Aibu to be so worried about space for twins??

(18 Posts)
Takenbysurprise Fri 05-Feb-16 14:29:45

First pregnancy after such a long wait so perhaps I'm a bit precious. We're expecting twins (boy and girl) in 4 months. Worried about space and I wonder how to best organise their nursery.

We live in a very old cottage with our bedroom able to accommodate one of those twin cots which attach to my side perfectly adequately.

However, the nursery we had allocated for the one baby we'd planned is small. 8ft by 6ft. It's a very square layout which makes things easier I think but what on earth do people do?! I have tried to find cot solutions which avoid having to have two separate single cots which will not fit in the room?

How do you get around this?!!!

Quoteunquote Fri 05-Feb-16 15:26:36

Make a large cot and bung them in together.

BonesyBones Fri 05-Feb-16 15:29:56

I don't have twins so probably not much help but I spotted this (image) and thought it might be useful on the space issue, not so sure about the practicality of it though.

This was the closest thing I could find to it available to buy, which seems more like cot and bed than cot and cot if that makes sense, but I haven't done a huge search so there is probably a lot more out there.

www.twinsuk.co.uk/products/101656/Shanticot-Twin-Cot-and-Bunk-Bed---Birth-to-6yrs/

ToastyFingers Fri 05-Feb-16 15:32:33

Swap rooms and give them the master, can you fit a double bed in the small room and keep your clothes and things in the bigger one?

BicycleGasoline Fri 05-Feb-16 15:38:23

Would 2 cots fit if they were touching each other? They don't have to be separate with a walkway between iyswim.
Or a cot bed if you wanted them to share. That's not a long term solution though. My twins shared a crib then a single cot in my room til about 5 months, when they were really too big and too mobile to share any more. We put them top to tail in the cot together. We would have got a bit longer out of a cot bed but really once they started rolling that would have been it.

Congratulations on your pregnancy. This is just the start of constant fitting, juggling and generally trying to wrk out the logistics of two babies at once, but it is great fun!

toomuchtooold Fri 05-Feb-16 15:39:56

Second the suggestion to swap rooms, but also I just measured up our cots (Ikea Sniglar) and they are 66cmx124cm which would just about work if your door opens outwards. You then need to store bedding etc in your room, which anyway makes sense with two kids sharing a room because if one pukes up/has a nappy explosion in the night you don't want to be creeping around in the room looking for sheets in case you wake up the other one.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 05-Feb-16 15:40:24

I don't think it's recommended for twins to share a cot.

Congratulations - exciting news!

BoomBoomsCousin Fri 05-Feb-16 15:56:41

We had our twins in the same cot for the first 5 months (American cot, slightly bigger than standard UK ones). The research available then (7 ish years ago) was that twins did slightly better when sharing a cot. (Think it was hypothesized that they got the same sorts of benefits from being able to hear another persons breathing that it is believed they get from being in the same room as parents, but not certain). There was certainly nothing suggesting it was a bad idea for healthy babies.

But then you need something else. Having cots/beds made to fit the room might work if you can't get two regular ones in.

Quoteunquote Fri 05-Feb-16 16:00:06

My friend put her triplets in a single bed(cross ways) with a rigged up side she created dividers as they got older. She lives in a caravan so space is very limited.

PurpleCrazyHorse Fri 05-Feb-16 16:01:37

Not a parent of twins, but we're giving up our master bedroom for two children sharing and we're having the second double room. Definitely consider if this is possible.

Also, you don't need as many clothes or toys as you think (or indeed others give you!). Be ruthless about getting rid of grown out stuff too otherwise it takes over (we only have one baby!)

MissFlight Fri 05-Feb-16 16:20:39

My friend used travel cots for her twins instead, as they take less room.

OMGtwins Fri 05-Feb-16 16:27:10

Our twins are still in their own room that's about the same size as yours, and its not problem. Fwiw they stayed in with us in the same cotbed ubtil they were touching heads. In their room we have a cotbed (140*70 mattress) and a cot (120*60cm mattress) and a chest of drawers (80*40, 5 drawers high) for their clothes (bedding in the airing cupboard, its just sheets as they are in sleeping bags) and a small book case (80*20, 4 shelves high) Door opens in too.

Cotbed against back wall long ways, with drawers too, cot parallel to cotbed with head on same wall, bookcase behind door facing chest of drawers IYSWIM.

No dramas smile

AppleAndBlackberry Fri 05-Feb-16 16:27:51

Would two cots not fit end to end on the 8ft wall? A cot bed is longer than a standard cot, look at the measurements of some of the cheaper ones and see if any would work. I found one at 123cm on the kiddicare site, so 246cm for two, which is very slightly over 8ft. What's the measurement in cm?

Dawndonnaagain Fri 05-Feb-16 16:29:10

Our twins were in the same cot until they were a good few months.

PennyHasNoSurname Fri 05-Feb-16 16:34:50

Do you know anyonw handy who could build one of these? Then a big chest of drawers for their clothes and done.

twinkletoedelephant Fri 05-Feb-16 16:45:30

Mine shared a cot for the first few months until they started rolling then we moved the to adjourning cots.. Then gave up when one would pull himself up and over into his brothers cot. And gave up our room to them and slept in the teeny room..

By choice they would both sleep in the same bed for naps despite us putting them in their own beds.

Also look for higher than normal baby gates...mine would double team to get over them one would climb on the other to get over..... And then share whatever spoils they found

slebmum1 Fri 05-Feb-16 16:47:02

My twins are in a room that is 9x8 and it's been fine. They shared a cot in our room in the beginning and then we were able to get the two cots in those room. They were small ish cots, not the giant cot bed things and we knocked out a chimney breast to make the room more square. They shared a chest of drawers and a small hanging rail from Jo Jo. The cots were I think Anna from John Lewis.

They have Boris toddler beds in there at the moment and I am actually looking into their next beds at the moment and have found shorty cabin beds with a desk under that will fit.

We changed our door so it opened out into the landing instead of I to the room which also gave us more usable space.

It's been tight and their stuff has overflowed into my wardrobes but it's definitely doable!

Harriedharriet Fri 05-Feb-16 16:53:27

Google IKEA hacks cots twins/small rooms/ twins bedrooms / infant twins etc. everything you can think of. Click on images rather than web. Great ideas.
If you knew all of the above - ignore me!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now