AIBU to hold child's birthday party on Mother's Day?

(88 Posts)
NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 13-Feb-16 00:38:23

Booked entertainers (3 pretty amazing superheroes) ages ago and now can't change the date as they are all booked up. I only realised the other day.

The latest I can start the party is like 2pm (heroes arrive at 2:30pm) as they have another job later in the day.

TurnOffTheTv Sat 13-Feb-16 00:40:50

Have the invites gone out already? I think lots of people will be out visiting and having lunch etc.

WorraLiberty Sat 13-Feb-16 00:42:49

Not unreasonable as such but you may well find you get a low turnout.

If I were you, I'd mention the fact that it is Mother's Day on the invitation.

Otherwise you might get people accepting and then having to cancel when they eventually realise.

NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 13-Feb-16 00:46:31

Invites haven't gone out, no.
I'm paying a lot of money for these fecking superheroes... would rather not have a low turn out!!!

I swear I could have cried when I realised.

littledrummergirl Sat 13-Feb-16 00:50:49

I would love it if dc were at a party mothers day- one less means less chance of a row and maybe some peace and quiet for an hour. smile

VocationalGoat Sat 13-Feb-16 00:51:10

I did this accidentally years ago when DS1 was either 8 or 9. Everyone showed up. It caused no problem.

teeththief Sat 13-Feb-16 00:56:14

I've managed to arrange DS' birthday sleepover leading into the Sunday of mother's day for the second year running. He's going to be 11 though and the mums think I'm great for letting them have a lie in on mothers day

NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 13-Feb-16 00:56:44

Oh that is good to hear vocationalgoat!

I'm kinda hoping that most will have done their mother's day thing in the morning or that if they are going out for dinner they are happy enough to do it later on.

thebiscuitindustry Sat 13-Feb-16 01:07:06

I would probably accept, as we could always have lunch earlier.

NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 13-Feb-16 01:25:51

Should I maybe let the mothers know what the entertainment is as a means to persuade them?

My DS doesn't know but he did say "maybe the avengers could come?" when I explained that if he wanted to have the party at home weather could be a problem for bouncy castles etc. I said I didn't think we could get the avengers but that maybe his dad could dress up (we did a family avengers theme for halloween and my DH was Captain America - I was the world's shittest blackwidow). These guys I've ordered have movie quality costumes. They look amazing.

Actually, maybe I should tell the mothers to come along for a look too... wink There's something about Iron man... the arrogance probably.

ChessieFL Sat 13-Feb-16 01:34:27

A party on Mother's Day wouldn't bother me at all.

TendonQueen Sat 13-Feb-16 01:47:50

I'd put something on the invitation about the superheroes, and Mother's Day, and say something like 'this is Dad's opportunity to give Mum a break on Mother's Day and bring your child to the party!' Are you inviting the kids to wear costumes too? That would be a winner with many DC.

TowerRavenSeven Sat 13-Feb-16 02:34:33

Ds had a birthday party on Father's Day one year (to go to I mean) and to be honest it was a real drag. Dh was great about it but it did kind of ruin his day. Sorry.

Katenka Sat 13-Feb-16 06:08:18

I would expect a low turn out.

I am not that fussed about Mother's Day for me. But I do like us all to spend the day with my mum. We make plans every year to do something.

Mrscog Sat 13-Feb-16 06:17:09

wouldn't make any difference to is, we'd just weave it into our plans.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 13-Feb-16 06:20:07

We would accept, but I don't think everyone would.

Is it worth having a separate chat with his best friends mums at least making sure that they can be there?

musicinspring1 Sat 13-Feb-16 06:21:46

Dd has been to two parties on mother's day. Really didn't bother me and both parties were busy. It's just a day (and the restaurants are packed and over priced ....). So we'd come! (Iron Man would just be a lovely bonus). grin

LadyLuck81 Sat 13-Feb-16 06:22:13

I'd expect to see lots of dads there while the Mums have a quiet couple of hours with a cup of tea in peace. Bliss. That's what I'd do anyway. Besides, Mother's Day in this house is brekkie in bed for me, a small gift, then we hang out as normal. I wouldn't ask my child to miss a party because of it.

corlette Sat 13-Feb-16 06:26:50

We don't tend to do much for Mother's Day or Father's Day. It's just another day for us so a yes, we'd accept the invite but I know others do differently.

musicinspring1 Sat 13-Feb-16 06:27:11

DD has been to two parties on Mother's day and both were busy. I'm not bothered by it personally, it's just a day. You've left enough time for a lie in, breakfast in bed etc. We'd come (and Iron Man would be a bonus!) grin

musicinspring1 Sat 13-Feb-16 06:27:59

Double post fail. Silly phone. Sorry!

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Feb-16 06:28:27

Wouldn't bother me at all, and as others have said, Mothers Day is very low key in our house. I'd relish the chance for a couple of hours to myself - maybe you should invite siblings too?

CooPie10 Sat 13-Feb-16 06:47:04

Op posters on here are saying they don't have a problem but they are not the ones invited. I think best to plan for a low turnout. In general people would have plans.

Fiona80 Sat 13-Feb-16 07:03:38

It wouldn't bother me, I wouldn't want my child to miss a party.

It's normally just treats in the morning and normal the rest of the day. Restaurants are usually packed and overpriced.

I would put the feelers out with his closer friends mums to c how the general feeling is, as its not us mumsnet terms that are invited. It will give you an idea.

Janeymoo50 Sat 13-Feb-16 07:04:57

Wouldn't bother me either, people may rearrange going to see grandmothers (for instance in the morning or for late tea instead of lunch maybe). I'd mention the superheros though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now