To ask you to tell me the GOOD things about teaching?

(57 Posts)
DakotaFanny Wed 03-Feb-16 19:24:33

Inspired by two threads today about why it's a difficult (crap?) job, and generally feeling a bit glum about the whole profession myself...last week I wanted to quit. This week I have accepted that's not going to happen, so come on teachers of the world...

Tell me something great that happened today.

spanieleyes Wed 03-Feb-16 19:27:26

A dyslexic child in my class scored 90/100 in our mega spelling test ( and he scored 23 in September) The look on his face was well worth all the tough days!

CalleighDoodle Wed 03-Feb-16 19:27:32

I was off sick. That was really great. Apart from collapsing. But that was only a few
Minutes out of my day.

beaverbill Wed 03-Feb-16 19:27:54

During my assembly this afternoon, I told the story of Jesus and the wedding at Cana. When I explained they ran out of wine, the children (aged 4-7) gasped audibly! Made my day.
However, I too am frantically searching for an exit after 14 years!

ImperialBlether Wed 03-Feb-16 19:30:44

They're Mumsnetters in the making, beaverbill, gasping at the thought of running out of wine!

DakotaFanny Wed 03-Feb-16 19:37:04

I teach a BIG man-boy, aged 16, quite weak, been in bottom sets forever but very, very lovely. Today he noticed that I was struggling with a headache and offered me a cuddle! I luff him! i do not actually love him, you understand Obvs I declined the very kind offer, but I was touched that he was not too cool to offer his little ole teacher a hand of kindness!

Euphemia Wed 03-Feb-16 19:40:51

A wee boy in my class got all of his subtractions correct with no support - he struggles with most things so he was chuffed with himself.

The children's faces when they saw our class puppet wearing the hat and scarf I'd crocheted.

grin

SugarDiabetes Wed 03-Feb-16 19:47:03

We took a very difficult child into school recently (expelled from primary twice and a year in a behaviour unit) and he left THIS on my desk today.

SugarDiabetes Wed 03-Feb-16 19:47:53

It says 'the love is unbroken as it wraps around the our school'

SugarDiabetes Wed 03-Feb-16 19:49:02

Obviously we have some work to do before Year 6 SATs but we're willing!

fluffypenguinbelly Wed 03-Feb-16 19:52:49

The children are wonderful. So full of energy and youth. I love it. I honestly think working with them keeps me young! They make me remember not to take life too seriously and really, who cares about 90% of the stuff expected of teachers, they don't. They just turn up and love me for a whole 11 months (then I am SO last season).

The parents are mostly fab. They trust me to look after their precious babies and it's a job that I take very seriously. You can have a good laugh and joke with some of them at the gate.

The staff are all quite bonkers, I have made some friends for life.

When you think about it, it is a hilarious job. I laugh everyday with my class. We do some crazy stuff together and have good fun. We laugh in the staff room sharing what funny things have happened that day.

Obviously I have stuck to the good things but I have always felt privileged to do my job.

wannabestressfree Wed 03-Feb-16 19:54:27

Some days are hard undoubtedly. We have 12 off sick today and I was called a bitch by an unpleasant student but everyday I laugh and everyday someone achieves in some way....
I just have to remind myself to breathe sometimes and Don't take things personally.

MsColouring Wed 03-Feb-16 19:54:45

All children in my class finished their reading assessments today which was a first.

Celebrating an SEN child's achievement in maths in his IEP review.

Children sat bold upright singing their hearts out in my singing assembly.

A child I've been having concerns about writing half a page independently.

Having fun with the kids in coding club.

Getting fed up with all the negativity about teaching on social media. It's hard work but worth it.

TeaT1me Wed 03-Feb-16 19:56:25

Holidays...

StrugglingFool Wed 03-Feb-16 19:56:34

My yr 11 bottom but 1 set nearly reduced me to tears twice last week (and once this week) because of their dedication and amazing attitude to getting a "good" gcse grade. They are stars. Passing will give them choices. They deserve to pass. I can help them do that. Awesome kids (mostly!), they make it worth while!

OutWithTheDogs Wed 03-Feb-16 20:05:10

Holidays - they are so long.

I'm a parent of four DC who are now at Uni some of their teachers have been just amazing. It's clear that there are many teachers who clearly deeply care about their students.

Dreamonastar Wed 03-Feb-16 20:05:34

You get paid.

toffeeboffin Wed 03-Feb-16 20:06:53

You get paid for having three months off.

EnormousDormouse Wed 03-Feb-16 20:09:52

Your qualification enables you to work all over the world. Where there is no OFSTED grin

I write this after spending a very pleasant evening under some palm trees chatting with friends whilst listening to the waves...

teacher54321 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:12:11

Laughing my head off everyday.
A little year 1 darling boy who every week at the end of the lesson says 'thank you Mrs teacher, you're beautiful!'
The holidays.

PennyPebbles Wed 03-Feb-16 20:12:38

An excited, almost bouncing, 15 year-old came to give me the permission slip for a trip. He was made up because we are going on his birthday and he's never been to a museum before.

I also had an hilariously circular argument with a boy in one lesson who kept saying that he wouldn't do his work because he hated History. I kept pointing out that he was actually in Geography, but he couldn't seem to grasp that point.

boatrace30 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:14:51

Actually teachers don't get paid for the holidays (apart from the four weeks that everyone gets). Don't get me wrong it's the best part of the job but it is not paid!

MrsWembley Wed 03-Feb-16 20:17:45

After having time off to have my two DCs, I'm trying to break into the world of PRUs. I'm obviously not allowed to know the full background of any pupil I work with, but just getting to know them makes my heart break - that their upbringing has been the main reason they behave badly and they are seen by the rest of the world in such a bad light - and so makes me more determined that this is what I want to do.

Every child matters. Take that to school with you every day, put it in your heart, remember that you make a difference.wine

Penguin2016 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:18:14

I has bottom year 10 bottom set who were completely horrible to me as I was new. 2 A*'s, three a's, a few C's and some scattered D's later... Such a proud moment, considering their ability and work ethic were completely crap

Moonax Wed 03-Feb-16 20:23:54

A bloke in my adult learning class casually opened a magazine today, read something he liked and shared it with the rest.

He could barely read and was extremely threatened to smash the guy next to him and walked out of the class negative about education in general a month ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now