful to use the dishwasher and hand wash lots of things separately! Use the Eco program and put it on every day.

dementedpixie Mon 22-Feb-16 21:59:07

I do pots and pans in the dishwasher, that's what it's for. Ours is on most days too

Wolfiefan Mon 22-Feb-16 21:59:48

I generally use it every day. I don't want unclean dishes sitting around any longer.

eurochick Mon 22-Feb-16 22:00:58

Apparently washing up uses more water. You are just being eco friendly.

HelenF35 Mon 22-Feb-16 22:02:12

I thought I was probably being stupid. My parents always had a dishwasher but washed pots and pans etc so I think I just got used to doing it and thought it was normal. Everything I can get in it is going in it from now on! grin

HelenF35 Mon 22-Feb-16 22:02:16

I thought I was probably being stupid. My parents always had a dishwasher but washed pots and pans etc so I think I just got used to doing it and thought it was normal. Everything I can get in it is going in it from now on! grin

MillionToOneChances Mon 22-Feb-16 22:05:29

I put virtually everything in the dishwasher. Only my ice-cream scoop, blender jug and breadmaker pan don't go in. It runs at least once a day. Why have a dishwasher and wash yourself?!

acasualobserver Mon 22-Feb-16 22:14:26

Why keep a dog and bark yourself?

shutupandshop Mon 22-Feb-16 22:16:55

Of course not! --i bung pans back in that don't was properly 1st and 2nd time back in--shock

shutupandshop Mon 22-Feb-16 22:17:49

Just don't put the toilet seat in starts minging mners off

monkeysox Mon 22-Feb-16 22:18:05

Anything from the kitchen is fair game (apart from bin)

shutupandshop Mon 22-Feb-16 22:18:39

Oh and mines on 2/3 times a day. There are 6 of us.

CakeNinja Mon 22-Feb-16 22:18:53

Huh??
Ours goes on every single day, twice most days.
I put absolutely everything in there apart from the griddle pan unless dps not looking and 2 of the Chopping boards which are too big. I rarely use them because I hate washing up.
Everything else goes in.
Roasting dishes, saucepans, frying pans, wooden spoons, grill pan, the hob components when I clean it, basically if it fits it goes in.
Life is way to short to have a time saving device and not use it to save a few pennies (actually have no idea how much it costs to run but I don't care!).

Ameliablue Mon 22-Feb-16 22:18:59

I wash pots and pans as found the dishwasher wrecked my last set and also hand wash le creuset dishes and such things but most stuff goes in the dish washer.

VikingLady Mon 22-Feb-16 22:21:03

I put everything in. If it doesn't survive the wash then it wasn't worth having and I'll replace it with a dishwasher safe version.

Apart from posh wine glasses etc, but that's about it. And I think the only thing that hasn't survived were some 1970s plastic handled butter knives.

LizKeen Mon 22-Feb-16 22:21:50

Some days our dishwasher runs twice. The only things I don't put in are my stainless steel sauce pans, because my mum had a stainless steel pot that went a bit funny in the dishwasher.

However, now that I think about it, that pot is probably older than me...would it be fair to assume my relatively new Judge pans would go in the dishwasher OK?

AdoraBell Mon 22-Feb-16 22:22:47

Well done OP you've found your dishwasher's full potential.

It's a large thing with big old spaces inside. Fill it up and flick the switch on that beast grin

And if anyone mentions laziness simply ignore, ignore and ignore some more.

Funclesmuck Mon 22-Feb-16 22:23:20

If it folds, it goes in the washing machine, if it doesn't it goes in the dishwasher, if it can run away from me it has to go in the shower grin

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 22-Feb-16 22:25:40

Like others said, everything can just go in.

I put the extracter metal fan filters in, the tea light holder, the tea bag table top bin, the cats plates, the oven racks.

Even the bottom of the halogen oven goes in.

idiuntno57 Mon 22-Feb-16 22:28:33

I was like you OP. I used to wash all the pots and just put plates, cutlery and cups in the dishwasher. Then I had a similar Damacean moment.

Have never looked back. smile

Leo35 Mon 22-Feb-16 22:31:09

I used the dishwasher twice a day when DSs were small, and it was filled to capacity each time. Why have a dog and bark yourself?

Look after yourself and I hope that you get your LO's sleep and (therefore) your own sorted soon. It's misery being sleep-deprived.

MrsJayy Mon 22-Feb-16 22:34:15

Dishwashers are better these days i can remember my friends mum washing everything then putting it in the dishwasher how long have ypu been washing pots

shutupandshop Mon 22-Feb-16 22:34:32

Fluffy

Omg great idea the tea light holderssmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now