to think that if there was only a best actor award, then we would see sexism as well in the Oscars

(23 Posts)
katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 12:34:27

No category for best male / best female.

Just best actor. Then the people who are saying there's no racism involved and no issues at all would realise there are issues.

Would we see an all white male shortlist?

Arfarfanarf Sat 23-Jan-16 12:43:57

very probably.

chinam Sat 23-Jan-16 12:45:29

Totally agree with you.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 12:47:01

I do kind of find it ironic when people complain about separate categories, short listing, getting there on merit etc - that there already are separate categories for male and female.

If the awards wanted to be truly about acting, it should just be a single award for the best performance.

Trills Sat 23-Jan-16 12:48:56

If the awards wanted to be truly about acting, it should just be a single award for the best performance.

That'd be nice.

If we thought that we ("we" being whoever decides these things) could be trusted not to be biased.

I don't think we can.

(short answer: I agree with you)

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 23-Jan-16 12:49:35

Katmanwho

What would you suggest the answer is?

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 23-Jan-16 12:52:06

X-post but as you posted, whatever you do someone will always complain, So the question still stands.

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 12:52:50

Now that's a good question. I suspect the same answer is similar to other industries where there seems to be discrimination going on with women, black people.

The issue needs to be recognised first. Then steps need to be taken to get the talent in, nurture it and try to reduce discrimination.

I think that problem is more than a sound bite.

How do you tackle the lack of diversity in any industry?

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 12:53:53

And then you get people saying - you didn't get there on merit, you got there as part of a quota.

handslikecowstits Sat 23-Jan-16 13:04:18

YANBU.

Women in Hollywood generally play 'the love interest' in films. This is partly why films such as Alien got so much attention - the lead was a woman in a challenging, non stereotypical role. Sad really that the film was made in 1979 and we haven't moved on from that all that much. Female superheroes for example have to wear tight costumes and look flawless.

So younger women = love interest, downtrodden mother, hysterical nutter, betrayed wife and so on

Older women = erm...Meryl Streep!

katmanwho Sat 23-Jan-16 13:17:59

That would be interesting - a summary of the women who have been nominated and the roles they played compared to the men.

Or has it been done already?

pinkdelight Sat 23-Jan-16 16:36:11

At the very least I wish they'd alternate the order so actress isn't always a preamble to actor. How the hell they get away with the automatic assumption that Best Actor is the main event is beyond me.

Trills Sat 23-Jan-16 19:09:50

I watched Room this week and Brie Larson is brilliant in it. Jennifer Lawrence is always wonderful but I didn't think Joy was particularly stand-out.

Of the Best Actor nominations, the only one I've seen is Michael Fassbender in/as Steve Jobs, although I'd like to see The Danish Girl and I'm sad I missed The Martian.

MaisyMooMoo Sat 23-Jan-16 19:45:26

Perhaps when a woman gets the role of Jane Bond 007 we might be a step nearer to equality in the industry.

MizK Sat 23-Jan-16 19:49:47

I totally agree. There would be a token woman each year...maybe. probably white.

The Oscars uproar this year has been too long in coming. But the likes of Jada Pinkett Smith aren't enough, some of the nominated white actors need to boycott too. Which will never happen.

JolseBaby Sat 23-Jan-16 21:15:17

I absolutely agree that this is an issue which needs a spotlight on it. I think it's unfortunate though that some of the actors who are being so vocal about it, perhaps don't stick to their principles when the world's media isn't watching.

Blind Gossip blogged about this recently; given Will Smith's comments about the racial inequalities of the Awards, you'd expect him to do everything possible to try and work with the most diverse teams about. However according to BG almost every director he has worked with - via his own production company - is white.

BoneyBackJefferson Sat 23-Jan-16 23:30:56

I know that its just an example but why would you want a Jane Bond 007? James Bond is a misogynistic arse of the highest calibre.

I can't remember where its from (I am steeling this from someone but I agree with it) but we need high quality roles for women not just rehashed female versions of male characters.

quietbatperson Sun 24-Jan-16 13:58:30

I know it's never going to win best picture, but the strong female lead in the new star wars film was very refreshing. How depressing though that it is so unusual to have a strong character that happens to be a woman, in 2016

StrawberryDelight Sun 24-Jan-16 14:09:08

I don't really understand if those boycotting have a point tbh...it's an all white shortlist, OK. Are there any examples of non-white actors/actresses that have been passed over? Or just a case that there are no high grossing/popular films last year with a non-white lead?

If it's the former then I agree with the boycott. If it's the latter then I don't really see what the fuss is about in regards to the awards...the fuss should be about the industry in general and those that choose the cast, not the ceremony/nominee list.

Narp Sun 24-Jan-16 14:33:08

MizK

Mark Ruffallo said on breakfast TV that he may boycott. Wonder if he will

MizK Sun 24-Jan-16 14:47:29

Strawberry the problem is the lack of casting non white actors in leads for Oscar-bait films. The point has been made that unless there is a film about slavery, it is unlikely that a black person will be nominated. The likes of Viola Davies are not considered for the same roles as Cate Blanchett, despite being equally gifted. So if, in the last two years there weren't any non white actors who had a meaty enough role in a quality film to be eligible for nomination, that is the issue.

MizK Sun 24-Jan-16 14:48:53

Narp that's good to hear, I'm sure more would like to but expect there is huge pressure from the industry for nominees to attend- could be taken as ingratitude if they don't.

araiba Sun 24-Jan-16 15:09:39

why would anyone want a female James Bond?

He wouldn't be James Bond any more, so whats the point?

No actor has won an oscar for playing james bond either. Never been a female Jason Bourne, Freddy Krueger, Ironman, Hercules, Thor etc either. No male Miss Marple, Mary Poppins, Erin Brockovich etc either. what a ridiculous statement

but yes, the whole thing needs changing, but then the oscars are a waste of time these days anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now