IKEA instructions - is this sexist?

(58 Posts)
booksrock Sat 20-Feb-16 19:24:34

Dh and I are building IKEA wardrobes. As a perfectionist dh is doing the building and I am holding/ supporting as required. In the book a man does the building and a comfy dressed sized 12 woman does the holding. Have they been designed for us or are dh and I actually living in an IKEA manual.

ChickyChickyParmParm Sat 20-Feb-16 19:27:07

I think it would be sexist if ALL the IKEA instructions have this couple in this dynamic.

NameAgeLocation Sat 20-Feb-16 19:28:44

They only ever used to have men in them so I'd say it's a step forward.

MrsHathaway Sat 20-Feb-16 19:31:46

It should have a man grumping and a woman reading the instructions.

DH and I once had a race to build Ikea bedside tables. He produced a table while I was still constructing, and after a little while I remarked that some of the pieces were upside down. I'd finished long before he had taken it apart again and rebuilt it according to the actual instructions.

I wonder if the nc "QueenOfFlatpack" is taken?

FishWithABicycle Sat 20-Feb-16 19:33:49

It's not a man it's another woman wearing trousers.

pigsDOfly Sat 20-Feb-16 19:33:56

Well, speaking as a woman who is also a perfectionist and is currently building a 4 door/6 drawer wardrobe by herself, I think I would probably take exception to IKEA's pictures, so yes they probably are sexist.

The manual I'm using is not from IKEA and shows only the parts and fittings of the wardrobe and how to assemble them.

I shall be sure to avoid IKEA's flat pack furniture in the future as I think that would piss me off rather.

ChickyChickyParmParm Sat 20-Feb-16 19:33:57

If they reflected our house they would show a woman throwing a spanner down in frustration while a man shouts "it might as well be in Russian!" at the instructions.

Believeitornot Sat 20-Feb-16 19:35:14

I've never seen men or women in the instructions confused

SoupDragon Sat 20-Feb-16 19:36:24

I build IKEA flat pack stuff by myself and I couldn't give a shit what sex the people on the sonstructions appear to be. Do people really get worked up over this kind of thing?

SoupDragon Sat 20-Feb-16 19:36:54

Instructions. I have no idea what a sonstruction is.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 20-Feb-16 19:36:56

Ffs...

chelle792 Sat 20-Feb-16 19:39:21

Ah, I wouldn't mind. It's not worth raising my blood pressure over. We're a pretty stereotypical household anyway tbh - although dh is currently cooking while I'm in the bath is that stereotypical? grin

TwatMagnet Sat 20-Feb-16 19:39:28

What SoupDragon said. This is not something that would get brain space in my world.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScoutsMam Sat 20-Feb-16 19:43:54

I've never seen men or women in the instructions

Maybe OP has got IKEA instructions confused with the Joy Of Sex?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Seeyounearertime Sat 20-Feb-16 19:47:31

i'm going to have to ask for Pics OP?
i've been doing a lot of flatpacking with my GF watching and maybe playing with her tablet a little
I haven't seen any identifiable people in the instructions apart from the blob person who rings Ikea for help.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 20-Feb-16 19:47:55

not at all scoutsmam...the op hasn't said a word about seventies beards, fulsome bosoms and/or pubic hair and improbable leg angles.

JeanneDeMontbaston Sat 20-Feb-16 19:49:04

soup, I have a feeling she might have been, er, being slightly lighthearted. wink Like what people do. Though I do like fish's interpretation.

Gabilan Sat 20-Feb-16 19:49:10

It would bug me as yet another micro aggression if all their instructions were like it. unfortunately I know some women who think they can't make things by virtue of the fact they're female. I just explain that I can construct double bed frames on my own and don't want to be pigeon holed.

tomatodizzy Sat 20-Feb-16 19:49:19

I've never seen men or women in IKEA instructions, just giant jelly babies.

To be an accurate portrayal of our rolls when it comes to IKEA furniture it would have a man stomping around and swearing and a woman constructing the furniture for a second time but this time reading the instructions because the idiot man forgot to do that first time round

ScoutsMam Sat 20-Feb-16 19:49:31

Now, improbable leg angles is flat pack furniture all over!

booksrock Sat 20-Feb-16 19:49:53

I'm telling you its a man and woman as it shows them standing up with her holding the sides and him banging in nails, I will see if I can show a picture

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Sat 20-Feb-16 19:50:25

Yes we need pictures OP!

FWIW that is the best thing about being single. Yout get to put Ikea flat packs together all by yourself, with no one to take over or "help" you except a nice bottle of wine.

Seeyounearertime Sat 20-Feb-16 19:51:19

what is the name of the wardrobe? is it one of the silly named things like Wverty or something equally made up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now