to think that M&S should be able to refund to my card if i have the order number?

(20 Posts)
TreeTreeTree Tue 26-Jan-16 12:25:29

I ordered some clothes from M&S and they werent any good, so i took them back - i didnt have the actual printout that came with the order, but i did have a copy of the email with them on and the customer number and the order number

Why couldnt they join the dots and refund to my card? No - they have to put it on a crappy receipt printed credit note! nearly £fucking60

now i have a bit of paper in my purse, that i will find hard to spend (i dont live near a m&s) )because their stupid system couldnt refund me

iciclewinter Tue 26-Jan-16 12:47:36

YANBU. They should be able to organise that in this day and age.

TreeTreeTree Tue 26-Jan-16 12:54:26

i know, Next manage it - why cant Marks?

ouryve Tue 26-Jan-16 12:57:25

Their IT systems are crap.

I stopped taking advantage of online offers the likes of "£10 off £30" because I'd spend, £50, find that something costing £15 was no good, then take it back and only get £13 back because the discout was applied proportionally, even though I was still over the £30.

Or I'd order 6 items of school uniform on the 3 for 2, and only 5 would be sent, still costing the same as the 6. If I took one of those items back that I'd had to pay full price for, I wouldn't get back the full price, I'd get back 2/3 of the price, as if it had been included in the 3 for 2.

Absolutely pants - and I've told them so, too. At least they were good enough to send me a £5 credit note, the second time I complained.hmm

MatildaTheCat Tue 26-Jan-16 13:00:24

Ive had a similar incident when I didn't have the same card with me that I'd used to pay originally. I stood my ground and said, 'So how can we resolve this?' Several times and lo and behold, it was possible to refund a different card after all.

Always ask to check with their manager in case they know of a way to resolve an issue, chances are they do and want to get rid of you.

228agreenend Tue 26-Jan-16 13:58:44

That's not unique to Marks but a lot,of shops now. I've had similar experiences in other shops as well.

TreeTreeTree Thu 28-Jan-16 09:37:38

so i thought i would buy a gift for someone online using this shitty crappy voucher - turns out i cant even do that!! what a pile of shitty crappy 'service' from those total wankers

i will NEVER shop at M&S again, and will actively boycott them for this crap - its MY money and i want it back

Bluecheese22 Thu 28-Jan-16 10:52:15

Why not just keep your receipt/delivery note? Pretty standard retail policy to get a credit note with a receipt.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt Thu 28-Jan-16 11:27:29

The M&S refund policy is a goodwill gesture - they're not obliged by law to accept returns unless the goods are faulty.

Their website says clearly that to claim a refund you need a valid receipt or parcel summary document.

You claim that their system is shit - what about yours, when you cba to have the right bit of paperwork?

YABU.

KP86 Thu 28-Jan-16 11:34:13

I had a thought - can you log onto your account and see if you can dig up another copy of the order invoice there?

Bearbehind Thu 28-Jan-16 11:36:01

Just because technology has advanced, they don't have to use that to compensate for you losing the required documents.

In order to get a refund onto your card you need to have kept the recept that came with the order- you didn't so a credit note is perfectly fair.

YABU.

Marynary Thu 28-Jan-16 11:56:59

The M&S refund policy is a goodwill gesture - they're not obliged by law to accept returns unless the goods are faulty.

Actually, they are obliged to refund if the the item is bought online (as presumably it was in this case) and the good are returned within 14 days. It doesn't matter whether the goods were faulty.

You don't necessarily need a receipt either. The email with order number etc should count as "proof of purchase"

M&S have always refunded me in the circumstances described by OP although I don't think it is that straight forward due to their crap IT systems. It obviously depends on whether the assistant knows what they are doing.

I would write to the head office and complain.

Sundaysmumisfullofwine Thu 28-Jan-16 12:08:09

M&s were able to find my order details when I took back some faulty boots, they just accessed my online account and took the info from there, and refunded onto my card. So they are able to do so.

228agreenend Thu 28-Jan-16 18:36:39

I think the dispute is not with the order, but with the card. When I worked in a shop, we were only allowed to refund using the same payment method that was used. Therefore, if you couldn't prove how you paid, then a credit note was issued.

Did the email,have the card details?

TreeTreeTree Thu 28-Jan-16 19:40:28

The email had everything,
name
address
list of items
customer number
Account number
Type of card
Last 4 digits of card

Why don't they put the sodding 'barcode' they need on the order confirmation email

TreeTreeTree Thu 28-Jan-16 19:41:26

They couldn't refund to card because it didn't have the barcode on it hmm

Backingvocals Thu 28-Jan-16 19:59:17

I had this too. I had the order confirmation but not the receipt. They wouldn't refund or exchange or issue credit note or anything. I had all the information they needed and proof of purchase, cost price, date etc.

The woman behind the till said it was so they were treating online and in store customers the same. I pointed out that an in store customer without a receipt couldn't prove anything but I could. But they weren't having any of it. I appreciate I didn't have the receipt but it was part of a massive Xmas order and in the Xmas scrum things go astray. I thought my online proof would suffice as it does for everyone else. Ho hum.

Marynary Fri 29-Jan-16 09:05:34

I think the dispute is not with the order, but with the card. When I worked in a shop, we were only allowed to refund using the same payment method that was used. Therefore, if you couldn't prove how you paid, then a credit note was issued.

They can't make that rule. The law states that they have to refund if the customer has bought online (as long as they return within 14 days) and has proof of purchase. They can only make their own rules if it is a good will gesture e.g. if the product was bought in the shop and is not faulty.

Marynary Fri 29-Jan-16 09:11:43

The woman behind the till said it was so they were treating online and in store customers the same. I pointed out that an in store customer without a receipt couldn't prove anything but I could. But they weren't having any of it.

They can't do that. You have more rights if you buy online vs. in the shop. It is a shame that so many shop assistants are unaware of consumer rights regulations. It is a shame that M&S don't properly train the staff who work on the returns counter.

tinofbiscuits Fri 29-Jan-16 14:57:06

How annoying about the barcode.

I'd contact M&S via their website to suggest an improvement to this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now