To think my OH is being unsupportive?

(9 Posts)
MrsAttending Wed 17-Feb-16 18:17:21

AIBU to find my OH unsupportive?

I need to lose some weight and fast (I have an event in 2 months) and my outfit doesn't fit right now. There's no alternative outfit. It's this or nothing.

I know this and am finding it a huge struggle (numerous reasons I won't go into right now).

OH is making unhelpful comments about what I'm eating/ buying. It's diet talk ALL the time and it's making me not want to do it as its obsessive and the dress gets mentioned all the time and how it doesn't fit (I know this!)

One of tonight's bitchiest comments was "well just tell X that you like cream cakes more than her".

If OH was being genuinely supportive it would be okay but I feel unsupported. I'm wondering if something like the Cambridge diet or similar would be the way to go as it would just be the shakes and small meals and then OH wouldn't have room to comment.

I don't know if I am just hormonal right now or if OH is being a bitch about it unsupportive !

LordBrightside Wed 17-Feb-16 18:19:01

He sounds like a prat. That said, this is your responsibility, you need to do it yourself and not rely on "support".

LilacAndLovely Wed 17-Feb-16 18:25:36

It depends tbh.

If you're doing your best to lose weight and he keeps mentioning it out of the blue and being derogatory and unhelpful all the time then yes he is a prat and yanbu.

On the other hand...there is nothing so frustrating as having to listen to my sister someone moaning constantly about how they're overweight and can't fit into x outfit and they only have two months left to lose a stone whilst still reaching for the cream cakes. It's hugely irritating and at times, yes, I find it very hard to appear supportive of her because it's mainly talk with no action.

Katenka Wed 17-Feb-16 18:27:48

I am with lilac.

It depends on what else is happening.

I am losing weight currently. I have talked about it in the past and can't blame dh for making comments about what I am eating. Because come 9pm he will be listening to me moan about not wanting to go on holiday/ to a party etc.

It's a pita.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Wed 17-Feb-16 19:06:01

Cambridge diet!?? Are you sure?

What exercise are you doing?

CantChoose Wed 17-Feb-16 19:12:09

My husband does this. Genuinely thinks he is being helpful. I just want to throw cream cakes at his face...
Depends what he is normally like I guess. Mine really believes he is helping so I can't get too angry at him and he's lovely the rest of the time...
No helpful suggestions I'm afraid, just sympathy. DH just gets a death stare until he's silent!

MrsAttending Wed 17-Feb-16 19:36:09

I swim and that's it right now due to other health things.

MrsDeathOfRats Wed 17-Feb-16 19:39:33

There's always the military diet.
Supposedly you can lose up to 10lbs in 3 days.... Look it up.
I would do it if I liked tuna. Or peanut butter!

I know what you mean. I don't go on about my weight cos I know I don't do much to lose it so figure I can't really moan but when DH sees me having ANY treat at all (I might not have had any cake for a week but I think I'll have one slice now) he will make a comment. It gets to the point where I just wait til he's not here and eat it to spite him blush

ghostyslovesheep Wed 17-Feb-16 20:04:00

before you jump on to some fad diet band wagon start with something like FitnessPal and actually track what you are eating

If you eat less calories than you need/use you WILL lose weight - that's a fact

if you are 'always dieting' and not losing you are not dieting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now