Use the bloody door bell ffs!!

(10 Posts)
NeedACleverNN Thu 04-Feb-16 10:02:00

I am waiting for two deliveries today of birthday presents for my dd. One came and I only knew about it as I saw the post slip through the letter box. He must have knocked,assumed I wasn't it and actually put it through my back gate luckily. I did not hear the door and I normally don't hear the door. This is why I have a doorbell. Why the hell do people not use it!! It's there for a reason

Thenightswatch Thu 04-Feb-16 10:12:27

Unless you have a sign up saying to use the doorbell the yabu, they don't know you can't hear them knocking.

I have a doorbell but it's so bloody temperamental, I'm glad people usually knock instead. I wouldn't get annoyed at missing someone at the door because the didn't knock and used the doorbell, they don't know it sometimes doesn't work.

vodkaredbull Thu 04-Feb-16 10:28:58

Doorbell + knock is the combination I go for. It's really not worth losing your temper over though.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 04-Feb-16 11:09:03

If I was a delivery person I would always knock. I know so many people that have doorbells that don't work.

redexpat Thu 04-Feb-16 11:20:46

Someone on a previous thread posted a picture of their homemade sign saying that she wasnt psychic and that they should ring the bell if they wanted her to open the door.

Sighing Thu 04-Feb-16 11:21:25

This. with bells on. We do have a sign too. Still no bastard seems to be able to muster the skill required to use it. Except after 11pm hmm

LurkingHusband Thu 04-Feb-16 11:23:18

OP: You are fighting a losing battle, as SexLubeAndAFishSlice suggests. Notice how they won't even try the bell. The good news is SexLubeAndAFishSlice always uses stairs, because "some lifts don't work" ...

If a missed delivery were a zero-sum game, it would be a harmless gripe. But even for us (in a massive city) a missed Royal Mail delivery is a 24-hour wait, plus a need to travel to an out of the way (if you have mobility issues) sorting office, between some stupid hour and midday only. I dread to think what it means for people who may be 20,30 miles from their sorting office.

What we need is a doorbell which can detect when someone has been standing in front of the door for a couple of seconds and rings (inside and outside) automatically. Although it still wouldn't catch the ninjas, who I have seen push the "while you were out" card in without breaking stride.

If I ever get around to fitting external CCTV, it will be for 2 reasons. (1) to catch the **s who let their dogs crap on our lawn. (2) to gather enough footage for a YouTube channel "lying delivery drivers" - which Amazon Drone Deliveries have already agreed to sponsor in 2017.

jonquil1 Thu 04-Feb-16 11:27:01

Our doorbell, which has an extension in the workshop/outhouse goes off like the crack of doom, and the slip through the door asking me to collect from the distribution office, at a time when I was in and awaiting the delivery, cut no ice.

So when I went to collect the stuff, i demanded asked to speak with the person in charge. And I invited him round to test the strength of the bell noise himself. id recorded the noise on my phone and was standing up the garden when I did it.wink

He didn't take me up on my offer, but was well-impressed by the noise grin

All deliveries, from that time forward, have been made without a hitch.

NeedACleverNN Thu 04-Feb-16 11:51:17

I always ring the doorbell if there is one. If after a few moments there is no answer then I knock.

Makes sense to me.

The other package came and luckily
I was walking down the hallway at the time as he just tapped the letterbox. As it was one to be signed for I would have been annoyed to miss it

BillSykesDog Thu 04-Feb-16 11:53:07

A lot of people whinge about their bell being used if they/their baby are asleep. So they can't win really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now