To think the Bank of Ireland are xenophobic sods?

(22 Posts)
gooseberryroolz Mon 08-Feb-16 20:15:38

Two years residence in ROI before you can open an account; Okay(ish)

ONLY accepting a valid Irish passport as photo ID; Really not quite on(?)

InanimateCarbonRod Mon 08-Feb-16 20:17:33

Try PTSB. They're much better! If you get your salary paid into the account you don't pay fees.

gooseberryroolz Mon 08-Feb-16 20:21:12

Ah thanks. I'm staring at a comparison page on bonkers.ie in complete confusion grin

I'll have a look at Permanant.

jollyjester Mon 08-Feb-16 20:21:21

Try the ulster bank or aib. I've accounts with both and I'm in NI

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Mon 08-Feb-16 20:22:58

It looks like it's only referring to online applications. I expect they have software to verify the Irish documents but can't do the same for any others, so an actual person needs to look at it so not available online.

I had a BOI account when I lived in Ireland, I hadn't lived there long and I only have UK identity document but I had no issues

dementedpixie Mon 08-Feb-16 20:24:14

That seems to be only if you are applying online

SweetAdeline Mon 08-Feb-16 20:24:58

You just need to go into branch instead. We opened BOI accounts the week we moved here...

But they are shit so go with someone else anyway.

gooseberryroolz Mon 08-Feb-16 20:26:18

But they are shit so go with someone else anyway.

grin Noted.

FarelyKnuts Mon 08-Feb-16 20:27:10

Xenophobia is a pretty big claim!
It's online applications only. Probably for everyone's safety to avoid fraudulent documents that are hard to verify.
They accept others in person

dementedpixie Mon 08-Feb-16 20:27:13

This is if you are not applying online:

Stillunexpected Mon 08-Feb-16 20:28:44

So actually they are not xenophobic sods after all?

honeybuffe Mon 08-Feb-16 20:32:03

I second the comment re them being shite. Place is run by machines and the charges are crazy. For our joint account charges are on average about €30 pcm. €30 a month, and totally useless. We are switching. PTSB supposed to be good.

CousCousDefinitely Mon 08-Feb-16 20:32:27

Yes I agree avoid them. I use Ulster Bank, whom I love and rave about. I left AIB who I understand come for of the same dualopoly school as BOI.
Ulster Bank couldn't do enough for me. Their customer service is personal and complete opposite of "computer says no" AIB. They don't have hidden pay per card usage fees. It's a fixed fee per quarter or leave 3k in your account for free.

gooseberryroolz Mon 08-Feb-16 20:36:08

That says 'if applying online' too demented. I am confused by the whole thing.

Well I just don't know Still. Perhaps it's my first scrap of culture shock?

I find the 'two years residence' requirement for a current account a bit shocking too TBH. Maybe I'm just a brainwashed Londoner who has overdosed on PC practices.

I was more shocked 15 years ago the first times a (UK) employer and then a (UK) bank wanted me to produce a passport to prove my nationality at all. So I guess it's just whet you get used to.

WipsGlitter Mon 08-Feb-16 20:37:49

Concur, Bank of Ireland are shite.

WeShouldOpenABar Mon 08-Feb-16 20:39:04

Boi might not be xenophobic but they are definitely shite , no ones listening to be and taking them up on the cash incentive to switch mortgage to them, meanwhile they've one of the highest rates in Europe and I'm dying to get out

NinaSimoneful Mon 08-Feb-16 20:56:42

Ulster Bank are quite hit and miss. I know some people who are very happy with them and more who are not. I'm in the latter category. I banked with them for a while and found them awful. I was with them for probably six months at the most before closing my account.

Bank of Ireland weren't much better when I was with them.

I'm with PTSB now and find them to be the best that I've used although I don't enjoy fee free banking with them sad

I've never been with AIB but my husband was for years. He wasn't happy but cba changing until a couple of years ago when they ballsed up and gave his whole salary to Meteor despite written instruction to cancel payments to Meteor.

Onynx Mon 08-Feb-16 22:02:22

We're with BOI and yes I agree - they are rubbish & have zero customer service. As are AIB. OH pulled his accounts after 20+ years with AIB & a fortnight later was selected for a 'customer satisfaction' survey ... Wtf?

TriJo Mon 08-Feb-16 23:06:20

Did tech support for them years ago. Every single staff member of theirs I spoke to was as thick as two short planks and I swore at that point I never wanted any of them near my money. Things weren't helped when we found out that a server running important applications for their mortgage business had no backups and was sitting in a dusty corner of a branch.

TriJo Mon 08-Feb-16 23:07:34

AIB are absolutely pants too but I'm too lazy to swap my euro account to another Irish bank.

IoraRua Mon 08-Feb-16 23:11:18

Xenophobic, pssh, total overreaction.
They are shite though, lots of issues with pay not going in properly recently.

AlbertHerbertHawkins Mon 08-Feb-16 23:44:50

I could go on all day about how shite I found the BOI. Switched to PTSB for free banking; much better. (By the way many moons ago we moved from UK to Ireland and we're told the same thing until we showed them the money we were prepared to lodge that day, and guess what???......the two year rule melted away. Should have realised then).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now