to have left DD (5) at a house birthday party when I don't know the mum?

(15 Posts)
BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah Thu 28-Jan-16 17:13:23

Was expecting to stay but mum said go because none of the other parents were staying, so obviously all the other parents were fine with it.

I was a bit gaaahhhhh. A small party at birthday girls house. Not spoken to the mum before but seen at the school gates. DD was a bit shy as never stayed at a school friends house without me before but she said was OK for me to go.

Feeling a bit odd now and on tenterhooks until 6.30. Sure it's OK. Mum very nice. Has number.

They are Yr1.

ScarlettDarling Thu 28-Jan-16 17:15:08

No, yanbu. Most y1s go for tea to friend's houses without their parents tagging on. She'll be fine!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 28-Jan-16 17:16:52

Y were not being unreasonable. Your DD will be having a great time. Plus you're contactable if the mum needs you. It'll be 6.30 before you know it anyway.

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah Thu 28-Jan-16 17:20:18

I suffer from anxiety anyway, centered around my DC, so it is probably harder for me than 'normal' people grin. Was starting to feel as I had been slightly neglectful so thanks!

arethereanyleftatall Thu 28-Jan-16 17:22:26

Round our way, reception is the cross over age from accompanied to unaccompanied. Don't worry.

ShesGotLionsInHerHeart Thu 28-Jan-16 17:22:40

God, I positively sprint away from parties! grin

BlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlahBlah Thu 28-Jan-16 17:26:32

I think I expected it because all parents have stayed at the hall/leisure centre parties. This is the first house party.

figureofspeech Thu 28-Jan-16 17:41:56

I would prefer it if parents would stay to accompany their kids. Mainly because I don't want the responsibility of looking after their kids.

redskybynight Thu 28-Jan-16 18:06:20

When you say "don't know" do you mean literally never set eyes on before or just not someone you're pally with?

I don't think any parents stayed at my DC's parties beyond Reception (and then only some did). Certainly didn't have children round to play with parents in tow. Generally if you're having a house party you don't have space for and don't want to have to entertain parents.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Thu 28-Jan-16 18:09:12

You leave her at school all day? She's fine?

Ameliablue Thu 28-Jan-16 18:09:28

In my experience parents don't tend to stay at house parties, although I have had a couple of parents stay if the child was worried.

Hihohoho1 Thu 28-Jan-16 18:10:21

No would have hated parents staying, wanting tea made and generally interfering on my kids party.

If your kid is 5 surely they know the other kids, go to school etc.

Unless you were asked to help then go. The host probably had all the help she needed.

Hihohoho1 Thu 28-Jan-16 18:12:16

Op I apologise I hadn't seen your post that you suffer with anxiety.

Are you getting help? flowers

reminds me of when Ds2 was very young (about 4) and got invited to a nursery friends birthday party at the house, DH went to drop him off and came back a bit confused apparently mum was in the kitchen buttering bread for sandwiches, the house was a tip, no one else had arrived yet, half the family were there saying hello, come in, nothing was ready or even looked like a party was going to happen, I was like WTF why did you just leave him??? shock DH was 'dunno, seemed like the right thing to do' hmm I was really nervous until he went to collect him and all was well, DS had a great time with his friends and it taught me a lesson in not being so judgy but phew.

MooseAndSquirrel Thu 28-Jan-16 18:19:07

I suffer with anxiety too, and the first few times I found it really hard imagined all sorts and would of loved to of just not let DD stay
Now I love a dump and dash and happily skip away grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now