to want prices on a website?

(15 Posts)
Flingingmelon Wed 03-Feb-16 20:14:49

We had an extension built last year and the part of the garden around it is a real mess. It's a funny shape and I'm clueless so I thought I'd have a look for a garden designer to help.

I got a few names but none of them have their fees on their websites. AIBU to think they should advertise their fees?

CaptainHammer Wed 03-Feb-16 20:29:30

My (very generalised) rule is that if the price isn't on the website, I can't afford it!
However for something like this I assume they'd prefer you to contact them with size of your garden etc.. so they could quote it for you.

peggyundercrackers Wed 03-Feb-16 20:33:04

Every garden will be a different size and people will want different things in their garden - how can you price something which is bespoke every time?

Flingingmelon Wed 03-Feb-16 20:33:27

I guess so. The problem is, if I can't tell how much the actual design fee is going to cost, I can't tell whether I'm just embarrassing myself by asking for a quote.

Flingingmelon Wed 03-Feb-16 20:35:01

I know I can't afford the ones who have one gold at Chelsea, but what about all the others? They all look the same to be, but you know they won't be.

Flingingmelon Wed 03-Feb-16 20:35:37

To me even confused

pookamoo Wed 03-Feb-16 20:40:31

Just get them to come and quote. They will be quite used to it.
Or phone them up for a chat and ask if they have a daily rate, for starters.

I don't like it when things in shops or on market stalls aren't priced for the same reason! It's embarrassing when you want to say "HOW MUCH?!!!!" grin

tibbawyrots Wed 03-Feb-16 20:40:53

Brazen it out, tell them you're number crunching at the moment, actual project date tba and can they come and give you a ball park figure for what you've got in mind.

You won't get a quote over the phone or on their website.

They'll be used to it, honest. smile

Seeyounearertime Wed 03-Feb-16 20:44:07

have you considered Rated People and getting a few gardeners to quote on a job?

Flingingmelon Wed 03-Feb-16 20:56:49

I think I want a designer, rather than just a gardener. The garden was really lovely (before we trashed it) so I want someone who knows there stuff.

Also I used Rated People before and got a nightmare builder. Never again!

I know that the plants / work etc would be a sliding scale, but I expected the actual price per hour of the designer to be fairly static depending on the designer. I could afford £40 (I have no idea whether this is a reasonable price, which is half my problem) but not £140 or £400 or whatever.

I just think these people should at least give a hint!

Flingingmelon Wed 03-Feb-16 20:57:11

Their even (sorry!)

MammaTJ Wed 03-Feb-16 21:51:51

Get people round to give you quotes. That seems to be the only way!

Planesmistakenforstars Wed 03-Feb-16 22:45:22

They should all do free quotes. They will be expecting you to get lots of quotes and know they won't necessarily hear back from you. If they quote and then chase you for a decision that's a bad sign, means they're desperate for work.

ZiggyFartdust Wed 03-Feb-16 23:08:13

A business like that can't possibly have a price list. Every single job will be different and have to be costed individually. You can call and ask for ballpark figures though.

tinofbiscuits Thu 04-Feb-16 00:48:17

Perhaps they don't want all their competitors, friends, relatives and neighbours to know how much they earn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now