Applying for 2 jobs???

(8 Posts)
tobysmum77 Mon 22-Feb-16 19:54:52

Right so I have been looking out for a job that might be suitable for me at a particular employer for a while. Now 2 have come up at the same time, one is more senior than the other, I potentially meet the person spec for either ......

Job 1 is the less senior but my salary is towards the top of the pay band, job 2 my current salary is a couple of grand below. So job 1 is a sideways move and job 2 would be a promotion from where I am now (tbh my current job is quite well paid for what I actually do)

I guess in one way I am more likely to get job 1 but you never know what they want really..... So can I apply for both even though I suspect job 1 reports to job 2???? I've seen people do this when I've been involved in shortlisting but it feels a bit wrong to me. I'm probably overthinking it confused

tobysmum77 Mon 22-Feb-16 19:56:09

And as a first gaff I meant to post this in chat not aibu.... hmm

Movingonmymind Mon 22-Feb-16 19:57:16

No, you are DNBU! They shortlist several candidates from many applications, yes? So play the game, give yourself a chance and apply for several jobs. Good luck!

Hassled Mon 22-Feb-16 19:59:53

If you went for Job 2 alone and were unsuccessful, would they automatically consider you for Job 1? I'm thinking you may not need to apply for both?

jellyjiggles Mon 22-Feb-16 20:08:41

I apply for everything! I've just applied for 4 different jobs in one company.

tobysmum77 Mon 22-Feb-16 20:11:36

Thanks ladies I'll apply for both I think and see what happens and nominate this for possibly the most uninteresting aibu in history

21stCenturyBreakdown Mon 22-Feb-16 20:14:40

If you went for Job 2 alone and were unsuccessful, would they automatically consider you for Job 1? I'm thinking you may not need to apply for both?

Agree with this - in your shoes, I would apply for job 2 only. The employer may recognise that you'd only apply for both if you were at the level of job 1 and hopeful about job 2, rather than at the level of job 2 (because somebody who truly was at the level of job 2 would ONLY apply for job 2) - IYSWIM. And as Hassled says, if it turns out you're not at that level, they'll probably consider you for job 1 anyway.

Good luck!

tobysmum77 Mon 22-Feb-16 20:23:30

Agree with this - in your shoes, I would apply for job 2 only. The employer may recognise that you'd only apply for both if you were at the level of job 1 and hopeful about job 2, rather than at the level of job 2 (because somebody who truly was at the level of job 2 would ONLY apply for job 2) - IYSWIM. And as Hassled says, if it turns out you're not at that level, they'll probably consider you for job 1 anyway.

Yeah I don't disagree. The only thing is that I'm not 100% sure I'd rather have the more senior job anyway. I'm 0.8 in my current job so would have to step up to full time (I based the op on FTE salary), being promoted would put more pressure on top. But I think if I just apply for job 1 then I'll look really unambitious and like I'm expecting to be stuck at the same level forever (which isn't the case). Sorry I'm drip feeding info so iabu for that grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now