I accidentally used some racist and homophobic words in a satirical way

(80 Posts)
livingintheNL Fri 29-Jan-16 07:40:19

This was after a few drinks last night, woke up today feeling awful. I apologized profusely last night and everyone seemed to find it funny but I still feel quite bad, I know it was unacceptable.

Its only because I've been off work and played GTA5 many many hours this week and a few of the words were in my mind. I get that the game is a bit of a joke and satire, I was kind of using them in the same way but I know someone from the outside might see it differently.

Should I appoligise more or just leave it?

gamerchick Fri 29-Jan-16 07:43:20

Just leave it, you've apologised. You'll have the hangover cringies today but that's par the course.

DonkeyOaty Fri 29-Jan-16 08:16:57

And do think about curbing your alcohol intake if it's interfering with your impulse control and inhibition.

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 08:21:21

I agree with Donkey. You have no idea how the people that 'seemed' to find it funny really felt about it.

ProfGrammaticus Fri 29-Jan-16 08:23:42

Are you Jeremy Clarkson?

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 29-Jan-16 08:26:27

Oh please. This is just a not so subtle way to bash GTA games, isn't it? If you're not mature to play it without becoming 'offensive', don't play it at all. biscuit.

RNBrie Fri 29-Jan-16 08:27:15

No one "accidentally" uses racist and homophobic language. You thought you were being funny, it wasn't "accidental".

It's unacceptable behaviour and excusing yourself because you'd had too much to drink is immature. Stop drinking if you can't control yourself.

I doubt there's much point in apologising any further.

FitzChivarly Fri 29-Jan-16 08:27:46

Agree with MrsGently

MuttonDressedAsMutton Fri 29-Jan-16 08:28:10

What MrsGently said.

And grow the fuck up OP.

Katenka Fri 29-Jan-16 08:28:41

If you use racist and homophobic language when you are drunk. Stop drinking.

Don't blame GTA. Blame yourself and grow up.

You should be ashamed and apologise, imp.

Katenka Fri 29-Jan-16 08:28:56

imo

RosalieDene Fri 29-Jan-16 08:29:06

I find the language in GTA pretty distasteful (and I love the game). For some reason I find the killing people part of it less objectionable than the language - but tbf the dialogue was written/proofed by authentic gangsters so I'm not really their target audience. If I heard someone using the n word in the way they do in GTA my opinion of them would go down.

Katenka Fri 29-Jan-16 08:29:19

imo

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Jan-16 08:30:41

I am intrigued as to how words get into your mind only to be said when drunk. Not sure you can blame a game for everything. confused

TheDowagerCuntess Fri 29-Jan-16 08:31:09

A subtle way to bash GTA? Really? hmm Why would someone need a 'subtle way to bash it' - why wouldn't they just go ahead and bash it?

I agree with Brie - either you think these things or you don't.

Dollymixtureyumyum Fri 29-Jan-16 08:37:34

Being drunk is not an excuse and if your friends thought it was funny then they are just as bad.

wigglesrock Fri 29-Jan-16 08:40:32

Nope you didn't use those words by accident - drunk or not. I have friends /relatives that use terms I don't like to describe themselves - they're trying to reclaim the word. I find the words pejorative, ugly, and bring back horrible memories to me. My point is that I spent a lot of time with these relatives over Christmas, I then went out with other friends - did I feel the need to use those words as a joke/satire/to show how edgy I am? Nope - I still find them insulting no matter how clever I think the beer makes me.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 29-Jan-16 08:41:29

TheDowagerCuntess, who knows. Mumsnet is an odd place, where some people like to shit stir or use 'reverse' threads instead of actually what they mean. This cannot be the first time you've come across it on here? 'I unreasonably don't like something , but instead of saying so, I'll invent a scenario that makes it look bad'.

bakeoffcake Fri 29-Jan-16 08:54:26

I don't have a clue what GTA is but....

How is a game allowed to use "rasist and homophobic language" hmm

Trills Fri 29-Jan-16 09:00:35

Being able to tailor the words you use and how you speak to different audiences/situations is an important skill.

Unless you live in a very homogeneous environment, most adults will need this skill.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 29-Jan-16 09:02:31

Grand Theft Auto.

"What's said when drunk has been thought of beforehand" or, as the oldies used to say "in vino veritas".

You might want to examine your attitudes rather than your gaming OP. Racist and homophobic is pushing the boat out even for GFs.

Spudlet Fri 29-Jan-16 09:04:37

Hmm, I play Assassins Creed a lot, but so far I have avoided leaping from rooftops and stabbing people while drunk or sober even though there a few people I'd really like to.

Drink doesn't make you act out of character IME. It just amplifies what is there already.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 29-Jan-16 09:08:03

lol Spud, I was just going to say I like a good murder show, but I've yet to grab the carving knife and run amok in Midsummer.

MrsJayy Fri 29-Jan-16 09:09:08

My Dh plays call of duty he manages not to shoot anybody or call everyother person a motherfucker maybe you should curtail your gaming AND drinking if you cant hold an adult conversation.

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 29-Jan-16 09:12:13

Spudlet, games can have a negative effect though. I was playing The Sims the other day - when I was making a salad for dinner later I accidently set the kitchen on fire. In the meantime, my husband drowned in the pool because there was no ladder and he forgot how to get out. Games can be very bad and totally have a bad effect on the reasonable adult brain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now