How long would you expect a fridge freezer to last?

(15 Posts)
gilmoregirl Thu 28-Jan-16 10:53:13

If you purchased a mid priced fridge freezer from well known high street retailer how long would you expect it to last?

If it required to be repaired 4-6 times and the repairs cost several hundred pounds would you go back to the retailer?

I just want to if I have reasonable expectations! Am feeling very frustrated......

2madboys Thu 28-Jan-16 10:55:03

I think our first one lasted over 10 years. No repairs. It just packed up once when we were away camping one weekend. If it's mid-priced, I wouldn't have bothered repairing it.

Mookbark Thu 28-Jan-16 10:55:08

Ours died just after Christmas. We had had it 5 years and 8 months. no problems until then, so I think that is reasonable.

dementedpixie Thu 28-Jan-16 10:55:20

6-10 years. Have never had anyone out to any of ours

WhyIRayLiotta Thu 28-Jan-16 10:58:36

My last one lasted 7 years. It just stopped working and we never bothered getting anyone out to look at it. (We bought it in Curry's and it cost around £650 iirc).

JasperDamerel Thu 28-Jan-16 10:58:46

Ours is a cheap-ass Beko one that is 15 and a half years old. There was a safety issue recall thing once and the company sent someone to add an extra part free of charge. That's the only problem we've ever had with it.

canyou Thu 28-Jan-16 11:00:23

Mine lasted 3 yrs and 1 day so was 24 hrs out if warrenty angry
It depebds on the repair, the gas thigy went in mine so it could not be repaired. 7-10 years is normal I think

AveEldon Thu 28-Jan-16 11:03:22

I would expect 10 years or more

Sanchar Thu 28-Jan-16 11:05:32

Mine is now 9 yrs and has been repaired once.

It has been moved home about 5 times and that has messed it up. It makes weird noises so I'm not sure how much longer it'll last.

Whathaveilost Thu 28-Jan-16 11:05:45

Ours is over 15 years and no issues.
Our previous one is still going strong and that is nearly 20 years. I gave it to my sister when we refurbished.

KP86 Thu 28-Jan-16 11:05:51

At least 7-10 years if it was a mid-range brand.

Does the UK have something along the lines of implied warranty? Ie. where an item has an expected life span based on reasonable use and price paid, no matter what the 'official' warranty is? For the person whose item died 24hr outside of warranty I would have been going from that angle.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 28-Jan-16 11:08:51

Ours is an 18 YO Hotpoint that's never needed repairs. I wouldn't pay for repairs on anything less than 3-4 years old but would be waving the Sale Goods Act at the retailer and telling them to sort it. Look on moneysavingexpert for advice about your rights.

How old is your fridge? with white goods I would be quite disappointed with anything less than 5-6 years service and in my experience things have lasted 10-15 years or more and have never been treat particularly well.

Eg I can count on the fingers of one hand how often the 18 YO fridge has had its vents vacuumed.

Anotherusernamechange Thu 28-Jan-16 11:10:55

My 12 year old Beko one worked fine til last month when it decided to set itself on fire. We rang Beko, who were disinterested in coming out to see it/offer any type of recompense, other than saying they could send an engineer to 'fix it' - would be hard to get the smoked flavour out of the flood I would think..

gilmoregirl Thu 28-Jan-16 11:12:26

Thanks everyone.

Mine is now 8 years old but has been repaired several times, at least once in warranty and three times since and has just gone again.

It has been moved once in that time.

I bought what I thought was an expensive good quality item that would last 10 yeas plus. What I got was an unreliable item that seems to pack in on a regular basis.

So inconvenient and expensive.

gilmoregirl Thu 28-Jan-16 11:17:08

Will have a look at money saving expert. And be grateful that at least it has not set on fire.......

The repair service say they will charge me again despite having only just repaired it less than two weeks ago at the cost of over £100 unless it is exactly the same fault again. As their repair lasted two weeks they clearly fixed it!?

Would like one of those consumer champions from the paper to take my case on. Am practicing my sad face right now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now