To quit my job tomorrow?

(25 Posts)
givepeasachance Mon 25-Jan-16 01:06:34

I hate it.
It sucks.
The people I work for are nasty micromanaging toads.
I only did it because I was desperate.

I was desperate because I used to work for self and my biggest contract was cancelled without warning (something outside my control completely) and I've been doing it for 3 months.

I am lone parent.
I have some inheritance arriving in next few weeks which will tide me over 2.5 months.

AIBU and irresponsible to quit without having something else lined up?

ilovesooty Mon 25-Jan-16 01:18:25

What are you going to live on for the next few weeks?

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 25-Jan-16 01:21:29

AIBU and irresponsible to quit without having something else lined up

yes. at least was until the inheritance is actually in your bank account. start looking for new jobs tomorrow, before/after work and at lunchtime. do keep going to work.

givepeasachance Mon 25-Jan-16 01:27:35

Ok. You are right of course.

It's overwhelmingly bad but I gotta suck it up I guess.

I can always sleep but this thought / desire to quit has been keeping me up tonight.

whatdoIget Mon 25-Jan-16 01:54:41

Get another job first, then you can spend your inheritance on something nice/useful, or save if

whatdoIget Mon 25-Jan-16 01:54:55

Save it not if

figureofspeech Mon 25-Jan-16 02:39:00

It's easier to go from one job to another but I do understand it's difficult to stay when work is crap. I had a shit time at work and quit to become a stay at home parent.

Dust off your cv, apply for jobs and quit when you get a new one. Save the inheritance for a proper rainy day. Lock it away for a bit.

www.theguardian.com/careers

jobs.mumsnet.com/jobs/

hufflebottom Mon 25-Jan-16 03:12:16

Look for another job. See if you can start after a school holiday and maybe go away for a break between the 2 jobs

But I wouldn't say quit without something else as you may find you're still looking for something a year down the line.

It depends on how bad it really is, it's bad enough to be keeping you awake, but is it so bad that the risk of an indeterminate stretch of unemployment is the lesser of the two?

I will never put a job before my mental health again.

Clearoutre Mon 25-Jan-16 05:52:08

Secretly planning your next move will help you cope with the job from hell so put your efforts that way for a while (may give yourself a month?). I agree that being 'currently employed' gives you a better chance of landing a good offer whether that's the job itself or the salary offered.

It might sound futile but also think about ways to cope with your current workplace...can you focus on getting onto a better footing with just one 'toad' and try to engineer working with them more than the others?

I second the Guardian careers section - check out Ask Jeremy's work problems page.

Katenka Mon 25-Jan-16 06:43:15

I wouldn't. The inheritance may take longer to come through than expected and it's easier to get a job when you have one. Or it's takes longer to find a new job and the inheritance disappears?

I second that looking for a new job can ease the shit feelings that come with a shit job.

HelpfulChap Mon 25-Jan-16 06:58:06

Wait til the money is in the bank.

I can't wait until the day I can hand my notice in. Because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel (3-4 years) every day is torture.

I'm not a big drinker but I am going to get pissed for a week when I finally get out.

VitaSackvileVest Mon 25-Jan-16 07:09:22

Why not play "Toad Bingo" to get you through the days until you have another job lined up.

Make a mental list of the annoying and nasty things they come out with. Think of nice things to look forward to -cup of coffee, gin when you get home, watching favorite program, chatting to someone you like etc. etc.
When you get a line - for 3 toady things, treat yourself later. If you get all of them in one day say "toad bingo" and pump your fist - and have a bumper load of treats.

PitPatKitKat Mon 25-Jan-16 07:18:07

I got six months out of carrying an undated resignation letter round in my handbag. Found another job and then wrote a whole new letter as the original was a bit dog eared by then!

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Mon 25-Jan-16 07:21:19

Lol vita that sounds fun!

Clearoutre Mon 25-Jan-16 07:26:32

Love that PitPat ! Imagine you'd given the old letter & made it obvious how long you've been wanting to leave for by its ear-dogged-ness! Hope your new job worked out.

Clearoutre Mon 25-Jan-16 07:28:28

Brilliant Vita ...toads win treats!

Obs2016 Mon 25-Jan-16 07:48:05

What other jobs have you applied for recently ? Is there much around?

NorksAreMessy Mon 25-Jan-16 07:51:06

What is your skill set?

Redhound Mon 25-Jan-16 07:51:43

Pitpat I did that too only I had dated it, so I kept tippexing the date out and adding a new one until it was a 3D date :p
I agree its better to stay in the job but blitz the job-hunting as this will help you survive the rubbish job as you know your escape is imminent. If it really is upsetting you too much then quit as life is too short. Just try not to let them get to you.

SuperFlyHigh Mon 25-Jan-16 08:02:57

I quit without another job to go to last October. I'd had enough (it was very much confrontational, infighting etc).

However, with hindsight (I'm a legal pa/secretary so easy to find temporary work) I wouldn't do it again....

I have savings, investments etc but still have a mortgage (no kids) and I found it very stressful looking for a new job as most people don't leave jobs before Christmas! Luckily I got a permanent job at the start of December but I wouldn't do it this way round again, just walk out. Also you have to think of reasons why suddenly leaving looks good on your CV, my reasons I can just about justify but could you justify yours?

I wouldn't do it.

SSargassoSea Mon 25-Jan-16 08:07:19

Don't do it without sleeping on it for a few nights.

I did this, marched in and resigned, OMG had to go back and ask for job back cos I realized I'd need a reference for the next one.

Idiot! I was in tears on the way to work that day as I hated it so much, but should have thought it through.

SuperFlyHigh Mon 25-Jan-16 08:25:41

I would also get a job hunting plan or retraining if you need or want it in place. If you take small steps towards helping yourself job wise that can cushion the blow.

I agree with toad bingo too!

Don't do what I did whereby a new young (keen as mustard type) started who then was in charge or booking holiday etc and quizzed me about any time I took off (for interviews or other stuff which I made up time for!). He basically got my back up a bit when I spoke to my colleague she said just tell him to mind his own business, it's your holiday! This man I think either a month after he started or 2 weeks also took a 2 week holiday!

givepeasachance Mon 25-Jan-16 09:40:24

Well I managed to make it through the first hour. That's despite toady boss saying to young, hard working very shy colleague, in front of everyone, "isn't it your 3 month probation this week? You need to impress me. And you are not"

This place challenges my view on the decency of humanity

I need to start on job hunting in earnest. I went into a bit of a fog taking this job to avert financial disaster. It's served its purpose and must move on.

WizzardHat Mon 25-Jan-16 11:27:01

What's the temping market like where you are? That does sound bloody awful - but if you work your notice and get a temp job lined up it might be ok. Possibly a little patchy on the CV, I have similar but went into contracting after my three month stint with toads so hoping that doesn't look too bad. Is it even a similar job to what you usually do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now