To be bemused as to why people (especially athletes) take part in The Jump

(30 Posts)

Beth Tweddle needs surgery on her back, Rebecca Addlington dislocated her shoulder, one of the Strictly dancers dos their hip last year

Why, WHY would you put your sports career that you've worked for for so many years, at risk for a stupid bloody tv show?! Injuries like these could potentially mean they'll never compete in their field again

It's utter bloody stupidity!

<and breathe!>

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 08-Feb-16 06:57:28

I agree it would be idiotic to take part if you depend on your body for a living, but Beth is not an idiot, because she has already retired from competitive gymnastics. Dunno about Adlington, I have a feeling she might have retired too.

Ola Jordan was still dancing for a living and I do think that was pretty foolhardy, but she wasn't injured on the show, she did her leg in while simply learning to ski on a dry ski slope prior to taking part.

ComposHatComesBack Mon 08-Feb-16 06:59:09

I thought that when 'strictly dancer may never dance again' headlines were knocking about in the tabloids after she came a cropper on 'The jump'.

Of course, she was fine in the end, but my immediate response was 'should have bloody thought about your dancing career before you decided to fling yourself off the edge of a ramp with two planks strapped to your feet'.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 08-Feb-16 07:02:41

However Ola was coming to the end of her career, she retired from Strictly this year, so she probably did a risk-reward calculation and thought that the risk of having to go one year early was worth it - in the end she didn't even get on the show so that didn't pay off, but at least she recovered.

DinosaursRoar Mon 08-Feb-16 07:07:34

Beth Tweedle's sporting career is over, she's now moving into presenting and being a 'sporting celeb' - this was about making money (they are paid quite well for the Jump) and/or raising her public profile.

The money is the motivator, particularly for sporting celebs that while we might have heard of them, haven't earned a significant amount in their sports career.

(It did remind me of the photos a few years ago when the Beckhams went skiing, or rather, as David was still playing, Victoria and the boys went skiing, David seemed to sulk round the chalet and be photographed pottering in the town, apparently his club had banned him from skiing, but it clearly was something Victoria wanted to do and it struck me that he must be rather nice in real life to go skiing when he wasn't allowed to ski so his family could.)

OhYouLuckyDuck Mon 08-Feb-16 07:14:57

Money.
Both Adlington and Tweddle and have retired.

BalloonSlayer Mon 08-Feb-16 07:15:45

I'd go skiing with my family and not actually ski and I am not nice at all! wink

Re the Jump - surely it's just money and TV exposure?

Oddoneout63 Mon 08-Feb-16 07:25:09

Tina Hobley broke her arm in two places too.

Have to say that this programme is utter stupidity. Whilst we enjoy watching "celebs" eat widgie-bugs, that won't maim or potentially kill them. "The Jump" leaves me cold (no pun intended). I don't get a thrill from watching anyone, who isn't a professional stuntman or circus performer, break limbs or undergo surgery on their back for our pleasure.

Oddoneout63 Mon 08-Feb-16 07:25:57

That's not to say I enjoy watching stuntmen break their arms but there's a difference!

Katenka Mon 08-Feb-16 07:26:43

I thought Rebecca Adlington had already retired?

Not sure about Beth Tweddle. Likely she is planning on it.

They do it when their sports career is over and they want to move into presenting etc. They do it for the money and exposure.

They risked injury everyday when being an athlete. So this is no different.

Oddoneout63 Mon 08-Feb-16 07:31:51

Katenka: I agree, but they aren't working now, so why do it (silly question really - it's all about the £sd)?

icelollycraving Mon 08-Feb-16 07:34:47

Money.
There is a pool of 'celebs' that get offered all the reality shows. They can kid themselves it's the chance to try extreme winter sports blah blah but I'd pretty much bet it's the money. I guess they have a mortgage & if their professional careers are over,choices are limited.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 08-Feb-16 07:42:43

Dancing on Ice used to break one celebrity each year but this really is getting through them at a scary pace. Having said that, the only working athlete who's ever screwed their body on a reality show is lovely Jade Johnson who had a totally random and unforseeable knee injury while dancing on Strictly. She was reaching the end of her career but it cost her a final shot at the Olympics.

Katenka Mon 08-Feb-16 07:43:31

odd I think it's about the money and exposure. They want to make sure people know who they are away from their 'sport' to get other work.

The same reason RA did 'I'm a celeb'. It's not about the challenge.

I kind of know one of the celebs who was on the jump last year. Simply about exposure.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Feb-16 07:50:54

Yes, money and exposure.

Sue Perkins tweeted that The Jump is '24 Hours in A&E on Ice.'

drasticfantastic Mon 08-Feb-16 07:51:32

I watched this last night and it seems like everyone has broken themselves. Id hate the be the person in charge of sorting out insurance!

Fluffy40 Mon 08-Feb-16 07:57:14

They should donate their fee to the NHS really.

DangerMouth Mon 08-Feb-16 07:58:30

I asked DH to turn it over. This is taking it too far. And I'm a little disappointed in Davina for being the host, l had always thought better of her.

TobleroneBoo Mon 08-Feb-16 08:07:16

Davina said Beth was having routine back surgery so not sure if she was actually injured

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Feb-16 08:09:18

I used to love Davina and would defend her when people said she is irritating. But on The Jump i can totally see it.

I don't know why she does it either, very barrel scraping. Maybe she gets to go skiing a lot while she's there.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Feb-16 08:11:50

BBC News has just said Beth Tweddle's family have said she is in a 'stable condition'.

ExitPursuedByABear Mon 08-Feb-16 08:26:11

I think it is a stupid idea for a programme. So many opportunities to get seriously hurt.

Frazzled2207 Mon 08-Feb-16 08:44:26

I predict it won't be back next year!

regenerationfez Mon 08-Feb-16 08:51:59

Yes, I think Ola Jordan should have been sacked by the BBC for her stunt on the Jump last year. I bet her moronic husband put her up to it. I think it must just be the exposure, but reality TV has turned into TV that eats itself. Once you are on the reality TV carousel, it seems they just go on doing different ones over and over again. Maybe they kid themselves that its a way of getting into presenting or whatever, but its really not, so they end up just getting big paychecks for doing reality TV over reality TV.

Sparklingbrook Mon 08-Feb-16 08:55:37

Yes, when CBB was on I was harking back to the days when there were actually celebrities in it, not people who are deemed celebrities because they were on other reality shows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now