Office annoyances ....

(19 Posts)
Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:08:34

Work in an office with a few others workers are in and out but 4 of us in here regularly.

We normally have the radio (2) on quietly and everyone is cool with that (it is my radio but everyone was happy to have it on its quite often on when I am not here).

Today just me and one other colleague in.

She has brought a load of CDs in and had them in really loud on her computer and is singing along and watching You Tube videos on her mobile laughing really loudly while I am trying to phone clients - but turning it down while she is on the phone.

Wish I wasn't so unassertive and could say do you fucking mind?! angry

hiddenhome2 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:25:52

Well, you're going to have to be assertive because the noise and distraction will cause you to make a mistake then you'll be in trouble sad

Can't she put headphones on?

Persistent noise pollution, in whatever form, can also lead to stress.

LivinLaVidaLoki Fri 05-Feb-16 12:29:46

How can she be getting any work done?

My office annoyance is the person who wears eleventy million layers of cardigans/fleeces/jumpers and then complains they are too hot and will have to open the window/turn on the aircon freezing everyone else half to death because its so hot, but will not consider just taking a cardigan or two off.

Oh, and then gets pissy when you say you are cold and close the window.

Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:40:56

Shared offices are difficult.

This particular offender is very particular about how everything is and when she started had to have everything just the way she likes it angry

MrsHathaway Fri 05-Feb-16 12:43:12

A previous boss had installed a microwave in our not-that-big open plan office (there were five of us, to give you an idea).

Every day she'd have a ready meal for lunch. Reeked.

Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 12:58:14

Eggs hmm

MadamDeathstare Fri 05-Feb-16 13:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsGideon Fri 05-Feb-16 16:41:10

Oh god, I could wax lyrical for days about the shite that goes on in my office, and there are only 3 of us!

Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 17:10:57

She kicked off about putting £2 a month into the tea/coffee to the point that I gave up trying to have s system and it was very ad hoc (I volunteered after the previous organiser left).

We got a new manager who said we needed a system I suggested she might like to do it - the next day we all got an email suggesting we all put £2 a month into the tea/coffee fund hmm

Andrewofgg Fri 05-Feb-16 17:17:18

When we moved into open plan ten years ago the edict went forth: no radios, no headphones. People who had been used to music in their own rooms had to get used to it - obviously a lot of them have retired, moved on, resigned, died - and newcomers have nothing to get used to. It really is the only way. No arguments about what music to have and no tinny noise from headphones which are up too high.

I have a trainee who wears headphones but they are not plugged into anything; she just likes it quiet.

KakiFruit Fri 05-Feb-16 18:03:34

I don't think you can really complain, here. Seems obvious she doesn't enjoy your quiet radio and is taking the opportunity to listen to what she wants.

Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 18:25:56

She does - she turns the radio up sometimes and tells everyone to shut up
For the quiz.

apricotdanish Fri 05-Feb-16 19:14:59

Ooh, I think you most definitely complain! Quiet radio and music blaring out aren't comparable, if she's interfering with your ability to do your job she needs to be told.

IWasHereBeforeTheHack Fri 05-Feb-16 19:22:45

Livin - My office annoyance is the person who wears eleventy million layers of cardigans/fleeces/jumpers and then complains they are too hot and will have to open the window/turn on the aircon freezing everyone else half to death because its so hot, but will not consider just taking a cardigan or two off.

7 of us in a space for 7. One is always too cold. One is always too hot. Two are affected by changes in temperature. Hot person was off today, so I suggested cold person sit there - she refused, saying the temperature needed to be stablised confused

Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 19:24:38

She turns the heater on and then straddles it hogging all the heat until she is warm and switches it off while we are all cold confused

Lanark2 Fri 05-Feb-16 19:26:23

My office annoyance is a supervisor who cocks up error checking, asks me to reenter the data then checks it fucks it up again, sends me the same info to change again, then argues when I point this out..

Music in the office is well a luxury!.. We have to use headphones and feel guilty!

Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 19:27:38

Our manager is on a different site grin

apricotdanish Fri 05-Feb-16 19:31:55

To be honest she just sounds like a nightmare? do your colleagues not find her annoying? Sounds like someone should have had words long before now!

Cutecat78 Fri 05-Feb-16 19:35:42

Yes everyone finds her very annoying - to the point others moved to another office so there is me (who cannot move) and a newbie who had no choice.

It was unbearable at first but I tried to be positive and made an effort and she's actually alright - she is just late 30s not married no kids lives with parents and is quite "particular" - luckily I am normally quite laid back grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now