To not want to go to a wedding when the invite has one of those stupid money beging poems in it

(361 Posts)
bloated1977 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:38:30

Apparently they think shopping is a pain so we can gratefully give them cash or cheques. AIBU to actually buy them a present?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Wed 27-Jan-16 18:41:36

YABU to start a thread about a poem, without reciting the actual poem.

Go on, we need to see it in all it's naff glory before we can tell if you are BU or not grin.

Charlesroi Wed 27-Jan-16 18:41:54

I'm not giving my opinion until you've given us the poem grin

MissBattleaxe Wed 27-Jan-16 18:41:55

I think it's a bit tacky to ask for cash but since so many couples already have a home together, I think cash requests are here to stay and not uncommon anymore. Suck it up and go or buy the usual silver picture frame/ bottle of champagne.

scribblegirl Wed 27-Jan-16 18:42:21

Ywnbu to buy a present - it's a gift, they can't dictate the nature of it.

Personally I prefer money as its easier! But the poems are shit grin [official mumsnetter]

ooerrmissus Wed 27-Jan-16 18:43:10

Well obviously YANBU, cheeky beggars, but YABU to not post the poem so we can all gawp in the true horror of it all grin

Floggingmolly Wed 27-Jan-16 18:43:50

If shopping is such a pain you'd be very uncharitable to force them to do it by giving them money... Take the strain out of it for them by buying them a nice toaster grin

TheCatsMeow Wed 27-Jan-16 18:44:36

YABU it's not hard to give the same value of a present in cash and to not do it would be deliberately being awkward

MrsS182 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:44:44

Yanbu I really hate those money poems! I've not seen one yet that doesn't come across as cheeky.

bloated1977 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:45:28

We haven't got a wedding list, the reason we'll explain,
is to save you all the hassle as shopping is a pain.
We've been together for a while and have most things we need.
So cash or cheques would be gratefully received.
The choice is yours, so please don't fuss.
The most important thing of all is that you come and celebrate with us!
But if you'd like to contribute, our heartfelt thanks go out to you...

biscuit

SuperCee7 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:45:56

Do what you want. I doubt they care much.

TheCatsMeow Wed 27-Jan-16 18:46:26

There's nothing wrong with that.

WitchyPoos Wed 27-Jan-16 18:46:52

My mum did this. Asked for money for the honeymoon in the invite. She isn't skint in the slightest, can afford to honeymoon on a round the world trip if she wanted. I was hmm

Prefer to give a thought about present tbh and think money asking is cheeky.

Just give them what you want and pretend you didn't see that bit of the invite or something if they mention it. Be a bit shit on their part if they did though

Elfontheedge Wed 27-Jan-16 18:48:21

I had no idea until I started going on mumsnet that it was considered so rude to ask for money instead of presents. Still don't see why people get so worked up about it tbh.

ooerrmissus Wed 27-Jan-16 18:49:42

oh Gawd, it doesn't even scan properly shock

scribblegirl Wed 27-Jan-16 18:50:22

The metre on that is appalling! shock

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 27-Jan-16 18:50:34

There's nothing wrong with that?

It is a hideous poem. Genuinely awful poetry.

And, the bit about choice doesn't actually say anything polite. It doesn't really say you don't need to contribute. It gives you a choice of paying up, either by cash or cheque:

"So cash or cheques would be gratefully received.
The choice is yours, so please don't fuss."

Sure there's that stuff about just wanting your company afterwards, but it isn't properly linked to the lines before. So it really is just a choice of methods of payment.

StrawberryDelight Wed 27-Jan-16 18:50:49

Cash begging poems are awful. Especially poorly written ones like that. They're just rude, crass and cringy IMO.

TheCatsMeow Wed 27-Jan-16 18:51:16

Well yeah the poem is crap but it's hardly offensive

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:52:26

That's fine. Stop being so mean spirited.

Charlesroi Wed 27-Jan-16 18:52:36

"The choice is yours, so please don't fuss" = get them what you want (I think)

BathtimeFunkster Wed 27-Jan-16 18:53:21

I had no idea until I started going on mumsnet that it was considered so rude to ask for money instead of presents.

It's considered rude to ask for money OR presents.

Most children know they are not allowed to demand presents from people who come to their parties by about age 5.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Wed 27-Jan-16 18:53:59

I am offended by people sending me shit poetry they copied and pasted off the internet.

If you're going to send someone poetry the absolute minimum you can do is to copy and paste one that isn't utterly awful.

VimFuego101 Wed 27-Jan-16 18:54:05

If someone writes a poem in their wedding invite, you must respond (either accept or decline) via a poem too. IT'S THE RULES. it isn't, but I really hope my idea catches on

Diggum Wed 27-Jan-16 18:54:06

Well fair enough I guess wanting money rather than porcelain figurines representing togetherness or some shite. But that poem was woeful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now