Quick one. Police and DV

(15 Posts)
BeyondBootcampsAgain Thu 18-Feb-16 17:28:01

A neighbour had a big row a few days ago, he and his partner, in the front garden. He was pushing her around very roughly, and the police were called by someone (there were quite a few witnesses). By the time they got there, he had gone. They spoke to her, and then left.

Aibu to expect they would at least want to speak to him? Even if she said there was no problem, is that not how it works?

Tiggeryoubastard Thu 18-Feb-16 17:30:36

HOw do you know they haven't/won't?

Redglitter Thu 18-Feb-16 17:30:37

Yes they'll need to speak to him before they decide I'd any actions to be taken

blueturtle6 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:30:48

How do you know they haven't spoken to him? The danger is assed hes left property probably told woman to call if he comes back?

WorraLiberty Thu 18-Feb-16 17:31:00

How do you know they haven't?

steff13 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:31:19

How do you know they haven't spoken to him? Here, you have to press charges in order for someone to be arrested for domestic violence. If she denied there was anything wrong, they don't really have any reason to follow up with him.

Redglitter Thu 18-Feb-16 17:34:59

Our force would speak.to him regardless of what she said. And one partner doesn't need to.press charges for the other to get arrested

BeyondBootcampsAgain Thu 18-Feb-16 17:35:57

He lives there and is back, the police havent been back

BeyondBootcampsAgain Thu 18-Feb-16 17:36:55

(As far as i know, anyway. They are right opposite and im generally sat looking out my window)

Redglitter Thu 18-Feb-16 17:37:46

Doesn't follow that they haven't spoken to him. They may have gone where ever he went when he left the house. They may have gone to his work or may have asked him to call into the police office. Just because you haven't seen them back doesn't really mean much

steff13 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:39:33

And one partner doesn't need to.press charges for the other to get arrested.

Here in the US they do, unless the police witness the violence, which I assume they did not, since he was gone when they got there.

(As far as i know, anyway. They are right opposite and im generally sat looking out my window)

Are you Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window?

Redglitter Thu 18-Feb-16 17:41:46

In the UK it's different. Police don't need to witness it to arrest one partner

BeyondBootcampsAgain Thu 18-Feb-16 17:41:52

I am disabled steff, (hence the not moving much) so maybe smile

BeyondBootcampsAgain Thu 18-Feb-16 17:42:29

And yes im uk

BeyondBootcampsAgain Thu 18-Feb-16 17:43:53

I hope they have just caught up with him elsewhere (though he doesnt work so not there)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now