Bil has given himself whiplash on purpose

(195 Posts)
tartenjane Sun 21-Feb-16 21:45:29

Found this out yesterday and still not sure what I should do.

Bil's car failed the mot, so he waited until someone was tailgating him slammed on the breaks and claimed a badger ran out into the road. This was fake. But the car driving too close was real and it went into him causing damage. It will cost too much to fix his car, so he's hoping to get the insurance payout for the car and a whiplash.

Its more really a wwyd?

UndramaticPause Sun 21-Feb-16 21:47:05

Report him for fraud and causing an accident

CrazyDuchess Sun 21-Feb-16 21:48:23

If his car failed the MOT won't his insurance be invalid??

NameAgeLocation Sun 21-Feb-16 21:48:53

God, he could have killed someone shock

Notthecarwashagain Sun 21-Feb-16 21:48:54

Is he actually insured with no mot?!

He sounds like a twat.

OhShutUpThomas Sun 21-Feb-16 21:49:09

Report him anonymously, the cunt.

ScarletForYa Sun 21-Feb-16 21:49:28

I would definitely report him. It's totally unfair on the person behind. There's bound to be a fraud helpline and the police too. What an asshole.

BloodyBloods Sun 21-Feb-16 21:49:45

Is this your sister's husband or your husband's brother? I am only asking because if you report him he will never get insurance of any type ever again, and if it is your sister's husband you could leave her unable to insure her house,

theycallmemellojello Sun 21-Feb-16 21:49:54

This is shit behaviour but in practice I'd do nothing.

DisappointedOne Sun 21-Feb-16 21:50:14

Unlikely. Majority of policies require the car to be roadworthy, not an MOT (which is only proof of road worthiness at that moment in time - an hour later a bulb could blow and it wouldn't be).

Hamiltoes Sun 21-Feb-16 21:50:23

Please report him. What an absolute prick.

hownottofuckup Sun 21-Feb-16 21:50:37

I don't think so if he had a new MOT whilst his old one is still valid.
I'm ashamed to say I'd probably stay out of it.

UndramaticPause Sun 21-Feb-16 21:50:38

bloody tough shit

ilovesooty Sun 21-Feb-16 21:50:39

Is anyone really so stupid that they'd actually pull a stunt like this and tell people about it?

ShamefulPlaceMarker Sun 21-Feb-16 21:51:00

I his mot has been done then the garage will have it on file that it failed, therefore his insurance is invalid.

JuxtapositionRecords Sun 21-Feb-16 21:51:10

Insurance won't give him anything with no MOT. In fact he could therefore be personally liable for the other persons car damage?

Canshopwillshop Sun 21-Feb-16 21:52:41

well he is a fraud but I do hate tailgaters and they should have left enough room to be able to stop ... Sitting on fence.

ShamefulPlaceMarker Sun 21-Feb-16 21:52:43

Cross post

Oysterbabe Sun 21-Feb-16 21:53:38

It's irrelevant if his car has an mot. He can still claim whiplash from the other guy's insurance.

NameAgeLocation Sun 21-Feb-16 21:53:50

Canshop yes they should have left room. But perhaps his car failed the
mOT for havig no brake lights.

clairemum22 Sun 21-Feb-16 21:54:43

He is a complete idiot and in the wrong, but presumably the tailgater should also have left adequate distance between them.

PegsPigs Sun 21-Feb-16 21:55:24

If his MOT hadn't actually run out presumably he is insured?

JuxtapositionRecords Sun 21-Feb-16 21:55:41

Hmmm so it's not clear cut if no MOT = invalid insurance. I always assumed you needed it for insurance purposes.

kirinm Sun 21-Feb-16 21:56:16

Insurance companies look out for fraudulent claims. The other driver will explain what happens and various checks will be carried out by insurers. If he makes a claim and lawyers get involved, his out of date MOT will possibly be picked up. Better hope he's good at lying because insurance companies have sought permission to prosecute fraudulent Claimants.

I suspect he'll get away with it but I know the law firm I work in has a fraud department who deal with these sorts of things for insurers.

BloodyBloods Sun 21-Feb-16 21:56:17

I'm not saying don't report him, I'm just pointing out what could happen! This happened to the mother of a girl I went to school with. The husband was convicted of motor insurance fraud and then the wife's house had major structural problems while he was in prison. Because she hadn't divorced him she hadn't been able to insure the house and it became uninhabitable and they ended up homeless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now