Am I being unreasonable

(5 Posts)
Alwaysonadiet Sun 07-Feb-16 17:25:47

To think that when arranging sleep overs, tea or play date at friends house, going bowling/ cinema etc etc that there should be some communication between the parents of each child and not just leave it to the kids to communicate. DD year 7 and increasingly I am finding that I am having to insist on or initiate contact to check/ confirm arrangements with other parents. Am I treating my child like a baby? Should I be letting her sort things out herself? IMO it's just basic manners to check arrangements and say thank you or agree times etc. Am I inflexible or too uptight! I have looked a right lemon on a couple of occasions recently where I have dropped dd off at a friend's house to find out parent knows nothing about it even though friend has said "mum says it's ok". Also some of these children are new friends and I feel uncomfortable about making arrangements when I haven't even met the parents or even know where they live. I suppose it may be different with older friends when safety isn't so much the issue but even so isn't it just a case of good manners ?

Bunbaker Sun 07-Feb-16 17:28:18

Year 7 yes. Year 11 no.

Quoteunquote Sun 07-Feb-16 17:33:26

I would expect to meet who my child is spending time with at a year 7 age group.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 07-Feb-16 17:33:44

We arranged things between ourselves as soon as we were at High School. I don't think my parents ever met the parents of my friends, or checked arrangements.

I suspect it's probably when it stops being a playdate that needs to be arranged (ie with set times and parents supervising) and just becomes hanging out at someone else's house/in town/whatever.

Katenka Sun 07-Feb-16 17:36:01

I wouldn't be arranging anything for my dd in year 7.

Her friend phones, dd wil ask if they can do something and we arrange a time then.

I have met parents when dropping gr off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now