To choose to support refugees OTHER than those at Calais (at least this time)?

(11 Posts)
gooseberryroolz Wed 03-Feb-16 12:58:59

I realise that the whole Calais issue is hotly contested and that everyone gets quite exercised but on the basis that I only have £xxx and yyy amount of time spare I have chosen to do something that supports a refugee related charitable effort in Europe.

A friend has caught wind of this and has become quite upset with me because she feels aggrieved in some way that I am not supporting a Calais based effort some distant friends-of friends have given time and goods to (including her herself).

So 1) I don't need to justify anything to do with my charity choices do I? and 2) If she catches me off guard and grills me, anything broadly reasonable I say about why one seemed a better focus for money than the other should be treated as broadly reasonable and isn't cause for a falling out?

manicinsomniac Wed 03-Feb-16 13:00:53

Of course you don't need to justify what you do with your own money.

Some people give to Calais charities. Fine

Some people give to other refugee charities. Fine

Some people give to non refugee related charities. Fine

Some people don't give to charity at all. Fine

gooseberryroolz Wed 03-Feb-16 13:01:35

I'd like to understand her POV though.

WorraLiberty Wed 03-Feb-16 13:05:57

Stop telling people people when you give to charity.

BillSykesDog Wed 03-Feb-16 13:08:42

Well considering there are hundreds and thousands of refugees in Europe and only 5,000 in Calais she sounds like a bit of a fool TBH.

gooseberryroolz Wed 03-Feb-16 13:09:20

Ha Worra you're slowly morphing into Scottish mate grin

It's a sponsored 'thing'. If we keep it under wraps it won't really work.

But silence is as good as sponsorship (I'm not approaching people individually). I just don't want hassle about the choice of charity.

WorraLiberty Wed 03-Feb-16 13:10:35

Scottish mate? grin

Seriously though, I wouldn't discuss my personal choice with anyone.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Wed 03-Feb-16 13:14:39

Tell her there are vast numbers of refugees needing help, and making Calais a more viable option is a very bad idea - will lead to many more people drowning in the med. Far better to send money to refugee camps near Syria, which refugees, particularly vulnerable ones, have a reasonable chance of reaching safely.

Or tell her to mind her own business.

gooseberryroolz Wed 03-Feb-16 13:18:32

That was pretty much my thinking Surely.

The problem is it is a good friend.

I wish people would keep their outspokeness to social meedja sad

Mistigri Wed 03-Feb-16 13:21:40

It's your money, and you can choose to put it to work where you want.

If everyone gave only to calais, where would that leave the vast majority of refugees who end up elsewhere?

LarrytheCucumber Wed 03-Feb-16 13:29:02

There does seem to be a lot of support for refugees in Calais, but it does not mean that you have to join in.
Giving to charity (or not) is a personal choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now