To think that "Trending" should go back to being "Most Active" and actually include the Most Active Threads

(99 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:22:51

It should, in my opinion, include threads that people are posting on, not threads that people are just clicking on.

This comes from the Poll thread in chat about transgender athletes in the Olympics, which despite getting almost 400 posts in six hours has not appeared in Trending.

fidel1ne Tue 26-Jan-16 12:25:12

Couldn't agree more.

Dragonsdaughter Tue 26-Jan-16 12:26:45

Agree

Elendon Tue 26-Jan-16 12:28:15

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all.

I much preferred the most active.

I mean, who wants to read about someone cancelling a coffee meeting? and how is this trending?

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:28:41

And just to explain, as I put it on the other thread:

"Tending" according to mnhq is chosen as follows:

Every 5 minutes we get the list of top viewed threads from Google Analytics and we just display the first 5 of those.

In my view that is skewed because the very fact that a post is in Trending means it will get more views.

So if you have a thread that is posted and has 20 posts in 2 minutes, it gets into Trending, and stays there because people click on it because it's there iyswim.

So take the bridezilla thread, for example - it's been in trending all morning, but only has a total of 165 posts in over 14 hours. People see it in trending and click on it so it stays there.

The poll thread in chat has 370 messages (twice as many) in 6 hours (less than half the time) but because it isn't in Trending, not as many people click on it, so it doesn't get into Trending.

Your method of choosing Trending is wrong. It should go back to being Most Active, and have the, erm, most active threads in it - as in those that are being posted on.

fidel1ne Tue 26-Jan-16 12:28:47

'Trending' is very counter-intuitive.

Until the explanation RebeccaMumsnet just gave, I hadn't really realised what trending meant (counting viewers not posts).

How fast a thread is moving is a more useful thing to know.

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:30:09

There is now one about an exam, with only 14 posts on it [baffled]

How can that be trending?

DrDreReturns Tue 26-Jan-16 12:32:32

Get rid of 'Discussions of the Day' and have Trending and Most Active.

DrDreReturns Tue 26-Jan-16 12:33:21

How can that be trending?
Because loads of people have looked at it but not commented.

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:39:13

But but but ... once it gets into Trending it's going to stay there, isn't it, because everyone will look at it because it's in Trending.

<shoots self>

BeyondBootcampsAgain Tue 26-Jan-16 12:39:41

I rarely use "trending" so im not massively bothered. But i agree that the way it is currently done is self-perpetrating and so a bit pointless.

Elendon Tue 26-Jan-16 12:43:31

And people will remark if they look at mumsnet that all women care about are their coffee meetings, and women who don't let their children see their fathers.

Which is NOT what mumsnet is about.

DrDreReturns Tue 26-Jan-16 12:43:39

Yes you're right MaryZ! Like positive feedback control in biology. Most Active would be a more interesting imo. I think Discussions of the Day is boring, I'd relegate that to somewhere more obscure.

DrDreReturns Tue 26-Jan-16 12:45:26

Trending will, I think, include people who aren't members (I may be wrong but I don't think so going off the description above), so it won't give an accurate picture of what the members of the site are interested in.

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:45:46

When they gave us Trending, they told us it was just a name change.

But it isn't a namechange at all. It's a complete change in how they select threads for Trending.

It also explains why Trending threads are so often aibu threads - because loads of people just go into aibu and don't bother with the rest of the site.

redshoeblueshoe Tue 26-Jan-16 12:49:25

Protest oh I see that's what you are doing grin Maryz you are right

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:49:37

And it also explains why an incredibly fast-moving Celebrity Big Brother thread the other night wasn't on Trending.

I was looking for a quick link into it and it wasn't there.

Presumably because it's not clicked on by lurkers - despite having 500 posts in an hour we have no lives

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:50:30

<considers clicking eleventy million times on this thread just to see if I can get it into Trending>

<mutters>

fidel1ne Tue 26-Jan-16 12:51:38

You made me engage with the coffee meeting dilemma Maryz sad

fidel1ne Tue 26-Jan-16 12:51:42

You made me engage with the coffee meeting dilemma Maryz sad

Room101isWhereIUsedToLive Tue 26-Jan-16 12:52:11

Why isn't MNHQ commenting in any way on the poll thread about Trans People being allowed to compete according to their chosen gender.
From looking at that thread, there is a clear majority of posters who are concerned about this.
I can picture a Handmaiden type scenario where 'cis-woman' are giving birth in a manner akin to the scenario described in the Handmaids Tale.
That might be my imagination running away with me, but its still a scary thought.

fidel1ne Tue 26-Jan-16 12:54:43

In birthing centres? Or you mean the creepy, ritualistic three-person-on-a-bed conceptions?

Sorry if I'm missing the main point, but I'm interested in what you mean.

Maryz Tue 26-Jan-16 12:56:30

Not that unlikely, Room101.

In Canada maternity services have to refer to "birthing individuals" so as not to offend transgender men giving birth.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 26-Jan-16 13:00:43

I agree Maryz and the current 'Trending' often contains deleted posts.

CrayonShavings Tue 26-Jan-16 13:01:51

Yanbu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now