AIBU to just shove the sofa covers on to wash and hope for the best?

(30 Posts)
Quickchangeup Mon 08-Feb-16 09:58:49

Up until now I've spot cleaned but it's all starting to look a bit dull and saggy. Would it be a total mistake to chuck all the covers in the machine and give them a wash? It's fiddly to get them off, they are zipped inside but doable. I could try a couple of the smaller cushions first maybe?! Wool cycle? I definitely cannot afford to replace the sofa so shall I risk it? hmm

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 08-Feb-16 09:59:55

What material are they? I wash mine and they are always fine!

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 08-Feb-16 10:00:47

I have washed many sofa covers in the washing machine, none of them labelled as suitable for machine wash and never had a problem so I'd risk it. But I am a gung ho "shove it in the machine" sort of person.

gamerchick Mon 08-Feb-16 10:01:54

In wash mine as well. If they come off the settee they can go in the washer grin

Why don't you try a quick wash to settle your nerves first.

KitKatCustard Mon 08-Feb-16 10:03:47

Exactly what IAm says. If it stops moving, wash it!

WhataRacquet Mon 08-Feb-16 10:13:42

I wash mine. Used to be very careful at first with just a quick wash and line drying. Now I give them a good hot wash and fling them in the dryer! They come out fine and it's lovely to have them all clean and smelling nice.

AppleSetsSail Mon 08-Feb-16 10:17:54

Washing my sofa covers is the highlight of the quarter for me. Do it!

Mummylin Mon 08-Feb-16 10:20:45

I wash mine too, I do find it a struggle getting the covers all back on, but it's well worth it to have them all nice and clean.

Quickchangeup Mon 08-Feb-16 10:40:46

Right, I will give it a go! Just wondering how to get them dry-it's too windy for washing line. Airer in front of radiator? Or total gung ho recklessness and tumble dry them!?

No idea what fabric they are, they are a bit velour like to touch (really selling it nor aren't I?!?!) I'm guessing basically they are polyester/cotton blend perhaps.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 08-Feb-16 10:43:27

I had to wash one of my "dry clean only" sofa cushions after a toilet training incident. Put them in a 15 mins cold wash with some wool wash and it came up a treat. So I did the rest grin without any issues.

I don't think I'd do it too frequently but they've been absolutely fine.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 08-Feb-16 10:43:37

I wouldn't tumble -airer or radiator are better

bibbitybobbityyhat Mon 08-Feb-16 10:44:01

If the covers are removable they probably are washable. There will be a care label on there somewhere.

I washed some "dry clean only" sofa covers of mine - they had a heavy cotton/linen feel - and utterly ruined them. That was an expensive mistake.

Quickchangeup Mon 08-Feb-16 10:48:45

They are removable in that technically I don't think you are supposed to but I can use a thread unpicker thingy to hook inside, catch the zip and gently slide it along! So doable but I don't think you are supposed too. I'll pull one off and investigate for a label.

Quickchangeup Mon 08-Feb-16 10:55:38

No care label. To avoid possible disaster I've put 3 easily replaced cushion covers in on a 30 min, 30 degree delicate cycle. If they survive I'll contemplate chucking the large base cushions in this evening! wink

PuntasticUsername Mon 08-Feb-16 10:59:17

Could you steam-clean them in situ?

ihatevirginmobile Mon 08-Feb-16 10:59:40

I'd tumble dry on a low heat - just be careful not to over dry them.
I deliberately bought an Ikea sofa with machine washable, easily removable covers... washed them, dried in tumble fine then as I was putting them back on noticed it said not to tumble dry on the label...whoops... but they seemed to survive...
Next time I washed them I lined dried them - they are a kind of thick cotton and even though I'd been careful hanging them out etc they were incredibly creased and needed ironing...and they weren't easy to iron...iron set on max heat and steam, not quite dry, sprayed with water - still took ages and an absolute pain...
Next time I'm tumble drying them again ..might live to regret that...(but then I guess I could always buy new covers/use a throw) - life is too short to faff...

TotalConfucius Mon 08-Feb-16 11:03:00

If washing them in the machine, I'd try to get them all in on one wash, that way if there is any fade it's all of them affected. Otherwise make a really careful note of the programme, how much powder you used, anything else that might affect it, and do two lots.
I usually get better results with a liquid rather than a powder, but don't use a full dose of liquid as sometimes it can foam up out of the drawer when washing large items.

Quickchangeup Mon 08-Feb-16 11:07:42

I've used liquid detergent, as it was just 3 cushion covers I used half the amount.
I'm not too bothered about fade or colours not matching as there's different tones to different covers so hopefully it'll not be too noticeable.
Next time I am absolutely buying a machine washable one from IKEA!

SmallGreenBouncyBall Mon 08-Feb-16 11:13:07

I line dried until nearly dry and the ironed them.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 08-Feb-16 11:27:34

depends on the backing - my fire guard is on the back of the cushion covers - I was advised that washing it would a) make them not fire proof and b) make the back go all bobbly and shit

but I could be talking bollox!

Paintedhandprints Mon 08-Feb-16 13:19:27

I wash mine on a regular 40 degree wash cycle. Air in front of radiator. They are fabric dry clean only. I think this is to do with the treatment on the fabric. Stainguard or some such.

icanteven Mon 08-Feb-16 13:43:46

My sofa is IKEA and the whole point of it is that everything comes off and goes in the wash.

Two words: potty training. I couldn't parent without a washable sofa.

trulybadlydeeply Mon 08-Feb-16 13:50:49

We have people locally that have a van-mounted cleaning system that cleans sofas, carpets, etc. Do you have similar around? Not the cheapest option but an awful lot cheaper than a new suite grin.

Quickchangeup Mon 08-Feb-16 14:12:13

I can confirm they've made it through the wash and are drying on an airer in front of a radiator! As far as I can tell they are fine, no bobbling, they've not fallen apart and so far no evidence of shrinkage. They do however look lovely, as good as new. So providing I can get them back on I shall work my way through as the other covers this week!

YellowTulips Mon 08-Feb-16 14:33:11

A tip I was given when washing my covers was to put them back on slightly damp.

The ensures they stretch back into the right shape as they finish drying.

I now actually dry the covers to "iron dry" mode on my tumble dryer, pop them back on and they look good as new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now