To consider a term time holiday for a 4yo?

(46 Posts)
longestlurkerever Mon 01-Feb-16 12:01:17

I've been offered free accommodation somewhere exciting and educational the week before the Easter holiday. I can't afford to go during the holidays as the free accommodation is not available and the peak time flights are out of my reach, though we could go somewhere more affordable and less exciting - probably in the UK. Dd is 4 so not legally obliged to be in school yet. What are the implications of taking them out of school at this age?

longestlurkerever Mon 01-Feb-16 12:03:22

Actually, thinking about it, she'd miss less than a week as school breaks up at midday on the Thurs.

kimlo Mon 01-Feb-16 12:07:49

For a reception child and less than a week I wouldnt think twice, I would go.

CocktailQueen Mon 01-Feb-16 12:08:29

Don't think twice! Just go!

Mistigri Mon 01-Feb-16 12:09:52

She's 4. FOUR!!! Not fourteen.

It's a daft question, just go ahead and book your flights and enjoy the trip.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 01-Feb-16 12:11:57

No - I'm taking mine away in June and they are 7,11 and 13
I can't afford school holiday prices and my job makes time off in summer difficult
I won't do it again after this year as my eldest will be in year 9 and I can't disrupt her GCSEs (prep starts in yr 9)
So do it - while you can!

longestlurkerever Mon 01-Feb-16 12:15:55

Ooh, thanks. I might well have decided sod it even if mn disapproved, but it's nice to know ianbu!

Wolfiefan Mon 01-Feb-16 12:17:50

It won't affect the settling in period and as you say it's actually less than a week. 4? I'd do it.
And I'm the one on here always saying holidays shouldn't be taken in term time!

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 01-Feb-16 12:19:55

I would (and did!) do it... I took my DD out for 2 weeks and am going to do it again this year.

ridemesideways Mon 01-Feb-16 12:21:08

I wonder if before the age of statutory education the LA could do anything about it anyway...

Janeymoo50 Mon 01-Feb-16 12:21:38

I'd go (and wouldn't care if it was educational or not at 4 years old). Have fun.

KitKatCustard Mon 01-Feb-16 12:21:51

Sure.
You won't mind if the teacher also goes on holiday in term time too then?

ridemesideways Mon 01-Feb-16 12:24:19

I wouldn't mind if dd's teacher wanted a term time holiday KitKat, no.

kimlo Mon 01-Feb-16 12:24:42

The teacher chose a job where they knew that they wouldnt be able to have any free choice annual leave. The ops dd is 4. I dont really see how you can compare the two to be honest.

WorraLiberty Mon 01-Feb-16 12:27:09

Kitkat grin That's hardly comparing like for like is it?

Unless of course the OP's 4yr old teaches the class...

KittyandTeal Mon 01-Feb-16 12:31:15

Term time hols for teachers is a bit different to a 4yo (and I say that as a teacher)

Do it, the only reason my kids will never have term time holidays is because I can't take time off. It does mean we probably won't be able to afford holidays abroad.

Go for it, at 4 she'll get loads out of it, especially if she's missing the last few days of school

AndNowItsSeven Mon 01-Feb-16 12:32:01

A child of non compulsory school age cannot have a unauthorised absence.

MrsJayy Mon 01-Feb-16 12:32:17

I did it when mine were at school end of term is always cheaper you won't get an authorised absence but its a few days go enjoy

MrsJayy Mon 01-Feb-16 12:34:55

Of course they can we don't have reception class here dd2was 4 in Primary 1 she had a day off for a christening and got an unauthorized absence

ridemesideways Mon 01-Feb-16 12:57:48

Side note... If a 7 year old child, say, was to be taken on a two week holiday during term time, what is to stop the parent 'de-registering' them and officially 'providing an education otherwise', which is legal, for that period, to avoid the fine?

Other than it being a ballache for the LA's paperwork and you might piss off the head / might lose school place?

Babynamechange Mon 01-Feb-16 13:00:19

Defintely do it. It will go down as unauthorised absence because you've technically enrolled with the school which makes the 'not of legal school age' no longer applicable (I know this as I've been in the same position) , but that doesn't really matter and your DD will get loads out of it xx

PurpleCrazyHorse Mon 01-Feb-16 13:24:32

We did it to DisneyLand Paris. Mum was paying for our whole family (so us plus bro & SIL) so had to go at a time convenient for everyone else, was 3 days before half term, so called DD in with D&V (48hrs clear was the rule at her school) and went.

We didn't tell DD (so she wouldn't say anything) and of course she didn't go back to school until after half term. A 4yo is pretty ropey on getting the days of the week right for her little holiday grin so we just pretended it was during the holidays.

She was in reception and it was a one off, not to be repeated, holiday but we wouldn't have got it authorised. As DD had had virtually no sickness, we decided to do it.

AppleSetsSail Mon 01-Feb-16 13:28:07

I strongly disagree with 4 year olds being in school in the first place. GO.

TeaT1me Mon 01-Feb-16 13:28:12

I wouldn't lie about sickness. Schools used to be happy to authorise up to 2 weeks until gove changed the rules. If your kid is in school it will be "unauthorised" but just write a letter in that says something along the lines of "just to.let you know we will be taking child out on these dates...."

DisappointedOne Mon 01-Feb-16 13:32:14

Didn't think twice about it at 4, doing it again shortly now she's 5. School has no problem with it. Family time is important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now