AIBU to worry about having possibly lost office card?

(13 Posts)
Nicebucket Sun 21-Feb-16 22:59:02

We're operating out of two offices at the minute and there's a second building my part of the team barely uses. We do have access cards for it, in case we need to go there for meetings to get something signed or just to pop in and say hi etc.

The last time I went to the second building was December 31st and haven't been there since.

I'm usually very careful with these things, but I was checking in my bag today and I didn't see the access card in its usual place. I searched everywhere- all handbags, everywhere in the flat. Can't find it sad

I'm anxious because I'm worried someone else might have picked the card up and accessed the office to do something dodgy.

I haven't reached for it since December, so no idea how long it's been missing for.

I'm feeling pretty jittery over it! AIBU?

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 21-Feb-16 23:00:38

Report it now so it can be blocked and so you can get a new one.

It's no big deal. Access passes go missing all the time.

Nicebucket Sun 21-Feb-16 23:02:52

I'll definitely be reporting it tomorrow morning first thing.

I'm just worried because I don't know when it went missing. And concerned it might have gone into the hands of someone dodgy- who knows what someone could have been doing with it since the past two months?!

Nicebucket Sun 21-Feb-16 23:09:21

Is this something I can be fired for?!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Sun 21-Feb-16 23:13:03

I doubt you can be fired. And surely you'd know if someone had used it for dodgy purposes by now.

It's probably in another handbag, or under the seat of your car anyway!

I've lost passes loads of times over the years. No employer ever batted an eye lid.

Do you work somewhere secure, like a bank where cash is lying around or something? Why are you so paranoid?

Nicebucket Sun 21-Feb-16 23:16:17

I do work for a bank, but not retail banking.

I work in operations anyway, so nothing to do with cash.

We're always told though that firm space is confidential and we have strict visitor procedures etc.

So I imagine that losing my access card and reporting two months later isn't probably a good thing

Trills Sun 21-Feb-16 23:19:11

This is probably something that happens quite often.

Unless you dropped it right by the door, anyone who picked it up won't have known what it opens, so won't have been able to do anything dodgy with it.

FlatOnTheHill Sun 21-Feb-16 23:28:35

You sound very paranoid. Just report it missing.

Clarathemagnificent Sun 21-Feb-16 23:35:16

Report it missing. No need to tell them you last saw it two months ago.

CointreauVersial Sun 21-Feb-16 23:37:40

Just report it. They will be able to view the access log to see if it has been used since December, and I bet it hasn't been.

Deejames1 Sun 21-Feb-16 23:42:30

I work in HR and you absolutely wouldn't be fired for this. Not in a million years. Please don't lose sleep over this. Total non issue. Just report in the morning a wait for a replacement card to be issued.

ephemeralfairy Sun 21-Feb-16 23:51:47

I used to work in the security control room of a big London museum and people lost their passes all the time. Replacing them was a PITA but really not something we got particularly fussed about.
We had loads of contractors in and out so to keep track passes would be automatically blocked if they weren't used for a month (sometimes less). Then the pass holder would have to come to the control room in person to get their pass re-activated so we could check it was them!
Your place will have similar controls in place. Don't worry!!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 22-Feb-16 23:39:26

How do you know you lost it 2 months ago? You're making an assumption because that's the last time you used it.

I work in a bank HQ, and losing your pass is not a big deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now