To wonder the following regarding driving and road use?

(31 Posts)
BeckerLleytonNever Tue 26-Jan-16 16:53:27

I thought the following were law:

Seatbelts compulsory.- i see loads of people with no seatbelts on.

no smoking with kids in car.- round here nearly ever ydriver i see smoking.

no phones while driving.- every other driver, especially van/lorry drivers.

child/booster seats.- keep seeing kids on peoples laps in front seats.

Tailgating. thought it was an offence?

as is throwing litter out of car?

I know its hard for the police to spot everything and be everywhere at the same time but....

also, Its hard to take down number plates when im driving myself. otherwise i would and report them.

now,also, red lights. drivers and especially cyclists. they are for STOPPING, no? are you colour blind?

Indicators. do people expect the driver behind to mind read?

speed limits. there for a reason, no? stupid twunts up my arse all the time.

and foreign drivers should learn the UK road laws shouldnt they? -mind you loads of English people totally disregarding the law too.Why do so many people forget their theory test as soon as they pass their lisence? and not bother reading the highway code either?

CasperGutman Tue 26-Jan-16 16:57:04

I see most of those every so often, but nothing like as much as you suggest.

As for kids on laps in front seats though - really? I haven't seen that since about 1995!

Leelu6 Tue 26-Jan-16 16:59:04

Indicators. do people expect the driver behind to mind read?

The most annoying for me. Especially inconsiderate idiots who don't indicate at roundabouts. Meaning you're waiting for them in case they're turning right, but they end up turning left.

Now, if a driver does not indicate, I assume they are turning left and move forwards. Cue irritated horning. (Of course, at some roundabouts the driver needn't indicate as they are going straight through it, which is fine).

I now keep my window open in case I need to shout at these idiots.

ComposHatComesBack Tue 26-Jan-16 17:01:19

Becker whilst I share your frustration, I don't think scribbling down numbers is going to do you much good, even if you could manage it, what do you expect the Police to do with an unconfirmed report of bad driving called in by a member of the public?

I would stop worrying about everyone else (hard I know when they are driving like prize twerps) and keep driving in a defensive and observant manner, maintaining a safe distance from cars in front.

amicissimma Tue 26-Jan-16 17:01:33

Why are red lights for 'cyclists especially' to stop at?

If I have to be hit by someone going through a red light I would prefer it to be a cyclist than a HGV, or a car. Not that I excuse anyone running a red light. But then, I was under the impression that red lights were for everyone to stop at.

BeckerLleytonNever Tue 26-Jan-16 17:03:29

agree, going straight at a roundabout is not expected for an indicator butright/left, yes.

Casper round here there are people from other countries with kids on laps.

I know as I lived abroad for a number of years and that was a normal thing where I was. I don't thin k these people even realise the law here.

over there theyd have toddlers standing up on the footrests on mopeds, no helmets, a family of 4 or 5 all hanging onto a moped!

GiddyOnZackHunt Tue 26-Jan-16 17:06:21

You'd need more police then and the police are having trouble resourcing everything already.

ComposHatComesBack Tue 26-Jan-16 17:08:45

Leelu even if you are going straight ahead at a roundabout you should always signal once you've passed the exit before the one you intend to take.

delilahaha Tue 26-Jan-16 17:32:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ComposHatComesBack Tue 26-Jan-16 17:40:28

The highway code says that you should treat mini roundabouts the same as normal ones and you'd be marked down for not signalling on your driving test, so yes you should. It is also a favourite question on the theory test.

But in the real world the gap between the first and second exit on a mini roundabout is so small that you don't have time to get an indicator on before exiting and add to confusion rather than alleviate it. I signal as a default unless there are compelling reasons not to.

AlmaMartyr Tue 26-Jan-16 17:46:57

I always signal at roundabouts, as Compos says. Although I did fail my first driving test and the reason given was signalling at a roundabout when I was going straight ahead. My driving instructor was furious!

Today, I've mostly noticed people not having their lights on. No lights in the driving rain that was dramatically reducing visibility hmm and no lights on in the dark. Grr.

AlmaMartyr Tue 26-Jan-16 17:48:34

I should clarify: driving instructor was furious with the examiner, not me. He was going to complain, not sure if he did.

specialsubject Tue 26-Jan-16 18:02:23

the countries where it is five to a moped have, unsurprisingly, a very high road death rate.

yes, all the things listed are illegal. And most drivers on the road have passed a test of competence. Scary, isn't it?

KakiFruit Tue 26-Jan-16 18:06:11

Where on earth are you driving? I'm very judgemental towards other drivers but I hardly ever see these things, barring cyclists running red lights and drivers not indicating.

Eastpoint Tue 26-Jan-16 18:10:30

Becker Are you in London? Sometimes it seems as if the majority leader of drivers are using their phones.

toomuchtoolate Tue 26-Jan-16 18:12:20

The one I see the most is people using their phones, and as OP said more often than not it's van drivers. And you can tell by the way they are driving that they're on their phone, even before you actually get close enough to see them angry

TheHiphopopotamus Tue 26-Jan-16 18:15:13

As for kids on laps in front seats though - really? I haven't seen that since about 1995!

I see a far few around here but they're usually travellers (I recognise them from my work) and the police won't bother stopping them anyway.

My personal pet hate on roundabouts are people that indicate left all the way round the fucking roundabout.

Imustgodowntotheseaagain Tue 26-Jan-16 18:22:07

Sadly there are very few traffic police these days to pick up on all of these 'minor' offences. Most road policing is about 'denying criminals the use of the road' which means focusing on Bad Lots such as drug dealers or criminal gangs.

StitchesInTime Tue 26-Jan-16 18:23:08

My pet hate on roundabouts is drivers who indicate right when coming up to the roundabout and then go straight ahead. Often dangerously cutting across traffic as they do so. angry

(Note that I'm talking about the sort of roundabout where when you are coming up to it, there is a left, a straight ahead and a right)

LIZS Tue 26-Jan-16 18:26:05

I just had someone in left hand filter lane on a roundabout texting while driving then wanting to go to next exit so cutting me up! Yes , you in the silver 206 coupe !

Jelliebabe1 Tue 26-Jan-16 18:56:41

We went to visit family on the 27th December. I saw not only a woman in the BOOT of a car but she had a toddler in there with her! The child was stood up pressing its hands against the rest window! I was gobsmacked shock

Jelliebabe1 Tue 26-Jan-16 18:58:01

Sorry I meant to say that was on the M25!

Quoteunquote Tue 26-Jan-16 19:16:09

Get a dash cam(one with a gps display/time date), and upload all the footage of the total fuckwitiys shit drivers to you tube, it's so therapeutic.

Label your clip with the location, and hopefully someone they know will mention they are being viewed.

Iliketoparrty Tue 26-Jan-16 20:07:27

People who drive cars which have one light either dimmed or is broken. Surely they realise. You are ment to check that your car is road worthy before you set off.

BeckerLleytonNever Thu 28-Jan-16 16:53:30

I live in the outskirts of London so stuff is rife here!

Also, what part of ''do NOT park in front of driveway. In constant use. EMERGENCY disabled access at all times'' do people not understand? FFS.

people shouldn't drive if they cant read.

and we have a bright custard yellow car (lovely eh??!) so its not like you cant see it with its DISABLED stickers all over the place.

Alma my driving instructor told me if you have a bright colour car -red/orange/yeloow for example you don't really need to use lights on foggy/rainy days as the cars are bright enough to be seen, unless the weathers REALLY bad. I still put my lights on though.

metallic colours are harder to see in dim light.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now