To be thrilled I've not smoked for a WEEK!

(67 Posts)
TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 23-Jan-16 13:38:26

Well it's actually 8 days. I got an ecig...but a posh one...having already failed to give up on those cheaper style "pen-like" ones, I invested in one with a hefty battery and more power.

I've gone from smoking 30 a day...yes...THIRTY a day to none.

I have had one slip up where I found a pack with a cigarette left in it on day three and I smoked it...well...I had about three drags and it was gross.

I'm aware that the jury's out on ecigs but hey! At least they're cheaper.

grin

Plan is to drop my nicotine strength soon...and then ditch the ecig when I'm ready.

I've smoked for twenty years. I haven't ever been able to give up with patches or gum or anything...I'm so relieved! It was costing a fortune and of course..the health issue. I know this isn't a proper AIBU but heck....I'm excited! I just thought about smoking and didn't want to!

hownottofuckup Sat 23-Jan-16 13:39:39

Well done! People like you give me hope so thank you for sharing flowers

lionheart Sat 23-Jan-16 13:39:46

Good for you!

WorraLiberty Sat 23-Jan-16 13:40:16

Congratulations!

The e.cig was a godsend to me when I gave up.

TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 23-Jan-16 13:42:48

Thank you. grin

It's pretty good.

I advise a good quality unit if you're thinking of it!

liz70 Sat 23-Jan-16 13:43:37

Definitely not U at all! Very well done you!

TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 23-Jan-16 13:44:02

Worra are you off the ecig now?

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 23-Jan-16 13:46:23

Well done!

Which ecig are you using? (asking for a friend grin )

BlueMoonRising Sat 23-Jan-16 13:46:49

Well done, that's a great achievement.

WorraLiberty Sat 23-Jan-16 13:49:31

Yes I came off it years ago and not on purpose either.

I couldn't get it to charge and I was too tight to buy another one grin

But I realised that I'd used it less and less anyway, so I didn't really miss it.

The only advice I'd give, is to stick to your normal smoking habits. So if you smoked outdoors, you should vape outdoors too.

I'm saying this because I know a few people who decided to vape indoors as it doesn't smell, but that meant their nicotine intake doubled as they could puff in comfort while watching TV/reading etc.

TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 23-Jan-16 13:56:03

Bore It's this

www.eleafworld.com/istick-tc40w/

Worra ha! That's a good tip!

I've tried to go out...I keep vaping in my office though blush

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 23-Jan-16 13:57:28

My friend says thank you for the link grin

Grilledaubergines Sat 23-Jan-16 13:58:54

Well done. It's a huge achievement.

Mrsmorton Sat 23-Jan-16 14:00:16

Good work OP, keep it up.

CakeFail Sat 23-Jan-16 14:02:23

Yanbu! That's amazing.

TheHoneyBadger Sat 23-Jan-16 14:03:24

great isn't it? i'm nearly 8 weeks in. never mind the naysayers - the tar, carbon monoxide and a ton of chemicals have been cut out of your life - that'll do for now pig wink

like you i've tried a cigarette and been pleased to find it was mostly a 'yuck' response and knowing i genuinely preferred the vaping.

TheHoneyBadger Sat 23-Jan-16 14:04:39

you get less nicotine anyway from vaping - whatever strength you don't get the same nictotine hit as a cigarette/rollie so don't risk the process by trying to cut back just now.

TheHouseOnTheLane Sat 23-Jan-16 14:07:45

honey in the past, I heard ex smokers say it tasted yuk when they smoked and I just couldn't believe them!

Now I can.

WhataRacquet Sat 23-Jan-16 14:10:04

Well done. I have some questions for you please!

What brand did you smoke and how do you know which juice to use to replicate the taste?

I would love to quit but like you have tried everything before including one of those e cigs you can buy in supermarkets.

AyeAmarok Sat 23-Jan-16 14:18:06

Well done you!

I heard a man on the radio who had been smoking for 68 years shock and had quit. He said he started using an e-cig and felt so much healthier really quickly.

He then gave himself a rule that he couldn't smoke the e-cig until, say, after 4pm, but that he could have as many as he wanted between 4pm and bedtime. He then realised that there are physically only so many you can have in that time, so it naturally went from 20 a day to 10. Then he said 6pm, and he was down to five or six.

Then he just stopped altogether.

Amazing wee man.

saltlakecity Sat 23-Jan-16 15:43:11

That's amazing. We'll done you! Keep going.

IfItsGoodEnough4ShirleyBassey Sat 23-Jan-16 15:46:21

* \o/ * * \o/ * * \o/ * * \o/ *

<Cheerleader emoticon somewhat hampered by MN's use of asterisks to produce bold text>

Grilledaubergines Sat 23-Jan-16 15:54:19

OP, do you miss the cigs?

I want to stop so much. And I don't think anyone who hasn't smoked will understand when I say I can't imagine a good night out without smoking.

I can't imagine not missing the lovely lovely cigarette after a meal. Or the first of the day.

It's so encouraging when you read of successes.

How does the cost compare to cigs?

SomebodySedateMe Sat 23-Jan-16 16:19:43

Well done! I managed to go down to 6mg then finally 0mg which was a bit odd as there's no throat hit at all. Relied on that for a while then stopped altogether.

Have you gone for a flavoured juice? I got hooked on vodka, lemon and lime from alchemists cupboard. Pricey but of course cheaper than the alternative!

kimlo Sat 23-Jan-16 16:27:38

I have vaped for over a year. Im on 0.6 now, but when this bottle is finished Im going down to 0.3. Next step is 0 and I think Im ready for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now