AIBU to think that Lorelai Gilmore's behaviour is frequently quite bratty and entitled?

(18 Posts)
SqueegyBeckinheim Fri 19-Feb-16 16:33:23

Disclaimer, I love the Gilmore Girls.

I've been watching a lot of Gilmore Girls recently, and I've come to the conclusion that often Lorelai isn't a very nice person. Much is made in the show about Lorelai having escaped her upper class upbringing, but frequently she actually behaves like an entitled rich kid. For instance--

She treats Luke appallingly, especially before they are in a relationship. She expects him to drop everything every time she needs his help, regardless of what he has going on in his life, and she never seems to repay the favour.

She's frequently rude and condescending to people she views as less intelligent, witty and pop culture literate than she is.

She's massively PFB about Rory and expects, almost demands, that everyone else sees her as being as special and amazing as she does.

She's a classic example of someone who thinks the rules apply to other people but not to her. She uses her phone in Luke's despite it being a phone free zone, she drinks and drives (when visiting her parents she always has alcohol then drives back to Stars Hollow), in one episode where she's dating Digger/Jason they sneak into the staff room of a supermarket at night and muck about with the time cards, most likely causing some poor minimum wage employee grief in the morning.

There's probably more but I can't think of any right now.

(I'm still hugely excited about the Netflix reboot though)

Celticlassie Fri 19-Feb-16 17:22:27

She frequently distracts Rory from studying. She treats men very badly.

MissFlight Fri 19-Feb-16 17:24:52

Yanbu, she's rude and self absorbed

ThomasSofty Fri 19-Feb-16 17:27:14

She also gives terrible relationship advice to Rory! They are both insufferable.

ZiggyFartdust Fri 19-Feb-16 17:29:30

Couldn't you have such a list about any character? Better to have plenty of flaws, at least then they are a realistic person.

I think a far bigger thing was the Rory boyfriends and the lessons contained therein: horribly dysfunctional, posessive, angsty teen drama. Yeuch.

Nanny0gg Fri 19-Feb-16 17:36:54

I think she's a complete pain in the arse. As is her daughter.

The only nice character is Luke.

Andylion Fri 19-Feb-16 17:40:14

Squeegy, I posted on the GG thread that I found Lorelai to be be quite self-absorbed. I only noticed this when I marathon-watched the series, which I had already seen twice.

Becles Fri 19-Feb-16 18:44:31

Yes!!!!!

I only kept watching for the supporting characters. She and her daughter rory were so self centred it was unbelievable. The way she treated Max, Michel and Sookie I was surprised that she had any friends at all

She seemed stuck in a 16 year old's attitudes and pattetns when it came to her parents. I especially didn't like how they kept portraying her parents as these evil ogres. Most of their actions and attitudes were in keeping with their demographic and very rarely did they cross the line.

That scene when she ran away from home with Rory as a baby was appalling.

Humphriescushion Fri 19-Feb-16 18:50:13

Yes! going on the gap year thing with Rory. Sulking if she was not the first to know everything about her daughters life first! drove me mad.

SqueegyBeckinheim Fri 19-Feb-16 18:55:47

I kind of see her relationship with Richard and Emily as entrenched patterns, she keeps them at arms length, is rude about their lifestyle choices and can't accept anything from them (apart from money for Rory's schooling) while they want her to conform to their ideals and mock her choices. It somtimes feels like one or other side wants to break out of those patterns, but the other side does something to pull them back in and the cycle continues.

jay55 Fri 19-Feb-16 19:20:33

Luke was amazing, no idea how she kept him at arms length for so long.

DSClarke Fri 19-Feb-16 19:24:07

She portrays herself as being a cool parent, but she hates all of Rory's boyfriends at first and is actually quite reactionary about then.

GunShotResidue Fri 19-Feb-16 19:31:03

I agree that she's very selfish.

But she is great when Luke's uncle died, she and Rory ran the diner and she sorted out a load of stuff for the funeral (Somehow she was able to take loads of time off to do so...). It's hinted that there is a lot of stuff that she does for the town that you don't see, along the lines of doing all the costumes for the school plays/town nativity/festival of living pictures.

For the most part I feel sorry for Emily and Richard, but they did rewrite history when Rory left yale and tried to say Lorelai didn't tell them everything she told them. I think it would be interesting to see more of what happened before she left home.

Littleredhouse Fri 19-Feb-16 19:36:20

YANBU. She is completely wrapped up in herself and Rory. I recently watched a couple where she married Christopher amid some sort of emotional crisis and then promptly dumped him after she realised she did in fact love Luke. But then proceeded to balls that up too with her selfish behaviour. Poor Luke, he was lovely.
And her poor parents too: yes, they are snooty and aloof, but she acts like a petulant teenager when he goes to their Friday night dinners!

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Fri 19-Feb-16 19:47:55

I think Lorelai'd meant to be a bit messed up because she is supposed to be torn between her parents' world and the Star Hollow world. No excuse but I think she's meant to be quite a conflicted character which explains a lot of the things she does.

TheSecondOfHerName Fri 19-Feb-16 19:51:05

I find her surprisingly immature and helpless considering she left home at 16 and raised a child alone while working to support them both. I think she deliberately continues to be helpless and 'kooky' as she thinks it's attractive.

liinyo Fri 19-Feb-16 19:55:49

She is a total bitch. Her mother all over again. In some episodes she is so rude to people I find it hard to watch. And given that both Rory's parents spoiled little rich kids are it is not surprising she is such a little madam. And Sookie is also a melodramatic egotist. And as for Richards mum!

All that being said, I LOVE the Gilmore Girls - perhaps the 'realness' of quite complex characters is part of its appeal.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 19-Feb-16 20:00:00

Yes! I love Gilmore Girls (as my name indicates) but Lorelai and Rory are awful tbh. Bratty, whiny, selfish and seem to think the sun shines out their own arses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now