To complain about security in this store?

(20 Posts)
hippowithsuncreen Thu 21-Jan-16 20:10:25

I appreciate security have a job to do but I resent being stalked around the store, it doesn't make a pleasant shopping experience! I visited a branch different to the one i usually use this week to buy a specific product and general shopping. I picked up two products of the same type of different brands to look at the ingredients to check which one didn't contain a product i am intollerant to. The security guard came and stood literally at the side of me. I walked over to the till after a couple of minutes and he too went over that way and stood near the till. I paid without doing any other shopping and started to make my way towards the exit when i saw some sales products that my child had been asking for and he appeared again. I started to look at the sales products even though he was partially in the way of the shelves and didn't move when he could see me looking and he said goodbye to me despite the fact i was still looking. I picked up the sales item and paid for that too before leaving again past him.

It made me completely uncomfortable and i left without looking round the rest of the store.

Aibu?

fieldfare Thu 21-Jan-16 20:13:44

No you're not. I know they have a job to do but that was intimidating, unpleasant and over zealous. I'd email the store manager.

Hassled Thu 21-Jan-16 20:14:41

I suppose you complain by writing a letter addressed to the manager - you don't need a name - and explaining that you were made to feel intimidated and uncomfortable by the behaviour of the security guard on X date and time.

But it is weird, though. Do you look young - the teenage girl shoplifting demographic? Did you have a pushchair?

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Thu 21-Jan-16 20:15:16

Ynbu. There's doing your job properly but then there's abusing his power. I mean I could understand if you had form for stealing.
You were either the only one in the shop, or he singled you out because he can't have been following everyone around, can he.

sootica Thu 21-Jan-16 20:15:27

I would have asked him outright if there was any particular reason he was following you so closely. Or maybe spoken to the staff at the till to say it had been an uncomfortable experience. It sounds like he maybe mistakenly thought you were a shoplifter he recognised?

hippowithsuncreen Thu 21-Jan-16 20:17:36

There was hardly anyone in the store, I only saw two other people both elderly. Ibam almost 40, was in office clothes with no pushchair.
He made me feel uncomfortable tbh.

PositivePete Thu 21-Jan-16 20:23:24

He might of fancied you!!!

Andrewofgg Thu 21-Jan-16 20:25:42

Maybe you look like a previous shoplifter?

goodnightdarthvader1 Thu 21-Jan-16 20:29:51

You were a woman alone. Enough said.

I'd complain. This happened to me recently, but it was the manager doing it!

hippowithsuncreen Thu 21-Jan-16 20:33:02

'Maybe you look like a previous shoplifter?'
That is the only thing i can think of but surely a previous shoplifter would have been banned from the store already and asked to leave if seen?

Andrewofgg Thu 21-Jan-16 20:37:57

Not necessarily. Somebody who has been acting suspiciously before but has always managed to slope off with or without her (by definition a woman if the OP is as I assume) ill-gotten gains may be watched carefully.

Marcipex Thu 21-Jan-16 20:49:29

He said goodbye to you, while you were still browsing the shelves?

How rude!

BolshierAryaStark Thu 21-Jan-16 20:54:35

I'm like sootica & would have asked him outright what the problem was. Yes I think you should complain as he was clearly over zealous & saying goodbye to you whilst you were still browsing is so bloody rude.

hippowithsuncreen Thu 21-Jan-16 21:00:11

Yes Marcipex!

I was in an aisle that led to the exit at this point but still a way from the door. I wasn't expecting the gift sets to be where they were but because it was a final reduction type display from Christmas they had put them there hence me stopping to look again after i had paid for my product.

Tbh i had intended to look properly round the store before paying for the first product but felt uncomfortable!

CandOdad Thu 21-Jan-16 21:00:39

My Grandad (at the age of 79) went off to the DIY shop once. We got really worried when he was gone for four hours for what should have been an hour at most. When he got back he had a good chuckle about how he had been followed by plain clothes security so decided to wonder around aimlessly and see how long it took the bloke to get bored. He saw it as irritating since he was doing nothing wrong and it was more entertaining than coming home and fixing the TV aerial.

hippowithsuncreen Thu 21-Jan-16 21:01:50

And when he said goodbye i had actually stopped to pick up a sales item so it was clear I wasn't leaving yet.

SaucyJack Thu 21-Jan-16 21:02:48

I used to play hide and seek with over-enthusiastic shop security in my youth.

Passes the time anyway.

hippowithsuncreen Thu 21-Jan-16 21:04:06

grin CandOdad

Audweb81 Thu 21-Jan-16 21:16:22

The last security guard to do that to me in a shop fancied me and we later hooked up winkhe was very handsome blush

GruntledOne Thu 21-Jan-16 21:29:36

A friend of mine got so pissed off with the security guard following her round the other day that she decided not to point out to him someone else she saw shoplifting pretty blatantly. It was somewhat obvious that his main reason for following her was that she is Asian.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now