to consider David Attenborough our greatest national asset ?

(75 Posts)
Marilynsbigsister Sun 24-Jan-16 19:17:02

Happy to be proved otherwise but he is 90 this year and STILL making Sunday night docs that make our jaws drop.. Any other nominees welcome.

FireCrotch Sun 24-Jan-16 19:22:20

He is my ds' inspiration. He's 11. I agree with you. All my 3 are downstairs glued to the documentary about titanosaur.

Chorltonswheelies422 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:26:48

I so admire him - a true legend. He has a real talent and I love the gentle humour he puts into the narration. Admire to that he was a wonderful success as the controller of BBC2 and commissioned the likely lads and snooker (among others) before deciding to go with his true passion which was natural history.

NeedACleverNN Sun 24-Jan-16 19:28:36

I admire him aswell

An animal documentary won't be the same without his narration

PirateSmile Sun 24-Jan-16 19:30:45

He's brilliant. Dp and I have just been discussing him and DP described him, amongst other things as, completely without ego.

Birdsgottafly Sun 24-Jan-16 19:30:58

In his field he is. He's always at the top of the Poles.

That's recognised in his awards which led to him now being a 'Sir'.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 24-Jan-16 19:32:21

He's a brilliant man OP.

FadedRed Sun 24-Jan-16 19:32:24

Definitely agree, amazing man.

Gruntfuttock Sun 24-Jan-16 19:34:44

I used to think of him as a national treasure, but recently saw him described as a world treasure and agree that's what he is. A truly amzing man.

Gruntfuttock Sun 24-Jan-16 19:35:19

Amazing I mean.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 24-Jan-16 19:36:14

YANBU at all.

NameRanger Sun 24-Jan-16 19:36:57

I think he's great. If I had to be stuck on a desert island with people, he would be one of my top choices.

londonrach Sun 24-Jan-16 19:40:04

Hes lovely. Agree op. Think my dad meet him once for 5 mins when he gave a talk at some conferdence (david attenbourgh was giving the talk) and sir attenbourgh didnt mind signing his autograph twice for both my sister and myself. We were in our teens at the time (so a few years ago..) and very impressed when dad gave us the autograph. Dad said he was a nice man. :-)

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 24-Jan-16 19:41:05

Yanbu

Goingtobeawesome Sun 24-Jan-16 19:42:34

I'm pretty sure he'll live forever. He's awesome.

I missed the dinosaur name though. The paper said it was going to be announced at the end of the programme and might be Attenboroughsaurus smile.

CraftyMissus Sun 24-Jan-16 19:44:17

Yanbu one bit smile a friend of my DH works with David Attenborough on a regular basis and always tells us he is wonderful to work with. He is still amazingly energetic and passionate about explaining the wonders around us.

During filming for his latest doc, the team all laid down to compare their height to a dinosaur femur. Seeing them, Attenborough insisted on joining in and dropped onto the dusty floor to stretch out.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sun 24-Jan-16 19:50:45

I had the great pleasure of meeting him at a literary event about 25 years ago. He was the most lovely man, really easy to deal with (he was there as a 'star') and was so unassuming.

I'm looking forward to watching the dinosaur programme on the iPlayer.

VertigoNun Sun 24-Jan-16 19:52:28

Yanbu, he seems amazing in many ways.

Upthenoonoo Sun 24-Jan-16 19:53:48

Yanbu. Dh and I were saying the same just now. It's his voice as well isn't it? He's fab smile

londonrach Sun 24-Jan-16 19:54:29

His voice....(faints)

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 24-Jan-16 19:56:19

Yabu. He is fabulous though.

ASmallHenInItsLateForties Sun 24-Jan-16 19:56:36

Yes agree. Was just saying the same whilst watching him. He's just lovely! smile.

Leelu6 Sun 24-Jan-16 20:01:03

World treasure, indeed, Grunt.

Be was also very fit in those early docs from the 70s!

EponasWildDaughter Sun 24-Jan-16 20:08:18

Love him.

I remember when he was asked recently, having just completed a new series, what his goal was - baring in mind how much he has already done. He thought for a moment and pleasantly said something like:

''At this point, my goal is just to wake up in the morning ... and it's a bonus when i can get out of bed as well!'.

grin So down to earth.

dementedma Sun 24-Jan-16 20:11:36

Another huge fan here! Seems to be an utterly delightful man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now