to want a cat-free dinner?

(12 Posts)
cinnamonorange Wed 10-Feb-16 14:48:45

Posh dinner at a hotel the other night to celebrate my birthday. Absolutely lovely and very relaxing, apart from the fact that the hotel's cat kept sitting by the table and staring at me. I really dislike cats, so it made me feel quite panicky, and once it started its grooming routine I tried to nudge it with my foot to get it to leave. Judging by the looks DH and the diners at the next table gave me however, IWBVVU. Was I?

SmallGreenBouncyBall Wed 10-Feb-16 14:53:19

ywnbu at all.
tbh I would have left the place as soon as I saw the cat.
in an eating place ffs
I don't want any animal near food that licks their bottom

chanelfreak Wed 10-Feb-16 14:55:30

Well was it a nudge or a kick? If it was a gentle nudge then no, YWNBU and I'm sure the looks you were getting were more in sympathy that you thought you could actually get a cat to do something it did not want to do than anything else! But if it was a kick, then YABU.

Snozberry Wed 10-Feb-16 14:57:48

There's no nudging a cat, if they want to sit somewhere they will. YABU to not want it sitting there though, I love cats but they don't belong in a restaurant.

Snozberry Wed 10-Feb-16 14:58:19

YANBU is what I meant

cinnamonorange Wed 10-Feb-16 15:10:17

Oh, I would never kick a cat! But I did quietly have a panicky meltdown while the other guests were all "Awwww, sweet kitty!"
DH even encouraged it to come over again at breakfast. He doesn't seem to get that I'm serious about not appreciating feline interaction.

whatevva Wed 10-Feb-16 15:14:01

We stayed at a hotel with a donkey that stuck its head through the window, for toast, in the morning. Not posh; more of an upmarket rambling hostel grin

harrasseddotcom Wed 10-Feb-16 15:15:58

Hmmm hard one. I want to say that YANBU but eating out whilst in the company of cute moggies seems really appealing :D I wanna go there.

chanelfreak Wed 10-Feb-16 15:22:13

cinnamonorange I bet that the kitty targeted you out of all the others as well (if he was anything like my mogs) - cats really love to terrorize people who they know aren't cat people grin

limitedperiodonly Wed 10-Feb-16 15:25:35

We went to restaurant in France and were seated inside by some open doors overlooking the pretty courtyard.

It was really romantic when suddenly a goose appeared from nowhere and hissed at me. I was so shocked I bashed it on the head with my spoon and it ran off. I don't endorse cruelty to animals. It just scared the shit out of me.

I was worried that I might get into trouble but the waitress just shrugged.

Ilovenannyplum Wed 10-Feb-16 15:26:33

YANBU I really dislike cats (apologies to mumsnet, you're mostly cat people) and I would not of liked one for company at dinner.
At someone's house, fair enough it's the cats house too but definitely not at a restaurant

whatevva Wed 10-Feb-16 15:28:56

cinnamonorange I bet that the kitty targeted you out of all the others as well (if he was anything like my mogs) - cats really love to terrorize people who they know aren't cat people grin

If you look at them, then avert your gaze, which is what people do when they don't like cats, they think it is a 'come on'. However, I have stared hard at my friend's cat, in order to avoid it destroying my knitting, and it took no notice. Too much of a kitten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now