To think Ikea should do curtains in different lengths?

(12 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Sat 13-Feb-16 21:47:03

I'm looking online at Ikea curtains. ALL the ones I've looked at are massively long: 300cm. Am I being unreasonable to think they should do SOME in a shorter length?? I guess it's so they can be taken up, but I can't sew which means I'm pretty stuffed...

Yes, it's utterly trivial but it was really annoying me makes note to get a life

emwithme Sat 13-Feb-16 21:51:39

You don't need to be able to sew. You just need to be able to cut straight-ish and iron in a straight line - it's what Wundaweb was designed for.

Chop off most of what you don't need (all but about 2 inches/5 cm), place the wundaweb on the fabric, fold over and upwards on top of the wundaweb, then iron it shut (following the instructions).

SwedishEdith Sat 13-Feb-16 21:52:00

Wonder web?

ThomasSofty Sat 13-Feb-16 21:52:56

You don't need to sew, the curtains come with iron-on hemming tape which holds up pretty well. Wilko have a good range of curtains in different lengths, might be worth a look?

Twinklefuck Sat 13-Feb-16 21:53:33

It hems using an iron. How do you not know this?

museumum Sat 13-Feb-16 21:54:57

A local tailor or dry cleaner will hem them for really cheap

Oldisthenewblack Sat 13-Feb-16 21:56:46

Ooh - I'm learning all the time.....Thanks for the info. Seen some I quite like so may give them a whirl. They seem cheaper than other places. Thanks ThomasSofty will give Wilko a look too.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sat 13-Feb-16 22:02:44

I had no idea the curtains were so long. I'm busy need to peruse. Thanks for the headsup!

emwithme Sat 13-Feb-16 22:03:58

Wilko curtains are quite good quality. We've got them everywhere we've got curtains right now.

CotedePablo Sat 13-Feb-16 22:07:26

I love that Ikea curtains are so long. It means I have enough to make co-ordinating cushions and stuff without having to buy extra fabric.

ouryve Sat 13-Feb-16 22:08:40

They also sell wonder web type stuff for people who can't sew.

i bought some muslin curtains from there about 13 years ago. I've just used up the last length of them in my bathroom - they've gone mouldy and need replacing. Actually hoping they still sell something similar, tbh!

ouryve Sat 13-Feb-16 22:09:43

Dunelm Mill can be good for inexpensive curtains, btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now