to not let my grandmother hold my son

(293 Posts)
gunting Fri 12-Feb-16 19:06:14

My grandmother is a heavy smoker. My son is 3 months old and i refuse to take him to her house as she smokes in there.

She comes over to my house to visit him but won't brush her teeth/change clothes and it makes me anxious allowing her to hold him.

AIBU to not allow her? I feel cruel.

RaptorsCantPlayPoker Fri 12-Feb-16 19:08:58

Yes YABU.

Just let her have a quick cuddle. Presumably she won't be rubbing his face all over her and he's 3 months old, not a teeny tiny newborn.

Vintage45 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:09:49

You are being totally over the top here.

DelphiniumBlue Fri 12-Feb-16 19:11:20

Pfb.
What about traffic fumes, additives in food, even our drinking water? Chemicals in soap and detergents. I could go on.
Obviously you don't want anyone smoking around your baby, but really, this is going too far. What do you think will happen to him if grandma cuddles him?

Oysterbabe Fri 12-Feb-16 19:11:32

Everyone will say yabu but I wouldn't let her either.

MoreGilmoreGirls Fri 12-Feb-16 19:11:48

I'm going to say YANBU. Your baby your rules. The dangers of second hand smoke from clothes and skin is clear.

Hippahippahey Fri 12-Feb-16 19:12:20

I'm the most pfb mother ever and even I think yabu. Just get her to wash her hands. Your baby will be breathing in far worse just on a normal day out.

Hippahippahey Fri 12-Feb-16 19:13:02

Meant to say I'm with you on the not going to her house, I wouldn't take a baby into a smokey house.

Heirhelp Fri 12-Feb-16 19:14:27

I believe the government guidelines to prevents SIDS is smokers must wash and change clothes before holding baby. So yanbu

FoundNeverland Fri 12-Feb-16 19:14:28

YABU and a tad hysterical. It's her great grandchild. I'm sure she held you when you were a baby and, presuming she was a smoker then, have you suffered any ill effects?

gunting Fri 12-Feb-16 19:15:41

Found yes she did hold me when I was a baby and I've had asthma since I was 2. So has my brother and it's never been in our family before that.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 12-Feb-16 19:15:47

You're being ridiculous.

Stars1 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:16:27

Can you put a towel/blanket on her to make a layer between them.

My lovely MIL wore the worst heavy perfume ever (to cover up the smoky smell) and DD used to stink of it after she held her. She had bad eczema too which didn't help.

FoundNeverland Fri 12-Feb-16 19:16:44

Government guidelines do not say smokers have to wash and change clothes before holding a baby:

www.nidirect.gov.uk/sudden-infant-death-syndrome-sids

Oysterbabe Fri 12-Feb-16 19:17:03

If she's refusing to change her clothes then obviously holding him isn't that important to her.

gobbin Fri 12-Feb-16 19:17:03

Not going to her smokey house I understand. The dangers of actual smoke breathed in is clear.
Not convinced about smoke held on clothes/skin, this is just precious.
Not letting her hold him in your house unless she's brushed her teeth - very OTT.

BlueJug Fri 12-Feb-16 19:17:27

YABU - it will mean the world to her.

Do you drive with your child in the car? Far worse fumes there. Fresh paint in the nursery? MDF furniture? Planning on flying anywhere before he is 18?

As long as she doesn't breathe all over him it will make no difference to his health and will be so special for her.

He is so to have a mother who cares so much but he will be fine

Toria2014 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:18:15

YANBU

Cleensheetsandbedding Fri 12-Feb-16 19:18:45

I didn't allow this either, not when dd was very little . Smokers who visited me had to wash their hands and take their outer top off if they wanted to hold her. Nobody was arsed about it.

Smoke still comes out of your mouth for a while after you have been fagging it. I didn't want it lingering over my babies face

If she comes can you get her to do that?

VimFuego101 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:19:01

YANBU. I never understand the people who jump on these threads saying people are being silly about it and it won't do any harm. It does pose a risk - it increases the risk of SIDS.

Even if that weren't the case, smokers smell horrible and I wouldn't want my tiny baby stinking of stale smoke.

FoundNeverland Fri 12-Feb-16 19:19:17

your asthma is more likely to be due to genetic factors than your grandmother holding you as a baby. I agree entirely with you that you shouldn't take the baby into her house.

ThirtyNineWeeks Fri 12-Feb-16 19:20:09

How utterly preposterous you are.

FoundNeverland Fri 12-Feb-16 19:20:52

VimFuego - can you share research that shows that smokers holding newborns causes SIDS?

Whatdoidohelp Fri 12-Feb-16 19:21:32

Unless you lived with her that's not the reason you have asthma.

I wouldn't go to her house but I would let her hold in the baby in my house after washing hands.

hmcAsWas Fri 12-Feb-16 19:21:48

Completely, utterly, totally unreasonable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now