Am I being fleeced London Plumber rates

(13 Posts)
MrsMarigold Mon 01-Feb-16 16:44:03

Ok if you can get someone to come it's a bloody miracle, then AIBU to think £80 call out rate is excessive. Then £60 on top of that for a few valves and a washer and labour. I feel this is taking the piss. He was here less than an hour. I've told him to invoice but DH will flip.

I had a really bad experience with someone from rated people with a guy who was very belligerent and tried to assault me. So I used a local recommendation this time but now I feel I've been overcharged, I do feel if you are female and sound posh they charge you more, what do you think?

MrsMarigold Mon 01-Feb-16 16:52:56

Paging PigletJohn.

SwearyGodmother Mon 01-Feb-16 16:54:52

Sounds cheaper than Pimlico Plumbers (the service you only ever use once...)

Honestly I don't know if you're being fleeced but if it fixes things does it really, really matter?

NotAWhaleOmeletteInSight Mon 01-Feb-16 16:56:34

Didn't you discuss call out costs before calling out?

AveEldon Mon 01-Feb-16 16:56:35

sounds cheap to me!

MrsTomFord Mon 01-Feb-16 16:58:24

Sweary, what issues have you had with Pimlico Plumbers? I always use them and have found them great. They are always very polite, efficient and are very quick to come out. I also find Charlie Mullins pretty amusing, but maybe that's just me..

Wendied Mon 01-Feb-16 17:02:23

Sounds cheap to me. I've called plumbers to come to us in central London and paid much more than that.

UnderCrackers5 Mon 01-Feb-16 17:03:16

I had the plumber out last week. £60 for the first hour, £30 for each hour after that
plus parts

SwearyGodmother Mon 01-Feb-16 17:05:40

Lucky you MrsTom - I used them once, the guy was unspeakably rude and spent over 30 minutes filling my sink and then emptying it (he came to fit a tap) having turned up without the bits needed to do the job that were all specified when I booked - and then charged me the hourly rate to go back to the depot and pick them up. Then he told me our electric boiler needed replacing so I said I'd speak to DH about it. We had the boiler checked by someone else because I thought he was trying it on and we were told it was fine - and 8 years later it's still going strong with no problems. I particularly enjoyed the chap telling me he was "doing you (me) a favour" when he turned up 4 hours early for a booked job that I was paying £££ for and I suggested it would have been easier for him to come at the time booked!

Recently I bumped into a neighbour who was spitting with fury because something very similar had just happened to him.

I appreciate it's anecdotal but I was so unimpressed by the chap who came to us I vowed never to use them. And that opinion was then supported by my neighbour's experience.

MrsMarigold Mon 01-Feb-16 17:08:06

Pimlico Plumbers are a rip off, but at least they don't assault you, but they do charge for a quote not even lawyers do that! I phoned the local plumbers merchant who told me this plumber is taking the piss and I should pull him up over it. In my desperation, water flooding through the ceiling I forgot to ask for initial price. Duh!

MrsTomFord Mon 01-Feb-16 17:11:04

I'm sorry to hear that, Sweary. We've always had good service but this is more recently, maybe things have changed since your bad experience.

I have worried about using smaller firms, as one were very threatening with our housekeeper a while ago. We've used PP since as we felt we could trust them.

MrsMarigold Mon 01-Feb-16 17:20:48

I think there are some excellent smaller firms, although they are often super busy all the time, however there are a lot of cowboys and sadly in an emergency one often gets lumped with the idiots.

Sallyingforth Mon 01-Feb-16 17:33:20

I have a great local plumber, does a quick clean job and doesn't charge a fortune. But because of that he's very busy and can't always come soon enough. I've had to stop recommending him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now