to really dislike receiving cards

(10 Posts)
cornishglos Thu 28-Jan-16 14:50:07

I quite like sending greetings cards. I just hate receiving them. I can't stand the clutter around the house on birthdays, the waste of money and paper. The worst ones are Thank you cards. Just say it! Anyone else?

BarbaraofSeville Thu 28-Jan-16 14:58:59

YABU if you like sending them but not receiving them. By your logic you are imposing clutter on friends and family, wasting money and paper on the cards you buy.

I don't particularly like receiving them, but I send hardly any too and when I do, I only get the very cheap ones from Card Warehouse, so there isn't much of a money wasting issue.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 28-Jan-16 15:01:39

Me too, but I don't like sending them either.
I occasionally get a lovely card from an artist friend, hand drawn or painted be either her or one of her arty friends. I've framed some of those as they're so lovely.

Thenightswatch Thu 28-Jan-16 15:05:55

I would say yanbu if you didn't like sending them, but since you like sending them I think yabu bout receiving them.

cornishglos Thu 28-Jan-16 15:06:04

Receiving a piece of artwork is nice. But the cheap ones sent just because you should bother me more. I like sending them for special occasions, such as a new baby, and writing something meaningful inside. But on the whole I would rather just stay in touch with loved ones via email/ phone/ letter/ face-to-face. Cards with a name scribbled on the bottom are just clutter.

lill72 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:40:16

I can't stand a Christmas card that says nothing but To.... and From ...... At least say something interesting!!!

CrystalMcPistol Thu 28-Jan-16 16:41:49

Er, you hate the 'waste of money and paper' when cards are sent to you but enjoy wasting paper and money sending them to other people.

Yep, logical.

EthelMercaptan Thu 28-Jan-16 16:47:00

I don't like giving them or receiving them. I genuinely don't get what they are for. If you're giving a gift they seem superfluous and, if not, and they're to show that you were thinking of someone - well I'd rather have a letter or a phone call really. Honestly I don't believe I know anyone who does like them. Only old people send them to me.

CrystalMcPistol Thu 28-Jan-16 16:50:23

The proliferation of greetings card shops kind of indicate that lots of people like giving and receiving cards.

Agent160 Thu 28-Jan-16 17:35:22

YABU. I can see your point, and fair enough if you don't want to send cards, but it seems a bit mean spirited to 'hate' them. They are a gesture from people who care about you to show they care.

I love getting cards. I send about 50 birthday cards a year and about 70 Christmas cards. Plus wedding/engagement/bereavement/new baby/new home/new job/big anniversary etc as appropriate. And as a family we get pretty much the same in return. I'm only 30, so hardly ancient, and all bar one of my friends send cards (and not just to me!)

I cannot ever imagine my friends writing a letter! And I hate getting loads phone calls on my birthday - I'm usually busy celebrating and I end up having to make endless small talk with everyone.

Cards show way more thought than a text or call. They require someone to have remembered, bought the card, written and posted it in advance. Rather than seeing some posts on Facebook and thinking 'shit its Agent's birthday' better drop her a
quick text. Plus cards make the place look festive.

If someone didn't want to send me a card, I wouldn't be upset or anything - it's a nice bonus. And any thought, be it text/call/letter is very kind but I think it's a bit mean-spirited to hate people thinking of you and sending you a kind gesture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now