to ask my boss if I can work in a different office today? Quick poll

(11 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 11-Feb-16 09:17:53

I wouldnt normally MN at work but I need to know if I am being a bit precious or not?

A colleague has been off with the flu for a few days, they have come in today and still sound congested and say they still feel a bit rubbish.

The thing is, tomorrow, I am going to visit my mum to take her out for a birthday treat (its been planned for ages and she is very excited), but she has stage 4 metastatic lung cancer and is currently undergoing chemotherapy.

I know that by going out she is taking a risk of picking up an infection but I am scared of picking something up here and taking it there....

Our company is quite flexible and we can work in different offices/from home (unfortunately not an option for me today), so WIBU to ask if I can work in another office today? Or am I being precious or paranoid?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Thu 11-Feb-16 09:21:53

Are you currently in the office with her?

If you are, it's probably too late - although I'd definitely ask to sit away from her/go work from home as soon as you can. Could you hijack a meeting room for the day?

If you're not, definitely ask to work elsewhere.

Where are you taking your Mum? There seems to be germs everywhere at the moment, I've been in Birmingham, Warwickshire and London this week and there seems to be some awful chest infection type bug that's knocking people out for days. If it's lunch or dinner, you could give the restaurant a heads up and ask that they seat you in a booth away from people and give it a good clean when the people before you leave?

I hope it's a good day out for you both.

SistersOfPercy Thu 11-Feb-16 09:29:05

Firmly on the fence. So many airborne viruses around you could theoretically pick up anything from anywhere, assume you'll be using works toilets etc, the kitchen for a cup of tea. You're touching taps and kettles all of which could have been handled by someone with a virus.

That said, I feel your paranoia as I was similar when my DF had Chemo for lung cancer. I went a bit OTT with the antibac wipes and gel. Perhaps thats a better solution?

Katenka Thu 11-Feb-16 09:31:53

I get the paranoia. But you can pick anything up from anywhere.

What if you get to the other office and someone else is a bit ill there?

Pannacott Thu 11-Feb-16 10:15:04

Yes ask to move. What would be the downside?

PurpleWithRed Thu 11-Feb-16 10:16:42

ask, definitely, you'll feel happier for it when you see your mum

AlbertHerbertHawkins Thu 11-Feb-16 10:20:15

I would say that if the colleague has been off for a few days and is now back they are unlikely to still be infectious. You are most infectious in early stages. I think asking to move cos of this will make you look very precious although I can understand why you would be concerned given the circumstances but I do think you are worrying unnecessarily.
I'm sorry your mum is ill.

Yika Thu 11-Feb-16 10:23:37

I would ask to move. The circumstances warrant extra caution. Take some extra vitamins and get an early night too to fight anything off.

witsender Thu 11-Feb-16 10:30:41

I would ask for sure, and as a boss in a previous life, I would have no issue saying yes. Especially as your company is flexible.

lougle Thu 11-Feb-16 10:47:03

Is it 'flu' or is it proper influenza? Proper influenza is contagious until 5 days of antiviral medication has been completed. At the hospital, we isolate such patients and use FFP3 face masks for the first 5 days of treatment. However, most people with 'flu' don't have flu. They have a cold virus which makes them feel crummy for a few days.

If you're colleague is returning today, it's unlikely that you would be symptomatic by tomorrow, even if you did catch it. If it makes you feel better you can ask to change rooms but I don't think it will make any difference to your Mum.

Quoteunquote Thu 11-Feb-16 12:44:04

Keep washing your hands and don't touch your face, and you will be fine. It really works at preventing picking up infections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now