Aibu to think Brooklyn Beckham getting a pro photography job is nepotism at its best?

(52 Posts)
coffeeisnectar Mon 01-Feb-16 21:59:18

So young Brooklyn, just 16 years old has landed the plum job of shooting the new Burberry ad causing much angst among professional photographers.

Some may argue he takes good selfies on instagram and has a huge following. But is that because of his photos or are his followers teenage girls hoping to bag themselves a Beckham boyfriend?

Is Brooklyn destinies to be another playboy drifting from one thing to another, living off his parents name and money?

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 01-Feb-16 22:04:53

Complete nepotism.

But a lot of publicity for the brand...

Zampa Mon 01-Feb-16 22:05:44

The name breeds success. He might be decent but in a way, it doesn't matter, as with the Beckham name attached to the project, the products are given media attention.

I guess it's the same thing as Stella McCartney getting the Chloe job soon after graduating (although at least she had a fashion degree).

I do feel for the "real" photographers and their assistants, slaving away at the coal face without a hope of such a lucrative contract but they may not be any more talented.

UndramaticPause Mon 01-Feb-16 22:06:36

It's nepotism, yes, but everyone has to start somewhere

originalmavis Mon 01-Feb-16 22:12:13

Oh please let them print the shots sans Photoshop or colour correction.

I know photographers who have grafted for bloody years to build portfolios, travelling all over for the perfect shot, self published, worked for nothing... I bet they are kicking themselves for just not having the good sense to have famous parents! How dumb must they feel right now!

Cerseirys Mon 01-Feb-16 22:12:29

Wait, he's a photographer now? What happened to his modelling career? Not that he would've got that either if it weren't for nepotism. I'm sure he's a nice enough lad but looks-wise he is nothing out of the ordinary.

originalmavis Mon 01-Feb-16 22:14:55

He'll be an astronaut next week, or a surgeon, or God...

AgentCooper Mon 01-Feb-16 22:14:58

Completely agree. I'm sure he's a decent wee guy but it's so hard for photographers to get a start in the industry these days, especially when everyone thinks they can do it themselves with instagram.

PirateSmile Mon 01-Feb-16 22:15:03

I'd imagine that a team of professionals set up the lighting and set and he then took the pictures. If he is a passionate photographer then the best of luck to him but he's definitely had a leg up and will only succeed if, like Stella McCartney, he proves to be genuinely talented.

HitsAndMrs Mon 01-Feb-16 22:15:36

Definitely. Same with celebrities writing columns in magazines when regular people need a journalism degree, experience and talent to get anywhere close to that.

CallaLilli Mon 01-Feb-16 22:16:14

Have you seen some of the clothes Stella designs? I'm not sure I'd call her talented!

originalmavis Mon 01-Feb-16 22:16:31

At 16 though? I've not heard that it's his passion or even a hobby. At that age my brother had been snapping for ten years and was printing his own shots in the attic.

Cerseirys Mon 01-Feb-16 22:17:39

Definitely. Same with celebrities writing columns in magazines

YY to this! How on earth is Alanis Morissette the Guardian's new agony aunt??

SaucyJack Mon 01-Feb-16 22:19:05

Just consider how many people will now Google the ad after hearing that BB photographed it- compared to it being shot by somebody they'd never heard of.

These people are not daft. All publicity is good publicity.

Lweji Mon 01-Feb-16 22:19:13

Strictly, it's not nepotism. Unless he's a relative of the Burberry people who hired him. Or his mum appears the ad.

They want to cash in on his celebrity status. It's not much different from hiring a well known face to appear in the ads.
It only works while the wider public falls over for celebrities.

MaisyMooMoo Mon 01-Feb-16 22:20:03

I don't think this will do the Beckham brand any favours. Pissing off the Papps is not the best move.

SaucyJack Mon 01-Feb-16 22:20:07

(!!)

Alanis would be an awesome agony aunt. I take it you were not a teeen in the 90s Cerseirys?

coffeeisnectar Mon 01-Feb-16 22:20:27

Romeo has the looks for modelling, he's a beautiful boy.

Brooklyn has tried football, modelling and now photography. He only left school six months ago. Not sure why his parents haven't pushed him to do further education rather than letting him turn into a mini celebrity.

I'm dreading the younger ones reaching this age, it will be like the Kardashian clan all over again. Sick of hearing about them as well. What exactly do they do? Actually, scrap that. I don't want to know.

jay55 Mon 01-Feb-16 22:22:15

I think it's nice he's working, however easily he's come to the job. Given it is the current reality that views on YouTube, followers on Twitter and likes on Instagram are a way people get book, tv and music deals these days.

MrsJayy Mon 01-Feb-16 22:23:25

Modern apprentiship obviously grin the fashion industry is shallow and all about trends BB is on trend. Will be somebody else vicky b calls herself a fashion designer and has a couple of shops id love to see her design degree oh wait ...

MrsJayy Mon 01-Feb-16 22:24:22

Will be somebody else soon*

originalmavis Mon 01-Feb-16 22:25:12

It won't really be work though. Real shoots are long, boring, usually cold and oh, did I say boring? It will all be set up for him and he will press a button and bugger off.

MrsJayy Mon 01-Feb-16 22:26:43

Aye he will saunter in squint press a button and leave

Noeuf Mon 01-Feb-16 22:31:03

Oh it happens all the time. There's just an upper circle (not class related) of famous people breeding other famous people. Columnists like Alan Coren made it alone and then their kids get the gig. Acting dynasties. Singers.
Other people could do it just as well or better but as long as the name and the 'good enough' is there it won't change.

Cerseirys Mon 01-Feb-16 22:34:50

I was SaucyJack! Come to think of it, what qualifications did Mariella have before she became an aging aunt?

Back to the Beckhams, wasn't Romeo modelling for Burberry at one point?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now