to ask for driving test tips?

(16 Posts)
FedoraTheExplora Fri 05-Feb-16 16:01:23

Just got back from my 2nd driving test,failed again. She asked me to do a 3 point turn, I could have kissed her.. I've never messed up a 3 point turn in my life. Next thing I know I've mounted the pavement and I'm about to drive head first into a tree. She's screaming 'THE TREE, THE TREEEE' and at that point I had an inkling I probably wasn't going to pass with flying colours.

The first time, I tried to overtake a bike and for some reason I decided it was a good idea to drive out into oncoming traffic to do it.

Both times, excluding the life threatening incidents, I only got 4 minors. My driving is always pretty good but I have a crazy 30 seconds that messes it all up.

What can I do to combat this? I do suffer with anxiety, but I felt pretty confident this time. I ace my lessons and my driving instructor doesn't understand why I'm not flying through the test.

It takes me two hours to get to uni and drop DD off at nursery on the way, and two hours back. I neeeeeed to pass the next time.

Please, drivers, answer me calls. Tips? Advice? Sympathy? Wine? I'll take anything you're offering sad

Quoteunquote Fri 05-Feb-16 16:11:43

Take a couple of paracetamol one hour before the test, it blocks some pathways, that do not help.

and you need a long very windy single track lane, and a friend to sit beside you, spend an hour revering along it, repeat over and over until your brain automatically reads reversing with mirrors. This is guaranteed to remove all the uncertainty detected in your driving skills.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 05-Feb-16 16:13:12

Eat a strawberry yogurt before. It's a lucky charm. Every single one of my friends at 6th Form College who did passed. True fact. Mind you that was 20 years ago...

DoctorFegg Fri 05-Feb-16 16:17:07

My mother gave me one of her valium for my third, and successful, attempt.

FedoraTheExplora Fri 05-Feb-16 16:18:19

Right so I'll be eating strawberry yoghurt by the gallon and popping paracetamol. I've actually recently been prescribed proprananol, a beta blocker, by the GP which I felt helped a lot - but obviously not enough to stop me attempting to drive head first into a tree.

I have the perfect road in mind. DP gave me his old car for Christmas as he's bought a van. Just waiting for the log book to come back so we can go out and practice in that - don't fancy taking the van out confused think the logbook takes up to 4 weeks but I've just gone on to look and the next test available isn't for 8 weeks anyway.. So another 8 weeks of public transport hell grin cracking the prosecco open early today

FedoraTheExplora Fri 05-Feb-16 16:20:21

Valium! Might as well go the whole hog on prescription pills for the next time grin I do think it must be to do with anxiety as I'm so good in my lessons. It's just fucking annoying weird that 40 minutes of the test I ace and then it's just one or two minutes that I go batshit crazy over confusedconfusedconfused

DoctorFegg Fri 05-Feb-16 16:22:20

Also, if it's any comfort, I failed one test for failing to obey the instructions of a uniformed police officer. Not seeing the uniformed police officer is no defence apparently.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 05-Feb-16 16:22:23

Try in the van. I'm fabulous at reversing because of my Mum's big car and tiny driveway. When I get into a little car, everything is magically easy.

handslikecowstits Fri 05-Feb-16 16:23:04

Sorry OP but life. Next thing I know I've mounted the pavement and I'm about to drive head first into a tree. She's screaming 'THE TREE, THE TREEEE' had me chuckling. grin

Does camomile tea have any effect on you. Calms me right down.

If that doesn't work, I'd get some valium from the doctors.

Quoteunquote Fri 05-Feb-16 16:23:20

Eight weeks, do an hours reversing every day and you will easily pass.

luckyjazz Fri 05-Feb-16 16:25:55

Have you tried hypnosis OP? I am currently learning again having failed a few years ago, due to nerves, stalled 6 times on a hill start and the test examiner had to drive me back to the test centre. There is an app on the App Store by a man called James Holmes, called chill pill, and it has a driving test nerves section on it, I listen to it before each lesson, had one today in fact, and the difference in my driving is amazing, not tried it for my test yet as not quite ready but it's only a couple of pounds and has made such a difference to me, I have also lost two stone in weight using his weight loss hypnosis app, so I am a total hypnosis convert, hope this helps and the best of luck to you x

FedoraTheExplora Fri 05-Feb-16 16:32:13

Handslikecowtits (amazing username), don't worry, I'm finding it more and more funny as the time goes by and the prosecco goes down grin just wish I didn't have to wait 2 months for the next one!

Thanks everyone for your tips! All duly noted. The app sounds fab and I'll definitely download it - love a bit of mindfulness training so I assume it's cut from the same cloth.

I will practice, practice and practice a bit more (though I'm not sure I'll be brave enough to practice in the van, though I understand the logic) and beg the doc for some vallies, though I do wonder how forthcoming he'll be - I remember begging for them as an anxiety ridden stoner teenager. I guess now I'm kind of an upstanding member of society (blush) I may stand a bit more chance.

Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming! And tell me I'm fully justified in giving the housework a miss while the little ones at nursery due to the shock/ grief/ utter misery wink

FedoraTheExplora Fri 05-Feb-16 16:34:45

And doctorfegg, that sounds awful. Some examiners are right grumpy bastards aren't they grin mine tutted when I muttered an expletive o--r two-- after the first kerb mount blush

DeathMetalMum Fri 05-Feb-16 16:39:03

No advice but this was me! I also a nervous stomach to top things off. I passed on my 4th test in the end, I probably had as many minors in that one test than my previous three put together (7 or 8 i think). Reasons for failure included, not completing a reverse around the corner (twice on two different tests) even though I had no issues at all during and lessons and almost taking off a parked cars wing mirror.

I tried calms, eating various things I'm not sure what was different the 4th time but I eventually did it as will you!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 05-Feb-16 16:45:18

Fedora Your post made me laugh. I'm glad you can laugh about it too.
If it's any consolation, my sister actually drove over a small tree and it ripped from the ground and was stuck under the car. She actually carried on driving in panic until the examiner ordered her to stop.

On my test, I had it in my head that the best way to reverse was to wind down my window and stick my head right out to look behind. It was rainy very hard (hail stones the lot) so when I'd finished the reverse park, I was soaked with wet hair plastered to my face. Examiner must have thought I was a lunatic.

FedoraTheExplora Fri 05-Feb-16 17:43:50

ILostIt, your post made me laugh too grin I guess they're all dinner party stories to add to the embarrassingly ever growing list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now