To think that the past tense of the verb to text is texted, not text!

(173 Posts)
Marmitelover55 Sun 31-Jan-16 11:05:18

Assuming it is actually a verb and not a noun...

Hulababy Sun 31-Jan-16 11:14:27

Oxford dictionaries says it is texted when used as a verb

Andfaraway Sun 31-Jan-16 11:14:41

YANBU, and you're right, but you'll be told you're a pedant, a snob, and wrong.

Marmitelover55 Sun 31-Jan-16 11:17:06

Thank you! smile.

MissBattleaxe Sun 31-Jan-16 13:09:00

YES! YANBU. It drives me mad. People sound stupid when they say "I text him yesterday". It's like toddler talk. "I go there yesterday" "I see it yesterday"

I can't believe how many people think text is a past participle!

VashtaNerada Sun 31-Jan-16 13:12:30

YANBU! I often hear it along with 'aksed' (instead of 'asked') but that might be a London thing.

Fallstar Sun 31-Jan-16 13:17:44

I'm with you, Marmite, but I'm sure many will disagree unfortunately!

EatShitDerek Sun 31-Jan-16 13:19:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZiggyFartdust Sun 31-Jan-16 13:21:04

Of course it is texted, it couldn't possibly be text.
I don't care how many people say it, they are all wrong. It sounds like when people say things like "I done x"...did, not done. Texted not text.

Bloody obvious.

Veritat Sun 31-Jan-16 13:21:05

Of course it's texted. Derek, do you think "tested" and "rested" sound silly? It's exactly the same formation.

justaguy Sun 31-Jan-16 13:21:22

It's annoying but also an interesting study in how language develops. My theory is that people tend to miss the final 't' of 'text', as in 'I will tex her'. The logical past participle is then 'texed', which happens to sound just like 'text'.

Narp Sun 31-Jan-16 13:22:37

texted sounds better, IMO

Text could be correct - a precedent is the verb 'cut' and other verbs which don't have -ed in the past tense

ellebelle27 Sun 31-Jan-16 13:24:03

Isn't the use of text as a verb quite recent? As we have no language committee to decide on an official past simple form then i think only time will tell whether common use is for it to have a regular -ed ending or for it to be commonly used in an irregular form.

EatShitDerek Sun 31-Jan-16 13:24:03

Narp Sun 31-Jan-16 13:24:13

People on Jeremy Kyle have a tendency to say 'I sent her a textis' (not the noun 'text')

I think this demonstrates that language does develop in strange ways

gamerchick Sun 31-Jan-16 13:24:54

I'll never used texted. It looks and sounds ridiculous. Other people can do as they please.

Throwingshade Sun 31-Jan-16 13:25:48

It drives me mad OP.

Veritat Sun 31-Jan-16 13:26:46

Yes, it is a new verb, and the fundamental rule is that a new verb takes the standard past tense, i.e. "ed".

When someone writes "I text her" it reads as if they are speaking in the present tense and, if that isn't what they mean, it makes it unnecessarily difficult to work out what the hell they're saying. If you can't express yourself so that people understand you first time round, you're doing it wrong.

Veritat Sun 31-Jan-16 13:28:46

My theory is that people tend to miss the final 't' of 'text', as in 'I will tex her'. The logical past participle is then 'texed', which happens to sound just like 'text'.

That would only work if people actually write "tex" and "texed".

Interestingly, autocorrect just changed that last word to "texted". Which sort of suggests that that's where majority opinion lies.

ZiggyFartdust Sun 31-Jan-16 13:29:33

How does it look and sound ridiculous? Does rested look and sound ridiculous? Or liked or talked or walked or worked?
Regular verbs take that format in English and there is no reason text should be irregular.
English has rules, you can't just ignore them.

Whenwillwe3meetagain Sun 31-Jan-16 13:29:53

Can't stand it either but aren't we all whatsapping now anyway?

EatShitDerek Sun 31-Jan-16 13:30:30

gamerchick Sun 31-Jan-16 13:32:00

I can do as I please! I don't like the word it looks ridiculous.

ZiggyFartdust Sun 31-Jan-16 13:36:33

It doesn't matter what you think if the word, or any word, they exist and are correct independent of your opinion.
You can carry on using the wrong word if you like, you won't be alone.

EatShitDerek Sun 31-Jan-16 13:37:37

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now